7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2014 :  09:19:12 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls!

Need a chocolate fix???? Read on....

I came across this recipe on the internet the other day. There are several versions on several websites, but this is the one I settled on. SO happy I did!

Now, I can't exactly call this a lava cake, because it is HUGE and it is more of a pudding-y consistency... but it sure will bubble in the crock pot while cooking, so in a waaaay, it's kind of a lava cake...

Either way, oh my gosh... This is not for the faint-hearted. I made it for my guys for Valentine's Day, and served it warm with a little bit of cream on top. MWAH! It's absolutely delicious, and even though it's loaded with chocolate, it doesn't overwhelm with chocolate-y-ness. I honestly think it would've been just fine plain, and even better with a spoonful of vanilla ice cream on the side... You just HAVE to try it and figure out what makes YOU happiest!

Here goes:

1 pkg. of plain devils food cake mix

2 small (1.4 ounce) or 1 large (3.9 ounce) pkg. of instant chocolate pudding mix (I had one sm. chocolate and one sm. vanilla on hand, so I added a big squirt of Hershey's chocolate syrup, too)

2 cups of sour cream

4 large eggs

¾ cup of coconut oil (any vegetable oil is fine, truly, but I used the suggested coconut oil since I had it on hand)

1 teaspoon of vanilla extract

1 teaspoon of almond extract (or 2 teaspoons vanilla if you’re not using almond extract)

1 12-oz. pkg. of semi-sweet chocolate chips.

Combine all the ingredients, except the chocolate chips, in a large bowl. Mix by hand with a wooden spoon. Do not over stir. The mixture will be somewhat stiff (almost like a heavy brownie-batter-consistency), but just keep stirring until you have incorporated all of the dry ingredients into the mixture. Fold in the chocolate chips.

Spray your crock pot with non-stick spray or grease the sides and bottom well (I greased with coconut oil). Pour the mixture into the slow cooker, spread and cook on low for three hours, then turn the crock pot to high for 35-45 minutes until done. (I just cooked on low for about 4 hours - we left the house for a bit, so I'm not sure exactly when it was done. We did have a small area of scorched chocolate which could probabley have been avoided had I been home to turn off the crock pot as soon as it was finished.). When finished, you'll be able to gently touch the center top of the cake without getting chocolate on your finger.

Serve warm. This is the most delicious cake I've ever tasted, believe me. You will NOT be disappointed! For sure, this is best served warm, but the guys are still eating it cold and loving every bite of it. I'm sure this can also be gently re-heated in the microwave (we don't use a microwave) - just be careful not to scorch the chocolate. :)

Enjoy!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3440 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3440 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2014 :  1:37:39 PM  Show Profile
Nini,
This sounds so good, I will have to try it sometime. I have to get cake mix first. Thanks for posting, sounds devine.

Farmgirl #5111
Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2014 :  09:36:29 AM  Show Profile
Nini,

Thank you for posting this it sounds so yummy. I LOVE chocolate. Gonna have to try this one.

hugs
Marcy

Farmgirl #170

Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give...Eleanor Roosevelt

http://marcysworldofcreativity.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Marcy on Feb 18 2014 09:36:52 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Need A Chocolate Fix? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page