hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2013 :  4:28:26 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for the craft idea! My kids (and I) will LOVE making those!!!
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3099 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3099 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2013 :  6:34:02 PM  Show Profile
Sharon - They don't look as good as your marshmallows do!! But here you go anyway: Grinch Cookies

Are the marshmallows hard to make? If not would you mind sharing the recipe? Would you like the recipe for the Grinch cookies? They're very easy and VERY YUMMY!!!!

I was going to start wrapping my gifts tonight, but a neighbor boy (teenager) apparently forgot that when there's about 8 inches of snow on the ground and you can't really see the road you need to slow way down when you go around 90 degree curves. He went through our fence. Drove right over top of a metal post and got it wedged underneath! He broke the electric fence and the bottom 3 strands of the barbed wire, but the top 2 strands rode up his hood, windshield, and roof leaving marks the entire way! 2 of my husbands friends showed up on their snowmobiles and the neighbor boys showed up on their 4-wheeler and sled(as in round plastic saucer sled not snowmobile sled). The teenagers mom came too. We got him pulled out and the fencepost removed. Then I fixed supper for me and hubby while the 2 friends ate some Christmas cookies. Now they're out snowmobiling and I think I'm going to make a cup of tea and read. The wrapping will just have to wait until tomorrow:)

Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
http://nndairy.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2013 :  10:55:56 PM  Show Profile
Well CJ, it looks like I will have to bring you some!

Shannon, Teri provided the great craft idea :) They are so cute!

Heather, Your cookies look so cute! Could you post the recipe?

Marshmallows aren't that hard to make, just time consuming. I have been making them for 16 years now :) They are easier to make with a Kitchen-Aid or stand mixer because the 'batter' needs to be whisked for 10-15 minutes.

Homemade Marshmallows

4 envelopes unflavored gelatin
1 1/2 cups water
3 cups sugar
1 1/4 cups light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract (I now use 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and 1 teaspoon butter extract for a Buttercream flavor)
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, plus additional for rolling

Spray a 10x13-inch Pyrex baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. In the bowl of a standing electric mixer, soften the gelatin with 3/4 cup of the water.

Place the sugar, corn syrup, the remaining 3/4-cup water, and the salt in a heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook over high heat until the syrup reaches 234-240 degrees on a candy thermometer (or until it reaches soft-ball stage).With the whisk attachment of the mixer at full speed, beat the hot syrup slowly into the gelatin until the mixture is very stiff, about 15 minutes. Beat in the vanilla.

Pour the mixture prepared dish and smooth the top with an oiled spatula. Allow the mixture to rest, uncovered, at room temperature 10-12 hours. Using a fine sieve, sprinkle the powdered sugar onto a cutting board. Turn the stiffened marshmallow mixture out onto the sugar, and using a pizza cutter dipped in powdered sugar cut marshmallows into squares. Be sure to dip the cut edges of the marshmallows into the powdered sugar to prevent sticking. Yield: About 40 marshmallows

** Don't skimp and use cheaper corn syrup. I have tried and the marshmallows don't set right. Use Karo.

**Don’t forget to adjust for altitude: For every 1000 feet above sea level subtract 2 degrees from temperature.

Toasted Coconut Marshmallows:

Use the same recipe but instead of using powdered sugar substitute Toasted Coconut.

The recipe is basically for the Homemade Marshmallows but here is what I did:

-I took one bag of flaked Coconut per batch of marshmallows and toasted it. I let it cool before using.
-Then I used butter to grease the pyrex pan. I placed about a third of the coconut along the bottom of the pan.
-After mixing up the "batter" for the marshmallows I poured it into the pan and spread it out.
-Then I sprinkled another third of the coconut on top covering it. I patted it down lightly so it would stick.
-After I removed the marshmallows from the pan, I used a pizza cutter dipped in powdered sugar to cut with.
-I rolled the cut sides of the marshmallow in the remaining toasted coconut.

Chocolate Marshmallows:

It is basically the same recipe but add the following ingredients:

1/3 cup sifted baking cocoa
1 cup powdered sugar sifted with 1/3 cup baking cocoa (to roll marshmallows in) *I also used a whisk to make sure that both were evenly distributed

Follow the same instructions but add the 1/3 cup sifted baking cocoa once the syrup is incorporated. (after mixing ingredients and cooking to soft-ball stage).

Pour the mixture prepared dish and smooth the top with an oiled spatula. Allow the mixture to rest, uncovered, at room temperature 10-12 hours. Sprinkle the powdered sugar and cocoa mixture onto a cutting board. Turn the stiffened marshmallow mixture out onto the sugar, cut into squares with a lightly oiled knife. Be sure to dip the cut edges of the marshmallows into the powdered sugar cocoa mixture to prevent sticking.

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

http://amerryheartjournal.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Calicogirl on Dec 16 2013 11:00:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2013 :  10:20:46 AM  Show Profile
Awesome, Sharon! Thank you!!!!

Love the Grinch Cookies, too, Heather!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3099 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3099 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2013 :  10:28:53 AM  Show Profile
Thanks so much Sharon! I just got a kitchen aid stand mixer for my birthday - and I've been putting it to good use!! They're WONDERFUL!!!!

Here's the Grinch cookies recipe:

1 box French vanilla cake mix
6 Tablespoons butter - melted
2 eggs
green food coloring
1 cup powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix the cake mix, melted butter, and eggs. Add food coloring. Drop by spoonful into powdered sugar - the dough is sticky so I use 2 spoons - one to scoop the dough and one to push it off the other spoon. Roll the dough around to coat with powdered sugar then roll into a ball. Place on a cookie sheet and bake for approximately 9 minutes. Do not over cook. They're a bit gooey looking. I remove them from the cookie sheet right away so the bottoms don't get too done. I don't know about high altitude adjustments - I don't have to worry about it here.
Hope you enjoy them as much as I do!!

Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
http://nndairy.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5153 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5153 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2013 :  4:39:28 PM  Show Profile
Heather, I love the Grinch cookies! thanks for posting the recipe!!

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13639 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13639 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2013 :  5:31:14 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I've never tried to MAKE Sharon's Marshies . . . cuz she does it and I just buy them from her.
But they are the best and I'll NEVER, NEVER, NEVER go back to those pathetic things you buy in the store. Did I say "NEVER"?
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2013 :  06:42:56 AM  Show Profile
Making muffins and Christmas jam for the neighbors this year...just finished the jam...will make muffins on Friday when I am off and Natalie and I will deliver Friday night. Here is the recipe for the jam....
Christmas Jam
2 cups cranberries
1 orange peeled and quartered
16oz frozen strawberries
3 cups sugar
3oz envelope of liquid pectin

Grind cranberries and orange in food processor/should be quite coarse.
Put strawberries, cranberries, orange and sugar in a heavy saucepan, bring to boil and boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in pectin, skim off foam. Put into jelly jars and water process for 10 mins!!

Yummy!!

Lori

God has promised strength for the day, rest for the labor, light for the way, grace for the trials, help from above, unfailing sympathy and undying love.

We are here to love each other, serve each other and uplift each other.
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2013 :  07:32:40 AM  Show Profile
Aaaaw CJ!!!
We haven't gone back either, even if we need mini-marshmallows :)

Lori, that sounds so good! Thanks for sharing, I love cranberries and strawberries too! How fun for you and Natalie, I love delivering goodies :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2013 :  09:11:57 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Heather! I will be making those this year! While wearing my new apron :)
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13639 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13639 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2013 :  11:13:26 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Some tartan plaid wire edged ribbon, 3 cup hooks and I have a display for Christmas cards over one of my large living room windows. Hang them up with some mini clothespins and enjoy!!

Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2013 :  1:02:16 PM  Show Profile
Awesome idea CJ!! Hope you don't mind if I use it too!!

Lori

God has promised strength for the day, rest for the labor, light for the way, grace for the trials, help from above, unfailing sympathy and undying love.

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13639 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13639 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2013 :  2:13:27 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Hey Lori . . . and any other farmgirls!
Go for it . . . it's working well. Love having them where they can be seen and not just standing up somewhere and they constantly get knocked over, or such.
I have another one over the 2nd window like this and am just hanging the horizontal design cards on it over the ribbon.
Enjoy!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2013 :  12:14:43 PM  Show Profile
Very cute CJ!!! I just love plaid at Christmas :)

I saw this idea for an ornament/canning jar lid craft and thought it was neat:

http://dickybirdsnest.blogspot.com/2013/12/thrifty-thursday-recycled-christmas.html

You will have to scroll down a bit.

I made some Hot Pepper Caramels for my honey today for Christmas (normally I make Chipotle Caramels, but had some Habaneros and Thai Peppers that we dried and ground so I used some of the powder),onto making some Moustache Wax for him. Just about done with preparations.

I would love to hear what is on your Christmas menu :)
We are having:

~Prime Rib Roast with Horseradish Sauce (we harvested the horseradish)
~Oven Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Balsamic Vinegar and Dried Cherries
~Pioneer Woman's Fluffy New Potatoes

I'm not sure on dessert. Truthfully I am so sugared out that nothing sounds good. I was thinking of making this: http://www.cherrymenlove.com/home-baking/cupcakes-small-cakes/2010/11/how-to-make-lamingtons.html

I'm not sure. What do your menus look like girls?

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon

Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5153 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5153 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2013 :  6:32:15 PM  Show Profile
Just like this picture, it makes me smile!

Hugs!
Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2013 :  7:17:42 PM  Show Profile
Sharon - those are some really cute ideas! I love turning a jar lid into both a pretty lid and an ornament! We often use our old cards for tags :)
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2013 :  9:18:42 PM  Show Profile
Heather,
Thank you for sharing the Grinch cookie recipe :)

Shannon,
I really liked that jar lid/ornament idea too :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon

Edited by - Calicogirl on Dec 22 2013 10:59:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2013 :  08:48:23 AM  Show Profile
Connie- I enjoy the pictures you post- they bring back many wonderful memories! Thank you so much for sharing!!

Lori

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2013 :  12:01:08 PM  Show Profile
Christmas Eve menu is always lots of appetizers that we snack on in the afternoon and after we get home from church - wings, meatballs, veggie tree, potato fries, etc.

Our Christmas menu is very traditional:
- Turkey and ham
- Sweet Potato Casserole and Mashed Potatoes
- Baked Corn and Coleslaw (cabbage is in season here, right now)
- Apple pie, pumpkin cheesecake, and pecan pie cheesecake

For New Years, our menu is:
- Beef Tenderloin with Cranberry and Port Reduction
- Twice Baked Potato Casserole
- Not sure what we'll have for a veggie yet -
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5153 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5153 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2013 :  6:52:46 PM  Show Profile
Shannon, everything sounds Yummy!!! Save me a plate! LOL! Merry Christmas everyone! I am having Melissa's family over for Christmas Day dinner. So I gotta a date with the Kitchen for the next 3 days! Big Hug!!

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9374 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9374 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2013 :  04:28:40 AM  Show Profile
Hi all! I haven't had much chance to get on and share in these festivities but I started trying to catch up.

Winnie~ I had stopped in here real quick on this thread when you first started it and I just loved the vintage picture of the little girl with the rolling pin. Well, I happened to go out to lunch with one of my girlfriends, we get together for lunch when we can, which isn't very often anymore. We exchange gifts with one another and one of the things she gave me was a serving tray with that very same picture on it. It has Merry Christmas printed in the corner in vintage looking writing. Didn't notice if your picture did but I just love the tray. I was thinking I had seen it before but couldn't remember where. Now I know. I am going to leave my tray out year round because I love the little girl in it. Reminds me of pictures of my Mom when she was little. Thanks for starting this. I am going to go back and read posts so I can catch up. Merry Christmas to you all!

Denise
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path."
Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Dec 23 2013 04:30:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6615 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6615 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2013 :  05:04:48 AM  Show Profile
Denise, what a wonderful surprise from your friend!! How serendipitous!! This thread has been such tun and an inspiration for new ideas and opportunities to have a"virtual " visits with our Farmgirl friends.

I must say, Farmgirls, the menus and treats that have been posted point to some very wonderful merry making across the U.S.!! Can you imagine being able to get in a car and stopping by everyone's house for a visit? Of course. we might need to borrow Santa's sleigh because some of you are having serious winter snow and ice!! This post has been so much fun and I have enjoyed reading every comment the past month!

Merry Christmas Farmgirls!!

Winnie #3109
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13639 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13639 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2013 :  3:39:16 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Merry Christmas from the 4871 Glamping Farmgirls . . . and our little glamper "Reiver's Rest"
CJ

Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2013 :  8:00:58 PM  Show Profile
Where has the time gone...Christmas Day tomorrow...I have loved reading and sharing on this thread...the pictures and ideas have been wonderful...enjoying the lights tonight...battery operated phasing in and out around my Christmas Village...so beautiful and peaceful...the Christmas tree so beautiful with all the colored lights and beautiful ornaments...quite a few I have gotten from farm girls this year...my beautiful white angel...with iridescent lights phasing in and out...all the presents finally wrapped and placed under the tree...my sweet baby kittens enjoying all the ribbon and paper they have to play with and playing on top of and around the boxes...my lighted nativity representing the true meaning of Christmas...the birth of our precious Lord and Savior Jesus Christ...and sitting in the quiet and peacefulness of it all enjoying being with my DH and family...making and treasuring so many wonderful memories...I thank God for such a beautiful and meaningful season and for all the special friends I have here on the farm...may each of you have a very Merry Christmas...

Hugs!

Judy

THERE IS ALWAYS...ALWAYS...ALWAYS SOMETHING TO BE THANKFUL FOR...

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened...

"Country Girl at Heart...Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

Farm Girl #5440
Farm Girl of The Month September 2013

Edited by - wildflower17 on Dec 24 2013 8:06:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2013 :  07:32:10 AM  Show Profile
Glory to God in the Highest!!!

Merry Christmas Girls!

Winnie, thank you SO MUCH for starting this wonderful thread and thank you everyone for sharing

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Holidays: Previous Topic Farmgirl Holiday Virtual Gathering Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page