Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6611 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6611 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2013 :  07:25:20 AM  Show Profile
" The Holly and the Ivy, Now both are full well-grown,--Of all the trees that are in the wood, The Holly bears the crown."

Welcome Farmgirls to the beginning of the exciting and beautiful Holiday Season! With leftover turkey sandwiches in hand and lists growing of things to make and do, let's share our ideas, tips, recipes, and love like we did this past Fall!

Today starts the busiest four day shopping launch of every year. Black Friday, National Small Business Saturday, and Cyber Monday offer shoppers some of the deepest holiday discounts. If you are like me, I hate the crazy crowds and busy malls and prefer to shop and support my friends and small business entrepreneurs from the comfort of my desk with hot Pumpkin Spice coffee in hand.

The above graphic and the last one come from one of my favorite MJF Farmgirls who also happens to have two extraordinary Etsy shops! Please stop by www.KellieFalconer.com and check out her Etsy clothing shop and her adorable button shop called the WallTentButtonCo! You can get farm girl buttons customized by any state and her latest black board buttons for instant messaging. Is that not perfect for the grandkids?

Then hop on over to Kellie's best friend, Tasha, at her Etsy store Wool& What-not www.etsy.com/shop/woolandwhatnot. She is having this awesome sale and her crocheted items are beautifully done and priced for the holiday season! She also has a set of beautiful hand crocheted snowflakes that make perfect little gifts to tuck in a card.

If folk art is a favorite of yours and you would like some unique holiday cards for sending, stop on over at AudreyEclectic.com and visit her Etsy store. Heather's post cards make the prettiest cards to send because they are reproductions of her original art works. Each card is like a little gift. Just include your greeting on the back and send.

From my desk this morning, I have ordered my holiday sending cards, snowflakes for tuck ins, scarves, hat, and planing to order the lovely wool skirt from Kellie's store as soon as she gets her new office set up.

Next up on the agenda? Preparing my Advent wreath for Sunday which marks the first day of Advent. I love this quiet time of reflection and it helps to hold the reins so that the days don't get so wrapped up in obligations that steel away our peace and good humor. It is easy to get over committed in December as family calendars swell with recitals, potlucks, baking and gift preparations, and everything else that seems to happen in 25 days!

Let's kick off this sharing post with the many ways you have found to keep your holiday preparations simple and manageable so that you have time to embrace what has meaning and purpose for you. Again, here are a few to start the conversation:

1. Shop from small business owners. Many of them have incredible wares that save you time and money in the long run. So, support them and lighten your load. Plus you can also shop online and often get free shipping.

2. Set aside a few minutes each day for quiet and reflection. I am keeping a gratitude journal with a list of 5 things each day to be thankful for. It is helping me keep grounded and reminding me of what is really important. If you have the tradition of an Advent wreath, it is sweet to just light the candles week by week while you sit and have your quiet time. Of course, I love a cup of coffee with my reflection!!

You take the next turn and share what is going to help you launch this holiday season!

Farmgirl Hugs to you as we close out November and move to the mystery and magic of December!!

Winnie #3109

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2013 :  09:00:12 AM  Show Profile
Yay Winnie!!! Thank you for starting this thread, once I am done replying I am subscribing. I love how you ushered us into the Holiday mood :)

Thanks for sharing wonderful links! Kellie does have some beautiful creations :) I will have to check out her friend Tasha's etsy shop too :)

This morning is a productive morning but relaxing too. I just took Turkey stock off the stove and bread is baking, a wash going and I am sipping a cup of Sugar Cookie Sleigh Ride Tea :) Contemplating on having a slice of Honey-Pumpkin Pie to go with :)

I prefer to shop local or at a Farmgirl's shop. This year we are on a very strict budget so I am seeing what I have on hand to make gifts. I never realized what a stash I had of different craft materials :) I have some gifts made with more on the list.

Today I will be taking down the Fall decor and pulling out the Christmas Decorations. I have been listening to Christmas music and want to schedule Christmas movies in our weeks approaching Christmas.

I love having quiet time in the morning too, usually with my Bible and just spending time in prayer. I love to bundle up, with coffee or tea in hand and sit outside reflecting on God's goodness. Of course frost on the ground is a sure way to kick off the Christmas season for me :)

I have been pulling out my Christmas recipes and hope to complete our Christmas menu in the next day or two.

Thank you SO MUCH for getting this started Winnie

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

http://amerryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6611 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6611 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2013 :  10:27:39 AM  Show Profile
Well Sharon, with Sugar Cookie Leigh Ride Tea and Honey-Pumpkin pie, you should be fortified to take on the holiday launch!! What a way to get fueled up for gettin' er' done! Looking forward to seeing what you come across as you research your recipes!!

Winnie #3109
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5152 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5152 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2013 :  12:30:49 PM  Show Profile
This is a beautiful thread Winnie! I love the pictures! Sharon, DH and I are doing the same thing you are today, putting up Fall and running our outdoor Christmas lights. It is 56 and sunny today, but cold air moving back in later this weekend. We have a family about 4 acres away from us that have 7 children ,ranging in age from 4 to 16 and the kids tell us they love to see out Christmas lights. We us the big old fashioned ones that we had since the 1970's and outline our house and some of the split rail fence. Out here in the dark country it is pretty! I will be back often to see all the wonderful Christmas posts! I will also be supporting My Farm sisters Etsy shops as much as possible, along with Friends and Family Etsy shops! Hugs! Thought I would share my Granny's Vintage Santa and Reindeer. It holds special Childhood Memories for me. I remember when I was old enough to carefully place it on the Cotton Quilt Batting, around the trunk of the Christmas tree with the little Cardboard Putz Christms Houses.

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6611 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6611 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2013 :  1:39:14 PM  Show Profile
Connie~ I have 4 celluloid reindeer that belonged to my Grandmother that look just like yours!! Plus I have a few of those old green bottle brush trees and some little houses as well. When I get my set out, I will have to take a photo to share. I bet your home looks great with all of those big Christmas lights everywhere. We used to use them as well on our front porch growing up. I love all these old Christmas decorations passed down from our families!

Winnie #3109
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5152 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5152 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2013 :  4:29:13 PM  Show Profile
Winnie, I would love to see yours! They just don't make Christmas decorations like that anymore, Most from the 1940's and 1950's were made in Japan and vey good Quality, that is why they have lasted so long!!! Yes, Ones that are passed down from family mean so much to me!!!

Connie
Imagine....#3392

Edited by - Killarney on Nov 29 2013 5:39:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2013 :  9:21:36 PM  Show Profile
Oh my, so glad I came to visit tonight. I had a wonderful family Thanksgiving today with my sister and her family from out of town along with my sister that is my neighbor. Our adopted family man came and shared our loved also. He is a retired veteran that lives on the farm with us. Its time to switch gears into Christmas and I am so ready. My out of town sister brought me some of her ornaments and my son is getting married in two weeks so there is lots to be done. I am hoping to get the tree up this next week and have most of the inside decorated by the wedding. I have been watching Christmas movies this year and really celebrating the love of our Maker and the gift of a child named Jesus.

As for gifts...they will be few due to a tight budget. I hope to sew on several quilts and other items from my stash, like Mz Sharon, I have things to make and share that I haven't even begun to find in my sewing room. I am going to do some baking also. I can't wait to check back and see what everyone shares. I am going to shop at the Farmgirl shops and locally. The season is about so much more than "STUFF". Its about the joy of giving and sharing.

May you all be blessed and feel the joy of the season.

Hugs and prayer,
Daizy #1093
www.poorhouseparadise.blogspot.com

Daizy #1093
Poor House Farmgirl Chapter
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2013 :  08:28:12 AM  Show Profile
What a wonderful place to be! My Thanksgiving was very wonderful, yet still a bit strange- still adjusting to my father not being there- but very there in spirit! I work retail, for right now, and had to be to work at 4:30am for my first job and 4:00pm to 11:30pm for my second job. Most shoppers were very kind and happy to be out. Today I have the afternoon to night shift...hoping it is fun like yesterday. Tomorrow I'm off- so I am hoping to finish the tree after church, a friend is having an open house and then I would like to do some Christmas baking. I have some needle punch and stitching left to get done for my daughters for Christmas. Each year I tried to make something that in years to come will remind them of me and bring back happy memories. So, for now it is off to get ready for work, and I will be keeping a list in my pocket of things to get done.

Lori

God has promised strength for the day, rest for the labor, light for the way, grace for the trials, help from above, unfailing sympathy and undying love.

We are here to love each other, serve each other and uplift each other.
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5152 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5152 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2013 :  09:00:16 AM  Show Profile

Hugs!
Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2013 :  1:30:48 PM  Show Profile
It's beginning to look and smell like Christmas in my home. We are baking some yummy cookies and trying to finish trimming ARTIE- the tree!! We have Life 102 on listening to Christmas carols and enjoying the afternoon!!

Lori

God has promised strength for the day, rest for the labor, light for the way, grace for the trials, help from above, unfailing sympathy and undying love.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6611 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6611 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2013 :  04:49:26 AM  Show Profile
Happy Monday Farmgirls! It sounds like some of you were quite busy this weekend getting your holiday decorations out and putting them up. I know I was busy all yesterday afternoon doing the same! We are supposed to have temps close to 80 degrees by Wednesday through next weekend so that will feel weird with all my snow themed decorations! LOL!! That is just the way Florida is most of the time. If you all have time, post a few photos of your decorated spaces so we all can enjoy!

Connie, I have my celluloid reindeer up and I promise to get a photo up soon. My mom and grandma would be so happy that some of their treasures were still coming out and making the home readied for the season.

Winnie #3109
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5152 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5152 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2013 :  3:30:51 PM  Show Profile
Winnie, I can't wait! I am still trying to get my big tree up!
Lori, I took a deep breath and I could smell those cookies!
Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13639 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13639 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2013 :  4:22:19 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Hey there, Farmgirl sisters,
I need help in fanning the flame of my Christmas spirit! Perhaps you'll all inspire me here!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2013 :  7:57:39 PM  Show Profile
Oh CJ- I have been there and happy I have the spirit this year. It's really hard to find a new normal with my dad's passing- this will be the second Christmas without him. My daughters and I are starting a new traditions this year and I am very excited for those. So, this thread has been helping keep the spirit- and the "REAL SPIRIT"
Hang out here awhile and we will keep each other close to each others heart and inspire each other along the way!!

Lori

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6611 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6611 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2013 :  05:14:02 AM  Show Profile
Connie, love that vintage wagon photo!

CJ, we are glad that you stopped by for a bit of fun and possible inspiration. I am not sure if you observe Advent, but it is all about reflection, prayer and preparing our hearts for the mystery of Christmas. Perhaps this year, adding this tradition to your daily routine will give you the most peace. Perhaps this year there is more need for the quiet of Advent in your life. You can go online and see how other traditions celebrate Advent and there are often small books of daily readings you can pick up. Sunday was the first day of Advent and it goes until Christmas Eve, so there is lots of time to just join the millions of others who are observing the same tradition of prayerful waiting. I think that sometimes we find ourselves needing a resetting of our daily compass just a tad bit.With the flurry of the Christmas season, we can easily feel lost and out of synch. Advent is one way to allow ourselves the space to reset the compass and find the peace we all keep reaching for one way or another. I wish you well this Advent on your own spiritual journey! And don't forget to stop by for some fun and ideas that might just fit right in. I am sure the recipes here will soon be shared along with the hot cocoas and other delights!

Winnie #3109
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5152 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5152 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2013 :  06:03:29 AM  Show Profile
Reading my "Daily Bread" is the light in my day! We do the Advent lightening Ceremony at church and we do it at home too. I loved coming to the Virtual Fall Gathering, you could feel the Love!! That is why I joined Mary Jane's Farm, to get to know and share with others the love of sewing, crafting, cooking and just being there if someone needs a prayer partner. Hugs!

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2013 :  12:21:09 PM  Show Profile

Thanks for inviting me to the gathering Connie...love reading all the posts...a very sweet farm girl friend gifted me The Story of Christmas...story book set Advent calendar last week...a mini set of books that can be used as Christmas ornaments...it is the sweetest and most precious gift:-) :-) :-)

Hugs!

Judy

THERE IS ALWAYS...ALWAYS...ALWAYS SOMETHING TO BE THANKFUL FOR...

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened...

"Country Girl at Heart...Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

Farm Girl #5440
Farm Girl of The Month September 2013
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5152 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5152 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2013 :  3:40:36 PM  Show Profile
I m posting a pic for Judy-Wildflower17, Precious Advent Gift!! Judy, it is wonderful!! Hugs!
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13639 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13639 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2013 :  4:35:22 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Winnie . . . and all you other sweet farmgirls,

We rather loosely observe Advent, but our focus has always been and always will be the celebration of our Saviour!!!!
We do enjoy the decorations, fun activities and some of the more "secular" festivities but we DO NOT let it overshadow "Jesus is the Reason for the Season".
This has been a year of many struggles for me and it seems to be carrying over into Christmas. I LOVE CHRISTMAS! So for me to be in the place I am right now is VERY, VERY UNUSUAL and just not me!

I did start some simple decorating yesterday and today, with some uplifting Christmas music playing. I love poinsettia flowers and I'm using several of them with a bit of some other things. It's VERY, VERY SIMPLE and UNDERSTATED! I'm okay with that as long as I can keep my focus on my Saviour!!!
Thanks for your kind words of encouragement! Appreciate your prayers as well!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6611 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6611 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2013 :  05:52:09 AM  Show Profile
And yes CJ , the whole purpose of Advent is to prepare your heart for the coming of Jesus. To keep it simple in December and full of quiet reflection and prayer so that one does not get away from the real meaning of the Christian celebration. It sounds like you are finding ways that have meaning and purpose for you and bringing you the peace. We all completely understand how life's pressures can build and derail us from our center. For you , for me, for all of us, we send our prayers out to all of the farm girls needing a bit of extra support and encouragement!

Winnie #3109
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5152 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5152 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2013 :  07:52:26 AM  Show Profile
CJ, are you Morman? Google advent, to learn more about what it means! It is preparing for the Birth of our Savior, Jesus Christ and how much we need JESUS and for his second coming!! I guess some people prepare by PARTYING and DRINKING and SHOPPING! For my CHRISTIAN FAMILY, all our life, we prepare for CHRISTMAS with ADVENT! Each to his own, but to say it takes the focus off the Birth of JESUS is RIDICULOUS and you can quote me on that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CHRISTMAS can be in YOUR HEART ALL YEAR LONG!

Connie
Imagine....#3392

Edited by - Killarney on Dec 04 2013 08:09:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13639 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13639 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2013 :  08:45:10 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Connie,
Nope, I'm not Mormon. Actually I do know what Advent means and what it is, and have observed it more when my daughter was little. Perhaps I was misunderstood because I didn't mean to say that I believe it takes the focus OFF of Jesus and His birth, not at all!!! Nope, not at all! Didn't mean that at all! Sorry if it did come across that way. I just meant that our focus IS ON HIM totally, just not typically through formally observing Advent. Does that make sense?
CJ

Edited by - ceejay48 on Dec 04 2013 08:46:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2013 :  09:49:50 AM  Show Profile

Connie...thanks for posting the Nativity pictures...the Nativity has always been so special to me...I hope everyone is having a good day:)...it's been a rough few months for me in some ways...so glad God is with us through all of our situations...good and not so good...put my Nativity out today...brings tears to my eyes to think that a sweet little baby could come to mean so much to the world...even more amazing that He would grow up and give His life so that ours would be saved...Thank you Jesus for everything...so happy that we have this precious season to celebrate His birth...

Hugs!

Judy

THERE IS ALWAYS...ALWAYS...ALWAYS SOMETHING TO BE THANKFUL FOR...

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened...

"Country Girl at Heart...Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

Farm Girl #5440
Farm Girl of The Month September 2013
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2013 :  09:58:07 AM  Show Profile
Hello girls!

Wow, I have missed so much, things have been a bit busy here.

Lori, I am praying for the Christmas season to be easier for you and I am praying for healing of your heart.

CJ, what am I going to do with you? :) You know that you are always in my prayers. Maybe you and Bill need to take a little get away to St. Elmos.

Connie, as usual, thanks for sharing the wonderful pics. I love seeing vintage Christmas ornaments.

Well, the day after Thanksgiving I had planned on decorating but didn't get very far. Other things got in the way but I at least got a wreath on the door and the Fall decorations put away :)

Today is the day! And really it couldn't be a better day with it snowing outside :) I played with our pup a little bit and felt like I was in a snow globe :) We have a fire in the woodstove so it is nice and cozy, getting ready to play some Christmas music and get going. I am really wanting to make some Sugar Cookie today too, so we'll see.

Winnie, thank you again for starting this thread :) Hopefully I can share some photos when we are done decorating. And of course some recipes too!

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3099 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3099 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2013 :  10:24:49 AM  Show Profile
Merry Christmas everyone! We usually go get our Christmas tree on my birthday (Nov.30), but my family came down for the weekend. I did a bit of decorating and I've been working on making gifts. It'll feel a lot more like Christmas this weekend when we do go get our tree.

I like to make gifts for Christmas because I feel like they're more meaningful. Sometimes I buy things if my budget allows, but this year it's pretty tight. I would rather get a simple homemade ornament that a big meaningless purchased gift any day.

I like to listen to Christmas music while I'm making my gifts. My husband and I will also spend a couple evenings driving around drinking hot cocoa looking at Christmas lights. It's the simple things that mean the most to me. I also love making cookies with my niece and nephew (since I don't have any kids yet). Last year we had some dinosaurs cookies because my niece had to have them! LOL!

I love all the pictures Connie! I'll post some once I get more decorating done.

I hope you find the Christmas spirit CJ, but it sounds to me like you have the true spirit all the time anyway.

What kind of cookies did you make Lori? I don't have enough room in my freezer to start making any just yet.

I hope some of that snow is on it's way to me Sharon! It feels like spring right now - mid 50's sprinkling on and off. It's supposed to be cold again this weekend though. Maybe it'll snow Saturday when we get our tree!!!

Winnie - I can't even imagine Florida weather at Christmas. It doesn't seem right to be talking about Christmas and 80 degree temps! I guess it's all about what you're used to, huh? Thanks starting this thread.

I better get back to work on my gifts. I think I'll make a cocoa first though :)

Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
http://nndairy.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2013 :  2:16:38 PM  Show Profile
Heather,
Happy Belated Birthday!

It is still snowing here, I would gladly send you some Heather but free wind chill is included :) I am glad that I can pretty much stay indoors today with the exception of feeding the pigs :)

I agree on the handmade gifts. I just love making gifts and receiving them too knowing that love, time and care went into each step.

My pup Cookie and I were outside playing earlier (before the wind picked up). I snapped a couple of pictures:

Here she is with one of her favorite balls, a Jolly Ball for horses :) She loves this ball and will carry it in her mouth and run around the house and all through the yard with it :)

Last one :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Holidays: Previous Topic Farmgirl Holiday Virtual Gathering Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page