Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 **MaryJanesFarm Products & Merchandise
 Bed & Breakfast
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author **MaryJanesFarm Products & Merchandise: Previous Topic Bed & Breakfast Next Topic  

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
635 Posts

Posted - May 10 2005 :  08:06:13 AM  Show Profile
Have any of you fellow farmgirls stayed ath MJF's bed and breakfast? I'm thinking about going there after my boyfriend and I get married. It would be quite a trip because we live in Louisville, KY. We both are from the country and long to return to it though (and we will once the kiddos start coming!) I was just curious if any of you had been there. We probably won't get to go until next year because I doubt we'll be married by the time it closes for the season.

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 10 2005 :  09:07:40 AM  Show Profile
I would love to stay there someday too...I hope someone HAS stayed there and can tell us all about the experience! What a wonderful trip that will be for a couple of newlyweds.....lucky you!!

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - May 10 2005 :  10:07:11 AM  Show Profile
Rodney and i will be staying there on the 4th of June so I will let you know after.
eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
635 Posts

Posted - May 11 2005 :  09:08:45 AM  Show Profile
Ohh yes please share after you've gone! Are you staying in the tent or the hut? The photos are simply beautiful and I bet the view will be unforgettable!

Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - May 11 2005 :  3:26:09 PM  Show Profile
I want to go sooooo bad! It looks like so much fun.

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - May 12 2005 :  08:55:48 AM  Show Profile
We have opted to stay in a hut although it would be my first choice to stay in a hut. we are on a fairly tight budget so the hut won the contest., We sleep in a yurt here year round so sleeping in a tent would be more like home but i am certain that the huts will be wonderful too. I am betting that it will be a lot more quiet there at night than it is here at night as we are quite close to two major roadways where the motorcycle clubs come for weekend entertainment.
I am looking forward to the fun of this trip.
Eileen

Go to Top of Page

JanaM
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Jana
Miller Bay/Indianola WA
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2005 :  09:31:32 AM  Show Profile
Hi -

I've got a reservation for a wall tent at MJF in early July (I'll be there for the farm fair as well) and am soooooooooo looking forward to it. I'm originally from the Palouse, where her farm is located, and am looking forward to the visit to relax, read, write, experience and pitch in on the farm and hopefully meet some of the people introduced in her magazine. I'm also really looking forward to the sights sounds, and smells of the Palouse. It's a beautiful area and I'm so excited for my visit. Rachel Leigh, you won't be disappointed if you visit the farm after you get married. It will be well worth the visit. I'd recommend late July, early August for the best weather.
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2005 :  09:52:15 AM  Show Profile
Rodney and I just returned from a trip to the polouse where we attended Rodneys all city all school reunion in Rosalia. We spent Saturday night at the Farm in a wall tent. We used mapquest to get directions and it has one little glitch that sent us up her neighbors driveway so had to get the correct ones from the nice neighbor. I guess this has happened before.
That country is home to both of us and we felt like we were just driving into our home when we arived. It is very secluded and at the end of a winding country road so no traffic at all!! The way the mountains just wrap around you in these wonderful undulating swales creates for a very serene and peaceful kind of quiet. All you hear out there is nature! Not much in the way of power lines to see either so all in all it is one of the most peaceful places we have ever stayed. We were greated by Dori when we arrived and given a very warm welcome and farm tour. The weather when we arrived was warm and breezy with little wispy clouds dotting the sky but the forcast was for bad weather which did come in the middle of the night. All of the farm hands were at a dinner in Moscow so we did not get to meet them as we arrived quite late from the reunion so Dori was the only one there. In the morning it was 40 degrees and raining cats and dogs along with some really cold wind but the wall tent was snug and warm because it was well stocked with fire wood, fire starter and paper for the wonderful little wood stove oven that she has shown in the book. It really is easy to get going and fast to warm things up. It also has a hot water tank on the side so there was hot water for a sponge bath in the morning from the bowl and pitcher and hand made soap provided. We could have used the shower in the pump house but the sponge bath in the warm tent was really very nice. Big fluffy towels and ash cloths were provided too. There were vases of Iris everywhere from the lovely iris garden and paths coming up the drive. Phlox grows wild everywhere over there so there was plenty of that in the boquets too. The breakfast was very good brought to the tent by Dori on a huge tray. Lots of food! We were going to get to have breakfast in the plum pit if the weather had been as nice as the day before but inside the warm wall tent was nice too. Very private. We got to try out the new jet boil while we were there and bought one on the spot for our drive home. Very fast hot water on the road for tea or coffee, no more cowboy coffee or rest stop coffee to keep us awake.
We got to meet nick in the morning and see the production room. It smells like heaven in there. If you get a chance to go I highly recommend it. So many ideas for me to incorporate here.
Everyone is so nice and so willing to be helpful. We really enjoyed our stay. It helped my husband see what I have been trying to describe to him for ways to keep the deer out of the garden and still look open and deer friendly. Also love the way she has made the walls of the huts and kitchen a place for vines to grow all over. In a couple of years they will be completely covered and you will not know that the buildings are sheet metal. It is soo pretty.
Eileen

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2005 :  11:17:55 AM  Show Profile
Eileen it sounds heavenly! Did you take pics? If you did could you share them with us please?? Thanks!!

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2005 :  1:24:46 PM  Show Profile
Eileen - What a wonderful trip you had! And your exlanations and descriptions are great. As you think of more tidbits to share, write more. Like, can you see the farmhouse from the walled tents? Did you see the schoolhouse or the mill? Why did the production smell so good? Because of the herbs and spices?

jpbluesky

Heaven gives its glimpses only to those
Not in position to look too close.
from "A Passing Glimpse" by Robert Frost
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2005 :  4:15:48 PM  Show Profile
Eileen, I did not mean to come across sounding like I need pics to visualize your vacation...Your writing is beautiful and very descriptive and I always look forward to reading what you have to say about your observations...

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2005 :  7:53:49 PM  Show Profile
Yeah, but we still want pics!
jpbluesky

Edited by - jpbluesky on Jun 08 2005 7:56:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2005 :  09:29:26 AM  Show Profile
Well Ladies I did not get very many photos as it was rather late when we arrived so the light for photography was not right and in the morning it was raining and very cold and windy so did not get very good pictures but I have loaded up the ones you can see and you can look at them here;

You can view the album at:
http://www.hpphoto.com/servlet/com.hp.HPGuestLogin?username=eileenspics&password=29867235

I am sorry they are so dark. We had to keep the flaps of the wonderful wall tent closed to keep out the wind and rain so the only light is from the gas lanterns and my flash. The photos in her book are really better.
The other photos in the album are from the start up of the Rosalia battle days parade that was really nice and was very fun. They have a Stomp Band. It was so cute I just had to show you.
The wall tents are all secluded from the view of the farm house and each other. The area where they are located really is an ancient Italian Plum orchard. It makes a really nice canopy over the firepit and picnic table area as well as a natural visual barrier to the other tents and buildings on the farm. The lay of the land is also a visual break as it all undulates in swales. Nothing is flat so everything is around a little bend or up over a little hill. Every trail ends in a surprise around each corner. You cannot see the huts from the tents either. The test kitchen is wonderful and the library is also wonderful. Mary Jane has an extensive collection of great books. I have some of them but most I have only checked out at the library. A great resource for everything needed to sustain life and become profitable.
The school house and the mill are a ways away from the farm and we did not go to see them with the weather being what it was and there being nobody to take us there. We did not have as much time as we would have liked to have. We spent to much time at the reunion. We should have booked a day later to give the reunion festivities more time and ourselves more time to enjoy the farm. The Mill was vandalised a while back and is still not quite fixed up. It has been cleaned up but some things still need attention so we were not encouraged to go there. The vandals were caught however and are facing some stiff penaltys. I hope some of their penalty involves repairing the damage that they have done with their own money and hard work. They tried to get into the safe that was empty with a pick ax and really damaged it as well as they set fire to several places inside, fortunately the fire did not take. Did some nasty damage though.
The production room smelled so good because of all the herbs and spices. Made me hungry just being in there. Like the smell in a fine restaraunt.
The lane leading up the the farm is lined with blooming iris right now and was really a pretty sight.
Eileen

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2005 :  09:37:52 AM  Show Profile
Thank You, Thank You, Eileen!!! This whets my appetite further to visit there in the future! The sewing machine in the tent...Was that MJ's beloved Singer treadle? How fun to have a stomp band! What a beautiful iron bed too! And the linens looked so pretty!

Go to Top of Page

Nicol
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Nicol

200 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2005 :  09:42:27 AM  Show Profile
Eileen, Thank you for sharing your photos and trip memories with all of us. It sounds like you had a really nice time. The stomp band looked like fun!
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2005 :  09:59:58 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for sharing, Eileen! They stomp band does look like fun too!

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2005 :  10:27:27 AM  Show Profile
Eileen - thank you for sharing! What fun it must have been, and the weather being the way it was probably added to the uniqueness of your stay at MJF's. Oh how I wish I were closer to it! Thank you for the pics. By the way, I use my grandmother's treadle at the side of my guest room bed, too!

jpbluesky

Heartland girl
Go to Top of Page

100 Aker Woods
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

2 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2005 :  11:21:05 PM  Show Profile
Eileen, it was like reading a chapter out of a good book, when you were describing your wonderful adventures to the farm. Thank you for sharing. I can't wait to go in the spring and experience the adventure myself.
Go to Top of Page
  **MaryJanesFarm Products & Merchandise: Previous Topic Bed & Breakfast Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page