Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5079 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5079 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2013 :  7:29:46 PM  Show Profile

Mine would have to be the Family Thanksgivings at my Grandparents Home in Friendship, Tennessee. There would always be at least 50 Family members, ages newborn to 90! My Grandparents passed away in 2005. Everyone's kids are grown up and scattered all over the U.S. I Miss all the Love, The laughter, and the Mountains of Food!LOL!

Connie
Imagine....#3392

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2013 :  7:46:48 PM  Show Profile
My favorite (so far) has got to be my mom & pop in law and us sitting around our tiny rround cottage dinner table, missing those that have gone before and no longer sit amongst us...all of us thinking of those that we love that have passed on and mama in law starting to sing Will the Circle be Unbroken and all of us holding hands and singing together before dinner...was a sad but beautiful moment.

You must do the thing you think you cannot do
-Eleanor Roosevelt

She with the most chickens wins

Annika
Farmgirl & Sister #13

http://thegimpyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2013 :  03:49:34 AM  Show Profile
My inlaws loved entertaining family and friends. They lived in twon and it was so fun to get together withmall the relatives. We would easily have 30 or more. They had a large house and yard. If it was nice there wojld be tables set up on the back patio as well as in the house. There were lots of little cousins and babies to play with. The street would be lined up on both sides and many times we had neighbors or friends eating with the family. After the dishes were done the women would go for a walk around town. We also played games with the kids. And the candy and cookies my MIL made for the occassion was unreal. Those are memories I will never forget. Yesterday was her birthday. We lost both of my inlaws in 1995 in a car wreck along with our SIL. Changed the dynamics of our family drastically. Noone will ever be able to replace the hospitality of my MIL. Thanks Maxine for being such a wonderful family role model. You were the champion hot cookie grandma.
Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2013 :  04:24:11 AM  Show Profile
Always being together, the smell of turkey cooking, trying to sneak a little bit of stuffing while the turkey was being pulled out for "basting" ... ahhhhh, the smell of a cooking turkey STILL takes me back to the Macy's Parade ... And, everyone in the dining room sitting at a huge table, that was always so pretty with the "good china" table cloth and a huge turkey right in the middle of all of it. And eating so much that almost in unison the the buttons of everyones pants would be undone! LOL ...
Also knowing that the next day was the kick off to decorating for Christmas ... It was ALWAYS a great time!

Teri
"There are black sheep in every flock"

www.whitesheepfarm.com
https://www.etsy.com/shop/whitesheepprimitive
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5079 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5079 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2013 :  11:52:41 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for taking time to share Teri, Kem and Annika! I love reading your memories!

Connie
Imagine....#3392

Edited by - Killarney on Nov 09 2013 11:53:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2013 :  06:08:12 AM  Show Profile
As a child, my family and I would spend the entire Thanksgiving holiday at my dad's parents in a little town in Maine called whiting. My grandparents after my grandfather retired built a house on the orange river. There is yellow birch mountain across the river behind the house. My dad and his brothers and sisters in laws along with us would land thereof Wednesday night after everyone got out of school and work. The men, and my cousins and I when we got old enough, would go deer hunting as here in Maine that's the last weekend for it. Sometimes my mom and grandmother would go. My grandmother would cook and aunts and mom would help

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2013 :  06:18:04 AM  Show Profile
And were required to bring dishes and other food staples to help with the weekend gathering. Me and my sister would help ad well. My grandparents house house slept at least twelve. It was fun playing pool with my. Cousins, and flinch (a card game) and when we got old enough to play hi low Jack aka pitch with the adults. I loved listening to the adults tell their stories, my grandfather and dad. And uncle's (planning the next days hunt.the last Thanksgiving my grandmother had brought about 42 people aunts uncles, cousins, step cousins, boyfriends, girlfriends great grand kids. I can no where top those days. It was wonderful despite the chaos it sometimes created. I miss it and it can never be replication even though it was tried.

Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5079 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5079 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2013 :  2:28:01 PM  Show Profile
Lorena, Such Warm, Fun! Family Memories! and Maine is such a beautiful state! I have always wanted to visit there someday!

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2013 :  05:53:04 AM  Show Profile
My favorite Thanksgiving memory is the year we worked all orning to make a huge Thanksgiving Day meal and then loaded it up and took it to a homeless shelter. We ate with the residents and had a wonderful time getting to know them.

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #1682

Thirty-One Independent Consultant

www.mythirtyone.com/sherone

My Blog

www.annapearlsattic.blogspot.com

My Etsy

www.etsy.com/shop/annapearlsattic

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2013 :  1:03:02 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Connie. My grandfather has been gone 10 years and my grandmother. 8. I've never truly enjoyed Thanksgiving the way I did as a child. Wish I could relive the memories.

Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2013 :  3:58:41 PM  Show Profile
family Thanksgiving was a HUGE affair, my Mamma's side of the family was her parents, all of her siblings (14 in total), their spouses and children, and as time went on grandchildren as well, so there was up words of 100, we had the meal at my grandparents/parents farm, and we were spred out everywhere to eat, 4 or 5 turkeys, 3 or 4 hams, plus standing rib roasts along with all of the fixings, on top of every kinda pie and cookies you could emagine , missed those dinners sooo much after I got married and moved to California, but...my first Thanksgiving that I made at our home, my hubby surpised me with my parents showing up that morning, cryed and huged so much, and then for my Momma and Daddy both tell me that my first turkey dinner was the best they had ever eaten, that memory will never be gone, that was 39 yrs ago...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5079 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5079 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2013 :  4:28:47 PM  Show Profile
Lorena, I so understand how you feel, Sherone what a wonderful way of Blessing others!

Tina! I love your story and your surprise!! I would have loved to have seen thee look on your face!

Thanks for taking time to share! I can see many girls have read this forum, and I am sure they smiled too!

Connie
Imagine....#3392

Edited by - Killarney on Nov 11 2013 4:29:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5079 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5079 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2013 :  4:30:24 PM  Show Profile

I love this!!

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5079 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5079 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2013 :  08:28:26 AM  Show Profile

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2013 :  08:33:18 AM  Show Profile

Love all the stories and pictures...Connie do you have these pumpkins...I have a huge one on my coffee table that is the size of an real pumpkin...it says "Harvest Blessings" on it...sunflowers and leaves painted on it...I still have not figured out how to upload my pictures...so technically challenged...:(:(:(

Hugs!

Judy

THERE IS ALWAYS...ALWAYS...ALWAYS SOMETHING TO BE THANKFUL FOR...

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened...

"Country Girl at Heart...Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

Farm Girl #5440
Farm Girl of The Month September 2013
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2013 :  08:37:23 AM  Show Profile
My favorite memories are a bit different, I guess...

I am an only child, and my father worked most of the time away from on with the horse racing industry. Thanksgiving was the beginning of the Winter meet here at Latonia Racecourse, in our hometown, so Thanksgiving was a bit of a homecoming celebration for Daddy.

He didn't eat Turkey. Or poultry of any kind. And, since it was just the three of us, we would get all dressed up and go to Walt's Hitching Post. Mr. Melton, a fellow horseman, owned the restaurant and bar and they served the best steaks and ribs in the area. Hot slaw, honey rolls, baked potatoes as big as your head. We were always welcomed with open arms, given a lovely table by the fireplace and top notch service.

This was the "the place to be" when I was a small girl and I remember all the ladies in the bar area, dressed to the nines, their earrings tinkling like the ice in their cocktail glasses. The laughter and warmth filled every nook and corner of that restaurant. I remember that having my father home was the only thing I ever wanted--truly something to be thankful for.

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2013 :  08:59:46 AM  Show Profile

I am not sure if I have one favorite memory of Thanksgiving...I always loved being with my family...I can still smell the huge 22 pound turkey that my mom and granny made...you see I was blessed to have my granny live with us for about 18 years of my young life...there was homemade everything...banana pudding...German chocolate cake with homemade coconut pecan frosting...molasses stack cake with cooked apples that had been dried and brought out to use for special occasions...and my favorite...homemade dressing which had day old cornbread...leftover biscuits...toast and crackers in it...the smell of celery sautéing...salt...pepper and fresh sage......add the boiling turkey broth and celery to the bread crumbs...oooooohhhhhhhh girls:):):)and homemade dumplings...homemade mashed potatoes...peas oh how I love peas to this day...and rolls and gravy...we were set...it was always a family affair with everyone helping out...my dad always helped clean the turkey to get it ready for baking the next morning...he would get up about 5:00a.m. and put it in the oven...when it was done he and I would eat some of the meat off the turkey neck and some of the liver...we always put bits and pieces of the turkey into the homemade dressing...the smell from the kitchen was divine...there was always 6 of us and sometimes company would drop by...I think these are precious memories that my brother...sister and I will always treasure...for the past few years I have cooked and opened up my home to a few people who have no where else to go for Thanksgiving Dinner...my family and I always enjoy it...this is such a wonderful topic...and one last memory...some years ago for a few years in a row...the ladies in our church would cook a huge Thanksgiving Dinner and the men would deliver it out into the community...I think one year we deliverd almost 200 dinners plus what others came to church and ate...these memories are such blessings to look back on...

Hugs!

Judy

THERE IS ALWAYS...ALWAYS...ALWAYS SOMETHING TO BE THANKFUL FOR...

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened...

"Country Girl at Heart...Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

Farm Girl #5440
Farm Girl of The Month September 2013
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5079 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5079 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2013 :  09:26:48 AM  Show Profile
Jonni, What a interesting and fun memory!! The real meaning of Thanksgiving came shinning through! Your Dad was HOME!!!

Judy, I could smell and taste all the wonderful food as you described it! Thanks for taking time to share!!P.S. Not my Pumpkins, I had those, but like a lot of my stuff, My Holly coms over and goes crazy for something, and I say, "Take it home with you!"

Hugs!!
Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5079 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5079 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2013 :  09:18:59 AM  Show Profile

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

Chatty Wren
True Blue Farmgirl

65 Posts

Diane
Phillipsburg NJ
USA
65 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2013 :  2:33:25 PM  Show Profile
Feeling blessed and greatful this Thanksgiving and wishing the same for all farmgirl sisters!

Blessings~Diane
http://abbyhannahvintage.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2013 :  5:01:39 PM  Show Profile
I love these vintage Thanksgiving posters! They are just the cutest ever. It is hard to believe that we are just a week and a half away from Thanksgiving too. There are several Christmas tree lots getting ready for trees to arrive by next weekend. It was in the 80s this weekend and surely does not even feel remotely like tree decorating time! The weather predicts cooler weather by Tuesday. PLEEZE!!!

Winnie #3109
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5079 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5079 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2013 :  6:02:03 PM  Show Profile
Diane , I love that!!

Winnie, It was 80 here today too!

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

QuiltyMom
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Jan
Falls Church VA
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2013 :  04:29:07 AM  Show Profile
Mine is when we'd go around the Thanksgiving table just before Dad said grace and we ate until we were stuffed, saying what we were most thankful for.

Edited by - QuiltyMom on Nov 18 2013 04:29:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5079 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5079 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2013 :  4:42:01 PM  Show Profile
Jan, I love that!!

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13620 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13620 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2013 :  6:33:02 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Nothing really special comes to mind. I just remember it being a really wonderful family time on the farm as I was growing up!
Lately it's been more of a time to take a rest, relax, rejuvenate break from work routines.
Last year we had a wonderful "Thanksgiving al Fresco" at my daughter's in the Phoenix area . . . it was great!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5079 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5079 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2013 :  06:26:36 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for sharing CJ, I think it is wonderful that you grew up on a Farm! I always wanted to own one! Glad you get to have restful ones!

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Holidays: Previous Topic Your Favorite Thanksgiving Memory! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page