Printer Friendly
Author Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic need new computer advice Next Topic  

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2013 :  03:46:59 AM  Show Profile
My laptop died and trying to get by on my tablet. This is not working well. I have been hesitant to buy a new one because they say windows 8 is so challanging and different. Would you share what you use? I really need something more versitle than this tablet. It is too small and hard to type on. Also where is the best buy with follow up service?

CindyG
True Blue Farmgirl

293 Posts

Cindy
Fairfax VA
USA
293 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2013 :  07:13:03 AM  Show Profile
My advice is NOT thrifty advice, but I put an extremely high value on my time plus I was quite short-changed in the "patience" department. All that being said, I am part of a happy all-Mac household that switched from PC/WIndows about 10 years ago. MacbookPro computers, iPhones, iPads - everything.

No viruses, no trojan horses, no "blue screen of death", virtually no down time or wanting to throw it out the window, as I often felt with my PC. When I have the very rare problem, I call Apple and speak to someone who is on this continent, so I don't get that weirdo three-second delay in the conversation as the call travels through who knows what to get to the call center in some far away land. If something needs fixed in person, I take it to a Mac store rather than ship it off to a central repair depot. The convenience of that last one completely depends on how close you are to a Mac store, of course.

I may be tempting fate by saying this, but I have not had a single major computer problem since I switched to Mac, and it is a beautiful thing. The transition took maybe a month or so until I was pretty comfortable, but you can even call the 800 number with questions about your transition from PC.

The problem with this advice is there are no bargains to be had at the Mac store unless you get a reconditioned machine, and even that is expensive. I have several friends who have purchased a reconditioned machine with a warranty and are perfectly happy with them. The customer service is outstanding.

It might be worth a look on their website just to see what is available.
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3951 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3951 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2013 :  07:28:23 AM  Show Profile
Windows 8 is difficult to get used to at first. The homepage is set up with tiles like an iPhone and meant to be used with a touch screen. You can add and subtract applications and display them here. However, you can always just go to the good old familiar home page with your favorite icons and a picture of the sea, flowers or the kids as wallpaper and you can get along just fine.

The applications are handy, sometimes. I use the photo one a lot and can get into my financial stuff quickly but the screen set ups are a little different.

I would be able to give you technical support over the phone when you need it depending on what else I am doing. It's certainly cheaper than Geek Squad although they are really good at explaining the operating system and it's twists and turns. For this reason, it is worth buying an account so you can call them anytime for help.

As I said, I would be willing to do some phone tech support for you if you get this operating system. Email me when you do and we can set up a time, etc.

I have a lot of experience explaining tech stuff to my husband who always asks "Why" - do we need a password?, does this stupid question come up?, can't we just stay logged in?, is the video not playing? -- You get the idea.

Marie, Sister #5142

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2013 :  02:35:04 AM  Show Profile
Marie, I am going to take you up on this. I have purchased my computer yet, but has to be soon. This tablet is driving me crazy. Fine to,surf, but hate typing on it.
Go to Top of Page

naturemaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

2569 Posts

Connie - Farmgirl #673
Hoosick Falls NY
USA
2569 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2014 :  03:31:12 AM  Show Profile
Kem this is a late reply, but i just bought a new desktop computer with windows 8 just 2 mos ago. i hated the idea at first because i was using xp for 9 yrs, but windows 8 wasnt as bad as i thought it would be. i hardly use the startup screen. there is a 'desktop' icon that you click on and it takes you right to the screen you are use to seeing. it works fine without a touch screen (which i dont have, or want). hope this helps.

http://www.naturemaiden.com/ Handcrafted Soap & Candles
http://saratoga-rose.blogspot.com/ My published books & other writing.
http://modern-day-laura.blogspot.com/ Filled with everything I love!
http://www.thriftyfarmgirl.com/ Vintage Sewing Machine Parts
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2014 :  4:31:43 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Connie for the info. I ended up buying an used windows 7 from a gal I knew and it has worked great. Don't know what I would do without the entertainment of my computer.
Go to Top of Page
  Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic need new computer advice Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page