KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2006 :  04:35:57 AM  Show Profile
I don't know about you but when we leave daylights savings, I tend to want to hibernate.
I'm tired and want to go to bed about 6:30-7:00.
It's nice to have morning light again, but, that fades fast too.
It really makes it hard to do things in the evening, I don't feel like going for a walk or bike ride in the dark.
I should try to extend my lunch break to get an hour lunch and go for a walk or something, if the powers that be will allow it.
I did buy Full Spectrum Bulbs for my area in the office, they do seem to help some.
What are some of the things one can do to help with the hibernate feeling?
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2006 :  04:55:02 AM  Show Profile
I've read that we should get out in the daylight as much as possible during the cold & dark months. If we go to the market we should park further away & walk to get the sunlight. Things like that. The bulbs are good. If you like snow (I love it) you should get out and play in it they say. Its the cold, gray, leafless barren surroundings that get to us so thats when we need to find the beauty in it. Even 10 to 15 minutes of sunlight helps.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2006 :  07:47:42 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Karen-

In the winter time I make sure that my lamps and such have the highest wattage bulb possible. I also tend to buy more candles and try to decorate my house for the holidays. If I can make my house be warm, bright, and colorful it seems to help keep the blues away. I also try to clean house a bit more as just the smallest amount of clutter seems to bring me down during winter hours.

The bedroom I am sleeping in right now doesn't have a curtain and it is an east facing window. I think this helps too because I get as much of the sun as I can even before I wake up!
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2006 :  04:13:29 AM  Show Profile
Good ideas! Alee, I totally agree with you -- clutter just puts me on edge in the winter months. Every so often during the week, I follow Flylady's idea of finding 'X' number of items to 'fling' -- that is to throw away or to donate somewhere -- to declutter the surfaces or closets. It really helps.

Also, I just bought a potted orchid (at Home Depot!) to brighten up my indoor world. And my holiday cactus are all in big bud and beginning to bloom (I guess they are not Christmas cactus -- rather Halloween or Thanksgiving). I miss my garden terribly in the winter and always have fresh flowers or living plants to cheer me up.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2006 :  05:45:46 AM  Show Profile
Fortunatly my Richie and I teach together so we get home at about 3:45 everyday so we go take a LONG walk in the woods with our 4 dogs. It really helps to make you feel better and helps to keep off those winter pounds!!!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2006 :  09:24:14 AM  Show Profile
julie, that sounds like such a lovely thing to do everyday w/ your other half. It's a good time to get home & still enjoy part of the day.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2006 :  09:56:40 AM  Show Profile
I don't like Daylight Savings personally......but I grew up in AZ where they don't have it.

But I too try to lighten things up with candles, little white lights, lights on more, etc. Living in S. CA it's not as bad as when we were in Germany but I am still ready for bed when it's dark out -- by 4:30 at Christmas.

Need to get out more as well........plus we have this awful dark brown carpet throughout the house which doesnt help! Gotta love Army housing.......

Blessings to you all

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!

Edited by - ArmyWifey on Oct 30 2006 10:00:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2006 :  09:30:19 AM  Show Profile
I'm definitely more of a morning person, so having it be extra bright in the morning doesn't bug me at all. And I don't mind it getting darker early, since I go to bed pretty early.
When I was little, I always loved being outside around 4:30, when it was just getting dusky and the snow was all shimmery, so this is one of my favorite times of year!

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Daylight Savings Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page