summerbreeze
True Blue Farmgirl

277 Posts

Laura
WA
USA
277 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  9:43:28 PM  Show Profile
Just reading an article of how unprepared my city is for an emergency. I keep can food and water on hand. I think I need to make up some prepardness packs for our cars. Any good suggestions on what I should include for home or car?
Laura

You only live once,if you do it right once is enough.

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  10:19:09 PM  Show Profile
We have 72 hour kits made up for each member of the family. In the adult's packs we put things like matches, a knife, a pan to cook on and a few things like that. We need to update them since it has been about a year since we checked them last. I put in enough food (MREs and other easy stuff as well as instant oatmeal packets and jerky, bottled water too) for 72 hours and a change of clothes 2 pair of socks. Each member of the family has a 5 gallon sealed bucket with their kit right now..but I want to put them in backpacks. The buckets just seal and stack so well, would be easy to grab (handle ) and make a seat if you need to sit down. We keep them in the storage room off the kitchen where they would be easy to grab to go in the car. I keep an emergency kit in the car too (in a rubbermaid tub) with some food, water and a first aid kit, blankets and some extra clothes, as well as simple tools and stuff.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2006 :  05:17:54 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I like to have an emergency pack in my car- especially when travelling. Growing up in Wyoming you were just asking for trouble if you didn't have one in especially in Winter time.

In my car I make sure I have a metal can (coffee is best but soup can can work too) and some rocks to weigh it down so I can put emergency candles in. I also make sure I have no cook- non perishable food available like granola bars and hard candy. I always carry a space blanket or two but in winter I always make sure to throw in a good quilt and pillow also. If you are going to be driving through snowy areas I like to have a collapsable shovel and a few decent sized bits of spare rag too.

I drove a chevy astro van one winter and got it stuck in the snow on a mountain here in Idaho. It was rear wheel drive and I had gotten the rear tires stuck in a snow bank. I didn't have a shovel and it was pitch black out. I tried rocking the car back and forth to get out but she was good and stuck. So as a last ditch effort I stuck and old towel under the one back tire that was most stuck. Sure enough- It gave me enough traction to get out and back on the road! I never did see that towel again though! lol
Go to Top of Page

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2006 :  09:47:45 AM  Show Profile
We keep our emergency kit packaged into two backpacks (one for me, one for my husband), so it's portable on a moment's notice if necessary (well, everything is portable except the large water jugs) and we each have one in case we get or have to be seperated.

Emergency Preparedness Kit (Items split between 2 backpacks)
-- 5 packages vacuum-sealed tuna
-- 5 packages vacuum-sealed chicken
-- 3 cans Vienna sausage
-- 5 cans potatoes
-- 5 cans green beans
-- 5 cans corn
-- 2 cans baked beans
-- 5 cans fruit cocktail
-- 5 cans soup
-- 3 packages dried gravy mix
-- 1 box crackers
-- 1 can oatmeal
-- 1 tube peanut butter
-- 1 small box tea
-- 1 small box coffee
-- 1 small box sugar cubes or packets
-- 5 envelopes powdered lemon Gatorade
-- 3 packages Lipton red beans and rice
-- 2 packages Lipton chicken noodles
-- 2 packages Lipton beef noodles
-- 20 gallons water (4 5-gallon jugs)

-- 4 large Sterno canisters
-- 5 emergency candles
-- mess kit w/ silverware and cup
-- water-proof matches
-- water purifier tablets
-- spare contacts, case, solution
-- multi-function tool
-- small flashlight (with new batteries stored outside of it so they maintain their charge)
-- travel size toiletries (shampoo, conditioner, soap, toothpaste, toothbrush, hair brush, toilet paper, deodorant, tampons, hand sanitizer)
-- 1 roll duct tape
-- 5 garbage bags
--document photocopies (birth certificate, driver’s license, bank info, credit cards, apartment lease, marriage license, health info)
-- $50 cash ($30 in small bills/$20 in quarters)
-- change of clothes (tank top or t-shirt, sweater, socks, underwear, pants)
-- small blanket
-- Red Cross first aid kit

It seems like a lot of items, but it all fits into two backpacks. The cans make it quite heavy, so you could always switch out those items for something freeze-dried or prepared if you're concerned about ever having to carry it for long distances.

http://apartmentfarm.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2006 :  2:52:05 PM  Show Profile
Gosh I am feeling really unprepared, reading your posts!

But we live in a suburb of a small city so it is hard to imagine a large-scale disaster occuring here. It is hard to imagine a flood affecting us, as we live above the dam, and are near a high point of the state. Hurricanes don't come through here, although tornados do, but tornados typically affect a narrow swath of houses, not everyone in the community, so we would have neighbors (friends and family too) who would take us in! We don't usually have forest fires here - it has been raining so much that the trees are more likely to topple than burn.

Here is what we DO do. My husband and I both keep first aid kits in our cars, along with road safety kits (jumper cables, flashlights, flares, etc.) We both have cell phones. I have my amateur radio license and often carry a 2-meter radio with me, especially if the weather is threatening. I also have a wind-up AM/FM/Weather radio (winding it for a minute charges the battery and lets it run for 1/2 hour or so) I keep my freezer filled and keep flour, sugar, and canned goods in stock in the pantry, so that if we can't get the 3 miles into town because of a blizzard we won't starve. I keep a few gallons of distilled water available (I also use them for ironing.) Our power does go out fairly often and so we have a generator in the garage and keep filled gas cans there. I keep a store of candles with matches nearby. We have a wood burning insert in the fireplace and we have enough wood cut and stored to keep us warm for years.

So I guess what I am saying a key component of being prepared for a disaster is assessing what kind of disaster is most likely to befall you!

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow

Edited by - brightmeadow on Oct 29 2006 2:59:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2006 :  3:04:59 PM  Show Profile
Wow Amanda what a great list! I've printed your post so I can start my own backpacks! Thanks for sharing!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2006 :  3:35:08 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by willowtreecreek

Wow Amanda what a great list! I've printed your post so I can start my own backpacks! Thanks for sharing!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com

Me too!

We are prepared somewhat in our pantry, but as for individual backpacks for use each, we have none, what a good idea! That will be on my short and necessary list of resolution type things for the New Year, I think. Plus an extra bag of baby stuff for the next little one, even though s/he isn't on the radar yet, it will happen again soon enough. What a great list!
You know, in the Backwoods Home emergency preparedness book they have a section on stocking a pantry for $10 per week. That is another thing I am going to start doing aside from what I already do. I buy a lot of dry goods online in bulk, but they are also things we use daily/weekly. Granted I have extra set aside for emergency purpose, but I think the list in the book is a good one to follow as it has basics to provide for all your daily needs.
The way the world is anymore, one can never know when something tragic and world changing is going to hit.

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
blog: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2006 :  10:10:40 AM  Show Profile
We have Step Out bags in the garage. We started keeping them when we lived in WA and have just kept up with them. We have a change of clothes, a jacket, pajamas, an MRE (enough calories for two days when you're not in war time), a first aide kit, lists of credit card info etc. I went off a list from the FEMA site as well as the Army's NEO Packet list.

Blessings

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2006 :  10:32:45 AM  Show Profile
I noticed at Walmart (gulp...yes I was there on Saturday) that they are selling a sort of MRE's called E packs or Emeals or something like that...$5 each I think..if someone is looking for some.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2006 :  1:20:05 PM  Show Profile
Amanda - what a great list! I've just joined the ranks of those who have printed it to use for themselves - thank you!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2006 :  6:13:01 PM  Show Profile
Interesting article in the new Progressive Farmer about tornado shelters. Refers to booklet # 320 from FEMA - 'Taking shelter from the storm" available from the FEMA web site.

The article says you can construct or install a tornado shelter for $2,000 - $10,000. I've always lived in a house with a basement, so haven't considered this option before. Now I am wondering if the tornado shelter could be combined with a root cellar.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

summerbreeze
True Blue Farmgirl

277 Posts

Laura
WA
USA
277 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2006 :  09:08:10 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the great ideas. My city was just given a D for emergency prepardness. This was the third time. The only reason the article said we didn;t fail is because they have never failed a city of our size.
We have a crumbling sea wall and they keep tying that fact to a major road. If our sea wall crumbles it would flood our port and ship yards, major ball game stadiums and a large business district.

Not sure what the city and government officials are thinking.

You only live once,if you do it right once is enough.
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Emergency Prepardness Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page