Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Holidays
 Your favorite Halloween costume as a child!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Holidays: Previous Topic Your favorite Halloween costume as a child! Next Topic
Page: of 3

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5079 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5079 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2013 :  11:24:20 AM  Show Profile
Mine was a Ghost! which I was from 3rd -6th grade, in the late 1960's.My Granny would give me the oldest white sheet that had been washed and ironed to death! I would cut the eye holes to fit my face, and my granny would do a applique stitch so they wouldn't ravel and stick me in the eye! One year we sewed a few black and orange patches on it and cut the front a little shorter so I would not trip! I loved the way it billowed out when the wind blew, and dragged behind me on the pavement, of course my brother would step on it and yank it off my head! LOL! I felt like a ghost in an evening gown!Not to mention all that Candy! that would last till Valentine's Day in a shoebox,hidden under my bed!LOL!

Connie
Imagine....#3392

Happy Halloween! and Thanks to all of you for taking the time to share your Memories of the "Good ole Days"! HUGS! Connie

Edited by - Killarney on Oct 31 2013 10:43:57 AM

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2013 :  2:50:54 PM  Show Profile
Oh Connie,
This brings back a few memories ... I was always a tom boy, grew up with 3 brothers and no sisters ... so I was always a hobo ... your ripped flannel shirt, pants with patches and a piece of old rag tied up into a bundle on the end of a stick ... thanks for sharing and the trip down memory lane friend!

Teri
"There are black sheep in every flock"

www.whitesheepfarm.com
https://www.etsy.com/shop/whitesheepprimitive
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2013 :  3:31:26 PM  Show Profile
Teri same here 3 brothers and there clothes always had that hobo look. But 1st grade I was a blue fairy. I loved
the dress and I wanted to wear it every day and so I am sure it disappeared.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2013 :  3:53:27 PM  Show Profile
Nothing stands out in my mind as special. We had this big box of dress ups and each year we all just figured out something fun to be. What I remember the most was the magic of the night with leaves crunching under our feet, big pumpkins grinning from porches and all that candy!! To this day, I walk the neighborhood just to be a part of that magic and enjoy all of the decorations at neighborhood homes!! I have my fat orange pumpkin sitting in my kitchen by my old stove waiting to be carved !!!!

Winnie #3109
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5079 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5079 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2013 :  9:51:10 PM  Show Profile
I am so loving each story!!Teri, Diana, My best friend was always a Hobo too! Dina, that is funny about your blue dress disappearing! LOL! Winnie, you worded it perfectly! It was a magical night! Being poor made it so much so! all that free candy!I have never missed carving a pumpkin in my whole life, or my Daughter's! I still carve one every year and put it on the fireplace. We have no trick-or-Treaters out here in the country, But I love the glow and the smell of the pumpkin cooking by candle flame! LOL!!

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2013 :  05:24:42 AM  Show Profile
Connie~ Carving pumpkins is a Farmgirl MUST! When we were kids, my Mom always scooped out the pumpkin meat when we started the carving. She would scrape the inside meat out , cook it down, puree it and make pumpkin pies for both Halloween night and freeze the rest for Thanksgiving. The faces were then so much easier to create with a thinner shell left to carve. Our traditional Halloween pre-trick or treating dinner was always the same: Baked macaroni and cheese, cooked frozen spinach with hard boiled egg sliced on top and Pumpkin Pie! We kids all agreed it was about the best dinner ever!!!
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5079 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5079 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2013 :  08:38:21 AM  Show Profile
Winnie, My mouth is watering!!

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2013 :  4:46:43 PM  Show Profile
Oh how fun to remember back when- I remember my favorite costume was a plastic barbie dress that you just put over your warm winter coat and a plastic mask with a thin piece of elastic to how it on your face. So tacky but so much fun!! We always carved jack O lanterns! We didn't have a lot of houses to go to, just a few in the country, my grandma would make popcorn balls for the kids and even some of the parents- now my mom makes them for the grandkids and the neighborhood kids. Oh the memories that have just flooded back to me- thank you so much for helping me to remember!!

Lori

God has promised strength for the day, rest for the labor, light for the way, grace for the trials, help from above, unfailing sympathy and undying love.

We are here to love each other, serve each other and uplift each other.
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5079 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5079 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2013 :  7:11:54 PM  Show Profile
Lori, thanks for sharing, I soooo love all your memories! Popcorn Balls!! You brought that memory back for me too, the Plastic mask! I had a Cinderella one in first grade.

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5079 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5079 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2013 :  7:45:55 PM  Show Profile
Lori, It is not Barbie, but close! LOL! you really triggered my memory, My brother was Casper the Friendly Ghost that year, I called him on the phone and said,"do you remember that Halloween" and he said, he did!, He tripped over a stump in the dark because his mask was too big! and spilled all his candy, then I remembered that, taking my mask off and helping him pick some of it up! These Costumes are 50 years old! The Cinderella is an exact copy of the one I had in first grade, a gift from a friend from Ebay! Connie
Imagine....#3392

Edited by - Killarney on Oct 03 2013 7:48:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2013 :  05:43:22 AM  Show Profile
Wow, Connie, how cool is this??? I love that you have an official vintage Cinderella costume!!! Seeing this photo reminds me of my growing up too. Halloween Nostalgia! And those masks were so awfully hot. I never wore them, but they were so popular with everyone. Your friend really knows you well !! Imagine finding the same costume on ebay that you once owned??

Winnie #3109
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2013 :  05:48:36 AM  Show Profile
Connie- Those are AWESOME!!!
Winnie- I forgot how hot they got- thanks for that memory!!

What a great subject! How I wish I still had my Barbie costume!

Lori

God has promised strength for the day, rest for the labor, light for the way, grace for the trials, help from above, unfailing sympathy and undying love.

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3075 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3075 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2013 :  08:58:02 AM  Show Profile
I always loved being a clown. I went all out too - my entire face was painted, I had a curly rainbow wig, rainbow eyelashes, and even big red plastic shoes! Here's a picture of an old picture of me:

Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
http://nndairy.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5079 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5079 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2013 :  11:01:17 AM  Show Profile
Oh Heather , I love it!!! Your so lucky to have a picture!!

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5079 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5079 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2013 :  11:22:39 AM  Show Profile
Winnie, The person she bought Cinderella from said, it was from an estate sale of the same family who had lived there 50 years and never threw anything away. She paid $20.00 for it. They are hard to find, cause they were usually a 1 time wear, they usually tore or the rubber band broke on the mask, or it split. There are some rare ones on Ebay , Like a "Beatles" one and a" Planet of the Apes" that sold for $500.00 each, mint in the box. The boxes they came in are usually hard to fine. The paper trick or treat bag in this picture ,is late 1950's I paid 6.00 for it in January last year. The secret to getting good deals is to buy in the off seasons!I will ask an Ebay seller the story behind something Vintage and if they know they will usually tell you. I love just window shopping Ebay when I can't sleep, it is just like a big ole Antique, Junk store right at your fingertips! LOL! Connie
Imagine....#3392

Edited by - Killarney on Oct 04 2013 11:23:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2013 :  12:56:56 PM  Show Profile
Roller Derby girl, & when I went to indoor parties, I wore the skates. I am old enough that we were lucky enough to get homemade treats when we went out. Popcorn balls, fudges, brownies, and one widow who always had us in for hot chocolate.
Boy how times have changed!

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2013 :  2:36:09 PM  Show Profile
I can remember when I was very young my mother making my sister and I Native American costumes. She did a beautiful job on them and the teacher's were quite impressed. Later I wound up being a gypsy for a few years in another dress my mother had made. I wish I could sew, but alas, my eyesight has always been awful. So, my son's had to put up with store bought costumes and things I put together, such as cowboy outfits.

Happy October & Halloween to everyone!
Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2013 :  3:23:52 PM  Show Profile
My favorite Halloween was when my kids were small. My son was on crutches and his older sisters and a friend's family all decided to go as "accident victims". They taped on old cut off casts, put on slings and fake blood. It turned out to be the one year we had a big snowstorm on Halloween so it was doubly memorable.
Susan

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2013 :  4:16:03 PM  Show Profile
Connie, that Trick or Treat bag from the 50s looks very familiar!!! Hehe, I am giving out my age here. Yes, I am an ebay fan and frequently sell things there and make purchases as well. It is an amazing place because you can find almost anything there!! I have a few paper decorations bought around 1059 or 1960 that I used to decorate my bedroom and still have all these years later. EAch Halloween, I hang them out around the porch for some extra spookiness!!

Winnie #3109
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5079 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5079 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2013 :  5:27:49 PM  Show Profile
Oh! Lisa, Dawn and Susan what Heartwarming! and Funny stories!! My hubby comes in and reads these stories too, he loves Halloween like I do!

Winnie! LOL! I'm telling my age too! I love the Vintage paper decorations! I am so HAPPY that all of you took time to share your memories! I go back and read them again!
Connie
Imagine....#3392

Edited by - Killarney on Oct 04 2013 5:33:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5079 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5079 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2013 :  6:35:35 PM  Show Profile
The above picture is what Tammy received in the Trick -or-Treat swap from Julie-Treelady! Aren't they fabulous!!

Connie
Imagine....#3392

Edited by - Killarney on Oct 05 2013 6:41:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5079 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5079 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2013 :  6:57:59 PM  Show Profile
I had to post a pic of my baby! Holly -38 years old now! LOL! She is the one in the Annie Costume! Her cousin Melissa, in the Ballerina costume. I made her wig from a winter hat and sewed the yarn in with an upholstery needle! that was before the days of Hobby Lobby! LOL! This pic was taken in 1982.
Connie Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2013 :  06:47:44 AM  Show Profile
I keep coming back to check all of the great Halloween memories..they are so wonderful. I didn't realize I much fun we had...I just took it all for granted. Thank you girls for sharing- all of these memories makes my heart so happy!!
Happy Fall Ya'll!!!

Lori

Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5079 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5079 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2013 :  08:01:28 AM  Show Profile
Me too Lori! For me, the more complicated the world gets, the more I love to Reminisce about the simpler times in my life! Hugs to everyone! I know everyone remembers the little goodie sacks. I have a few of my daughters in her scrapbook.

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2013 :  08:33:43 AM  Show Profile
Mine was a witch. I still dress up other Halloween as a witch. Maybe I will have a little Halloween party this year. Just so I can wear my witch outfit...

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1497 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2013 :  08:45:12 AM  Show Profile
My favorite costume was a clown. My mom made the suit from a pattern that could be expanded as I grew so I used it for two or three years. It was blue on one half and Raggedy Ann & Andy fabric on the other with red ruffles and a hat to match. I wore my dad's old white tennis shoes for the big footed effect. Later she made a princess and witch costumes for me that were actually flannel nightgowns so I could go trick-or-treating and then be ready for bed when I got home. But the clown will always be my favorite.

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

http://blueskyanddaisies.blogspot.com

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Holidays: Previous Topic Your favorite Halloween costume as a child! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page