Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Cloth Diapers ? Next Topic  

ILoveBaskets14
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Stefanie
Cross Lanes WV
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2006 :  12:40:48 PM  Show Profile  Click to see ILoveBaskets14's MSN Messenger address
Hello to all .. I'm a new girl on there and thought I would get yall's thoughts on this. I have three childern and are wanting to try early summer next year for another. We thought to try the cloth diapering thing and didn't know if anyone has do this or has any thoughts on how to make your diapers ( patterns ) Love any input.

Baskets of Blessings.

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2006 :  12:56:06 PM  Show Profile
We had a long thread about this awhile back...if you do a search that just says cloth diapers I bet it will come up. There are alot of new gals who could probably add to the conversation on the topic too. I was a cloth diaper user when my kids were babies..and I know there are lots of us here who were or are now.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2006 :  3:25:38 PM  Show Profile
Here's one on line to print out, I have cut out about 6 but still need to serge for a friend.
http://www.ottobredesign.com/en/print/pdf/vaippa_en.pdf
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"

Edited by - KarenP on Oct 26 2006 3:26:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

~Tracey~
True Blue Farmgirl

351 Posts

Tracey
TN
USA
351 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2006 :  07:22:42 AM  Show Profile
Stefanie,

I know of several free online patterns and sites and will email you directly. I will have to dig around for them.

I have/do cloth diapered for YEARS and just couldn't think of doing it any other way.

Tracey,
mama to Callum 13, Katie 8, Wil 5.5, Benjamin 3 and Andrew 6 months!!

http://hansenhootenanny.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ILoveBaskets14
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Stefanie
Cross Lanes WV
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2006 :  08:27:45 AM  Show Profile  Click to see ILoveBaskets14's MSN Messenger address
That would be great. thanks.
Baskets of Blessings
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2006 :  10:06:08 AM  Show Profile
Here's the link to a previous thread that has some great cloth diapering information in it: [http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4002] - hope that helps, too!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

PlumJoy
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

joy
Merced Ca.
50 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2006 :  8:43:17 PM  Show Profile
The great thing about cloth diapers is the money that you save. They have great disposable liners that you can put in them, and they make a pre-soak just for cloth diapers before washing. My Aunt June made me two dozen that had decorative edgeing, but I found that through washing, the different colors along the edges faded out. I raised all three of my children in cloth diapers, and not once did I have to run down to Walmart to spend $11 or $12 on emergency diapers late at night so that you had some for the rest of the night and some to take to the sitters the next morning. I loved them.
PlumJoy
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2006 :  06:25:30 AM  Show Profile
Hi Stephanie,
I happened to stumble across this site in the "marketplace" section on farmgirl connection. Hope it helps. www.clothcraze.com
Bonnie

...she is far more precious than jewels and her value is far above rubies or pearls.
Prov 31:10
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2006 :  4:52:45 PM  Show Profile
My mom used them on her two boys recently and me as well 24 years ago. There is a nack for getting them pinned to stay on though. I used to change the little bros diapers and it was no biggie even for a kid to do. I agree with the saving money aspect. Everyone thinks I am nuts for wanting to use them whenever we have kids, but I think the idea is great!! It worked for years and years, and you know what they say, "if it aint broke, don't fix it!"
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2006 :  6:37:16 PM  Show Profile
I love cloth diapers!! Thanks for the link for the free patterns on line...
Tracey, drop me an email, I would love to check out the sites you have too..
Kate

my new blog http/www.theknifemakerswife.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

~Tracey~
True Blue Farmgirl

351 Posts

Tracey
TN
USA
351 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2006 :  7:51:01 PM  Show Profile
will do kate, as soon as i get 2 hands wiggly teething babe!!

Tracey,
mama to Callum 13, Katie 8, Wil 5.5, Benjamin 3 and Andrew 7 months!!

http://hansenhootenanny.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ILoveBaskets14
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Stefanie
Cross Lanes WV
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2006 :  06:47:38 AM  Show Profile  Click to see ILoveBaskets14's MSN Messenger address
Thanks everyone for your input. :)

Baskets of Blessings.
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2006 :  05:23:10 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
I have no children yet...but I also want to do the cloth diaper thing especially since my mother did it:) I think it's great, cheap, and wonderful for the earth! Also I bet children that feel wet will learn hm I don't like this lemme potty. That's just what I think. I don't like how all the commercial diapers try to hide the wetness yeah I know keep from leaking but the kid should feel wet and be like ew. I saw a 3/4 year old in a stroller with a bottle the other day at the mall. In my eyes for me that's a NONO. I'm curious is there a thread on homemade baby food?

"... to thine ownself be true."
Go to Top of Page

ILoveBaskets14
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Stefanie
Cross Lanes WV
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2006 :  10:04:32 AM  Show Profile  Click to see ILoveBaskets14's MSN Messenger address
I made my baby food .. you can find alot of recipes online and on Martha Stewart.com. You can make your food then put it in ice cube trays and freeze it.Hope you can find some great recipes.

Baskets of Blessings.
Go to Top of Page

PocketFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

119 Posts

Sarah
Utica New York
119 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2006 :  1:34:36 PM  Show Profile
http://www.babyworks.com has great customer service and very reasonable prices. I've cloth diapered three babies and used them for most everything. I highly recommend the bummi industrial wraps...not a pretty name, I know, but they wash really, really well. The wool covers are great, but you can felt them really easily by accident in the new baby chaos. I used bummis with the chinese prefolds, terry washcloths and nylon ditty bags for when we're out and about. We've really had good luck with those. Buy more covers than you think you'll need, and don't use fabric softener! If you buy the unbleached, be prepared to wash them a TON with a semi-harsh detergent before the baby comes...they have a bit of natural water resistance. Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

PocketFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

119 Posts

Sarah
Utica New York
119 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2006 :  1:36:23 PM  Show Profile
I did think mine trained earlier, by the way...but it depends a lot on whether your husband or you were late trainers, too.
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2006 :  1:56:35 PM  Show Profile
I use Motherease dipes, and instead of a harsh detergent I just wash new dipes about 4-5 times in 7th gen. with borax and do not use fabric softener, as they inhibit their wicking and absorbtion ability. And never never never bleach!!

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://frugalwitch.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

PocketFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

119 Posts

Sarah
Utica New York
119 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2006 :  3:29:26 PM  Show Profile
Sorry, GaiasRose, I should have specified. We don't bleach, either, but ditto on the Borax. Nobody told us the unbleached would need so many washings, and it was the Nile River Valley in our bed every morning when Will was little until we figured it out!
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2006 :  6:21:27 PM  Show Profile
Thought I'd throw in my two cents worth on the subject. I did use cloth diapers and loved it. Also, I bought a couple doz. plain white washcloths and used them as wipes. I just threw them in with the diapers to wash and I think my babies liked the nice warm cloths to those cold wipes out of a jar! Cindy

If life gives you scraps, make quilts!
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4178 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4178 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2006 :  6:59:16 PM  Show Profile
I used cloth diapers on my three boys. No problems potty training. Also had the white wash cloths like cindy. Useing cloth is much easier then disposible. No running to town to buy more, and getting rid of them is hard. Saving them up to take to the dump did not thrill me. My mom insisted that I buy a couple jars of baby food for my first born. To have on hand just in case. That was the first and last I ever bought. I had a handy baby food grinder, that you could take anywhere. My kids ate what we did. I would cook veggies, and make plops on a cookie sheet, and once frozen put them in a freezer bag. Good luck Michele
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Cloth Diapers ? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page