Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Floor furnace Next Topic  

mlouise
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Alameda CA
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2006 :  3:07:38 PM  Show Profile
Am wondering if anyone knows a source to purchase a protector to put around a floor furnace that is in use to prevent anyone from stepping on the hot grate.

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2006 :  3:49:26 PM  Show Profile
Hi, mlouise! Welcome to the 'Connection! I'm not sure what a floor furnace is - would some sort of fireplace screen work? That may be a silly suggestion, but I'm not sure what you need. What is your furnace like? In this weather, I'll bet it's getting a workout! Oh - well, maybe not in California!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

mlouise
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Alameda CA
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2006 :  09:39:28 AM  Show Profile
(I'd forgotten one of the reasons I stopped posting.... just wrote a reply and since I wasn't logged in, and the instructions are to go back and log in, going back made my post disappear...)

Hi Libbie- Floor furnaces are a very common heating method in temperate parts of CA, especially in classic bungalow homes. One grated hole something like 18" X 20" in the floor exposes the gas heating unit. Typically this is the only source of heat for the entire house. My question comes from a situation where the heater in in a small, narrow hallway, a typical location. The home has dogs and cats and a person who happens to be blind, tho that isn't critical to the issue.

A different friend's grand daughter got burns on the bottoms of her feet when she walked across this kind of heater in the grandmother's home. I have never seen a manufactured guard for these but figure with so many of them in these homes someone must have produced for sale a guard/shield. But none of my on line searches have found one, which is what made me think about this list and the possibility of someone here having seen such a protector.

A fireplace screen would not work as it needs to be stationary so dogs and others can't nudge it off.

The furnace would be getting a work out, yes, but unfortunately due to this safety issue it isn't being used at all so the home is miserably cold.

Thanks for your interest. Hope you're keeping warm :-) - Marylouise

Edited by - mlouise on Dec 03 2006 09:44:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2006 :  5:31:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Marylouise-

You can find fireplace screens that screw or bolt to the wall (fireplace) rather than the movable ones. These are often used in households that have pets or children as you would not was junior to move the screen and then climb into the fire or even fireplace! I would look for one of those as it seemes like it might be the best solution.
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2006 :  6:46:57 PM  Show Profile
HI MLouise! Welcome (back)! How big is this grate and where exactly is it located? Is it in the middle of the floor or along the wall near the baseboard? www.vandykes.com has floor grates, maybe there is something there to protect &/or prevent burns. We had a house with floor grates but no one ever got burned, we would come in from outside and roll around over it to warm up as kids! Is it possible that the furnace isn't working or vented properly? This is a stumper as we can't visualize what you are dealing with. (Dh does old house restoration (think This Old House) so we have encountered alot of antiquated and unusual situations, but I don't think this one...yet!

with a happy heart

Edited by - bramble on Dec 03 2006 6:55:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  2:31:33 PM  Show Profile
My father-in-law had one of those in his house; right in the hallway where you had to stnd to answer the phone! Scared the bejeebers out of me, but as I recall, the fire was so far down below the grate at floor level, that heat/burns were not the issue. Is this something you can line around the edge with fireprooof carpeting like you see in front of hearths, perhaps tacking it down so it doesn't shift over the open grating.

Do you have an option to put a woodstove in your house as an alternative heat source?

Jo

"There are no strangers here, only friends you've yet to meet."
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Floor furnace Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page