Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Holidays
 ~*~Celebrating Fall: Autumn Excursions~*~
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Holidays: Previous Topic ~*~Celebrating Fall: Autumn Excursions~*~ Next Topic
Page: of 2

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2013 :  08:12:37 AM  Show Profile
Nini and I wanted to have a special place on board where we could all participate in celebrating Autumn. So, we have collaborated and come up with some special threads in honor of the Fall season. So be sure to check other Celebrating Fall threads

You wake up from your cozy flannel sheets and quilt. You grab yourself a cup of hot coffee and get ready for the day. But this isn't an ordinary day, this is one planned, a day for sharing with your family, fellow farmgirls or friends. So, you put on the sweater you learned how to make yourself, your favorite jeans and you pull on your new leather engineer boots. You adorn yourself with a paisley scarf in fall colors and grab yourself a cup of joe to go.

As you drive down the country roads the leaves wake up and dance about the road. You are on an Autumn Excursion!

Are there any traditions that your family has to celebrate Autumn? Favorite places to visit? Special Fall activities?

Please share here

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

Edited by - Calicogirl on Aug 31 2013 1:58:08 PM

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2013 :  08:28:36 AM  Show Profile
I always go to an apple orchard and get different varieties to enjoy. Old varieties like Winesapp, Baldwins, and Rome Beauty are great to eat and to cook with. Merciers in Blue Ridge, Georgia is a favorite place that I visit with a very dear friend of mine who lives in Georgia. Then I always go to a U Pick farm in Asheville NC when I visit in October. My favorite moment in Florida is when we can open the windows and turn off the AC . Cooler drier air is so wonderful!! The few varieties of deciduous tress that turn colors don't happen until late November and December when we are supposed to be trying to get up the Christmas Tree!!!!

Winnie #3109
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2013 :  12:44:23 PM  Show Profile
Winnie, I love going to orchards. I wonder if you can preserve the leaves for the following year? It can be a nice surprise unpacking them to decorate with next Fall.

~Usually on the third Saturday of the month, our local extension office/CSU has a U-pick day. They have dozens of varieties of apples to pick as well as plums and pears. On the same day one of the Beekeepers in our area holds a Honey Pour. You bring your own containers and they pour the honey from a big vat and you pay by the pound.

~When foliage starts turning we like to go out for Brunch at a favorite restaurant and take a drive or hike admiring the colors. It is mostly Aspens different from the east coast but still beautiful. This year we may go to Durango. From what I have heard there is an old fashioned doughnut shop there, so that would be great with hot coffee or cider :)

~I love to go for a picnic with my honey in the mountains. We spend the afternoon four-wheeling and then stop for lunch (consisting of smoked ham and cheese sandwiches with banana pepper mustard on homemade bread, apples, good chocolate and cider) and gleaning branches with leaves, acorns and wild rosehips to decorate with :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2013 :  06:08:32 AM  Show Profile
Sharon - that is SUCH a beautiful place! I can almost smell the fresh autumn air! I can only imagine what it must be like to picnic there!

We SO love apple pickin' season, too! Here are a couple of pics from our trip to Simmon's Farm last year...

Makes me want to hop in the van and go NOW!!! LOL!

I so can't wait - I wonder if this year the picking will be earlier because of the weather? I'm going to have to check that out!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2013 :  11:44:11 AM  Show Profile
Beautiful photos Nini! Makes me want to go now too :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5079 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5079 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2013 :  4:05:36 PM  Show Profile
The harvest moon! I think I found this on Pinterest.
Imagine....#3392

Edited by - Killarney on Aug 31 2013 4:05:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2013 :  4:49:02 PM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh, Connie! Is that not beautiful!!! SO moving! It kind of looks like a beautiful lady, doesn't it? You can almost see her eyes and smile in the sun! LOL! The things I see...

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2013 :  6:38:57 PM  Show Profile
Wow Connie, that sure is beautiful! Oooh, I just remembered that I have a recipe for Harvest Moon Cookies I need to post!

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2013 :  7:39:43 PM  Show Profile
Yes! Please DO, Sharon!!! :)

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13620 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13620 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2013 :  1:06:02 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Last week my hubby and I went to "my mountains" for a hike, wade in Scotch Creek clear, cool water . . . and handfuls of wild raspberries!
They were just the right balance of sweet/tart . . . very yummy!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2013 :  4:56:33 PM  Show Profile
Oh yum CJ!!! They look delicious! Glad you and your honey got away :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9324 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9324 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2013 :  4:26:33 PM  Show Profile
Oh we love to go to the Pumpkin patch every year and to pick apples which I can and dry.

Our most favorite place in the Fall is Maine. We love Acadia. The mountains are beautiful there during the fall.

Denise
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path."
Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2013 :  6:24:02 PM  Show Profile
I have been eagerly awaiting my trips to pick apples. There is an orchard a out 40 miles from us. I go every year and pick all sorts of varieties. I dry them, make applesauce, stewed apples, can cinnamon sliced apples, and of course at least one apple crumb pie using my grandmother's recipe. I love this time of year. It needs to cool down a bit though, yesterday was over 100. I like it when the Indian summer days come and the leaves turn. The russets, oranges, yellows, and shades of brown are beautiful. Unfortunately red does not show up much around here inNW Ks.
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13620 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13620 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2013 :  6:38:59 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
09/04/13
Hike up Ryman Creek. Approx. 4 miles, beautiful scenery, wildflowers, beaver ponds, wonderful outing!! Afterwards, got out our picnic lunch and enjoyed it at trail's end. The best homemade egg salad sandwiches ever!
Love "my mountains"!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9324 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9324 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2013 :  09:09:31 AM  Show Profile
Beautiful CJ!

Denise
Farmgirl Sister #43

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2013 :  09:33:51 AM  Show Profile
Isn't that just beautiful! No wonder you love your mountains, CJ! Enjoy! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2013 :  11:16:46 AM  Show Profile
I always welcome my dearest friend Autumn with "The Annual Autumn Forage". This happens on no particular day, just one that I wake up and feel the familiar and sweet sense of excitement that autumn always brings. The end of summer always leaves me feeling wilted, dusty and tired. That first crisp breath of autumn, with a tinge of smoke and bitter-sweet from the fields and leaves swirling lazily down revives my spirit, leaves me bright and eager for adventure and wakens my gypsy feet. So out with my sturdy forage basket and sundry cloth bags, on with the sweater, jeans and stout comfy boots, walking stick in hand and off I go. First stop is to say hi to the neighbours horses, with treats Rose hips, pretty leaves, acorns and any other decorative possibilities go in bags. And then I head to the nearby wild and abandoned apple trees and the old crab apple trees and survey the years fruit and take the first bites of the crabs. I love sour! I was one of those kids that ate green apples and half ripe blackberries. The adults always told me I'd die of a belly ache, but I never did Then I will pester Drew until he drives me around with apple collecting buckets

Autumn is the beginning of baking time and apples are one of the first scents in my kitchen. This year I don't have enough jars, so I'll be drying apples and making apple butter and other apple lovies to go in the freezer in baggies.

I have a gimpy knee but I don't care and walk all over anyway. Autumn makes me want to go on long walks and go places I've never been.

There will be grey days on the porch listening to geese and pheasants, drinking chai or coffee in a big sweater, wooly socks, tatty jeans while apple and baking scents drift from the kitchen and I plan my next excursions and adventures. I eat much lighter now being gf and low sugar, but nut flours, chestnut flour, buckwheat and other such things lend their own flavor and rich variety. Candles in the house with warm glows in the evening. Every year we explore more of our local farm and ranch folk's goods and have started to have a list of those that we make orders from or visit their farms. I want to go to a pumpkin farm and buy a few to cook down. I want to find some one to hunt a deer for me since I'm too near sighted to shoot one myself lol! I've decided that everyone is getting locally grown and hunted food from me this year for gifts, so I'm really looking forward to adding that search to my list of autumn events.

I can't wait to go now!

Smiles!

You must do the thing you think you cannot do
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Annika
Farmgirl & Sister #13

http://thegimpyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2013 :  2:48:04 PM  Show Profile
Denise, I love Maine, I have not had the privilege of going there in the Fall though.

Kem, I cannot wait for apple picking here! In a couple of weeks our CSU extension orchard has a U-Pick. Apples, Plums, Pears and Grapes 75 cents a pound.

CJ, where is that? We like to take Taylor Creek and fourwheel there.

Annika, you write beautifully! Can I come over for a porch visit? I have a recipe for Chai Tea Concentrate we can make :) I was hoping to have already gone through Hunter's Safety this year but it looks like it won't happen until next year.

Thank you girls for making me smile!

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9324 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9324 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2013 :  4:17:39 PM  Show Profile
Sharon, would love to get some plums to can this year.

I am editing this because I was just checking and found the plums are done for this year.

Annika, I would just love to come sit on the porch with you! I love my porch but rarely have anyone sitting out there with me. You write beautifully and I can see exactly what you are describing in my mind's eye.
Thanks for the Autumn trip!

Denise
Farmgirl Sister #43

Edited by - levisgrammy on Sep 06 2013 4:19:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13620 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13620 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2013 :  4:24:42 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Sharon,
I'll tell you at church where Ryman Creek is . . . BUT you can't fourwheel it more than a few yards!!! :D
CJ

Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5079 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5079 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2013 :  08:40:47 AM  Show Profile
Imagine....#3392

Edited by - Killarney on Sep 08 2013 08:41:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2013 :  05:19:55 AM  Show Profile
Fall is my most most most favorite time of year. I even dislike taking down my falls decs to decorate for Christmas! I do not want ti to be over. It finally turns cooler here in Florida and I look forward to our annual trip to North Carolina to see the colors and ride through the mountains. Killarney, love the photo!

Farmgirl #31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2013 :  09:58:19 AM  Show Profile
We've been gone a week traipsing all over this great state of Washington. Well not everywhere!!! Fall is coming on fast.

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2013 :  7:08:55 PM  Show Profile
Connie, great photo!

Jeannie, I bet that North Carolina is so beautiful in the Fall

Mary Beth, beautiful photo!

Thanks for sharing ladies!

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2013 :  05:16:15 AM  Show Profile
Love these photos!! My daughter lives up in Asheville, NC and we go up to visit her every fall. This year we are planning on the last weekend of October so I am hoping the leaves are pretty! I know the apples will be awesome!! (big grin!!!!!!!) She sent me a text yesterday from the local grocery store where pumpkins are piled up high!!

Jeannie, I see that you live in Florida. Me too. Where do you live? I totally understand how you hate to take down your fall decorations come December. Most of the fall in the south can be very warm and it is not until late November and December that we get what other places enjoyed in September and October. So, just when it really feels like fall, it is time to put up the Christmas tree!!!!! Say what? We were just getting into porch sitting with a mug of hot coffee in the early morn or evening while wearing a sweat shirt! Each passing year, I am more and more reluctant to see fall end and take down all of the pumpkins and scarecrows. Now that the girls are all grown up and moved away, Christmas is much simpler and I don't get into all of the decorating and cookie baking like I used to. Plus, it goes by in such a whirlwind for the month of December! Fall unfolds more slowly over 3 months so that you can get into a rhythm and take your time enjoying various aspects of it. You don't have to get it all done in 25 days!

Thanks for sharing everyone!

Winnie #3109

Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5079 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5079 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2013 :  2:03:42 PM  Show Profile
When I think of Fall, it always includes Halloween. The ones I love in the 1960's when I was in Elementary school. I get so excited when the Fall Vermont Country Store Catalogs start coming almost every 2 weeks! This one came today! and A Fall Goodie from Winnie.Big Hug to you Winnie! It is the same excitement I felt as a kid when the Sears wish Book came. I so hope someday to visit Vermont in the Fall, it is on my Bucket list! Hugs!

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Holidays: Previous Topic ~*~Celebrating Fall: Autumn Excursions~*~ Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page