Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Holidays
 4th of July traditions or activities
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Holidays: Previous Topic 4th of July traditions or activities Next Topic  

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2014 :  8:39:17 PM  Show Profile
Curious what other do on the 4th. We are usually harvesting wheat. 2 of my grandkids will be with us this year. Hoping I can take them in to enjoy the events in our town, but wanting to do something special with them. Do you have any ideas to share. I also know our town is not having fireworks for the first time I can ever remember. Actually one year we didn't have them because of the drought. This year we have had rain and not having them.

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6615 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6615 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2014 :  05:23:52 AM  Show Profile
My girls used to love doing the various sparklers that come in a package in the grocery store. Not firecrackers, the sparklers set off pretty colors and some even made noise. They looked forward to a little show on the sidewalk in the front yard as soon as it was dark enough!

Winnie #3109
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9375 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9375 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2014 :  1:45:59 PM  Show Profile
We always ride down to the high school at dusk to watch the fireworks.

Denise
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path."
Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13639 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13639 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2014 :  3:05:47 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
If we're going camping for a few days we like to go to Ridgway State Park and camp there and then spend the 4th in nearby Ouray, CO. They have a BIG day with a pancake breakfast at the firehouse, a wonderful parade, lemonade and homemade brownies at the museum, a water fight in the afternoon for which they detour through highway traffic. This water fight is with different sized firehoses and ONLY the trained firemen/firewomen are allowed to participate. It's pretty intense! Then there are other things in town before the Flare Parade at dusk just before the fireworks show. The Flare parade is for 4-wheel drive vehicles and they go to the top of the hill that comes down into Ouray, strap on and light flares and then drive slowly in parade style down into town. It's a BUSY, BUSY celebration day there and tons of people come into town. Ouray is a mining town here in southwest Colorado . . . our favorite getaway place!

If we just go out for the day we go to Rico, Colorado, another mountain mining town but just 35 miles away. They have a fun, small town parade in the morning, Navajo tacos at the firehouse and just poking around as you like. Usually there is a fireworks show but it's so late that we don't stay for it. Last year they didn't have it because of drought conditions and I'm not sure if they'll have it this year.

We plan to do the "Rico" thing this year . . . it'll be a nice day out and in "my mountains" (San Juan range of the Colorado Rocky Mountains)
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic 4th of July traditions or activities Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page