LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2013 :  05:43:15 AM  Show Profile
Forgive my ignorance in asking this question, but what does it mean when a seller lists trees for sale as arriving "bare root?"

In my earlier post I mentioned we are making plans to replace old trees taken out in a storm with fruit trees, so I've been checking out on-line orchards who ship trees and all of them are listed as "bare root." What does this mean and how do you plant them? I've planted trees on our property before, but they all came in huge buckets from the nursery.

Farmgirl Sister #3243

"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." - Laura Ingalls Wilder

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2013 :  05:55:49 AM  Show Profile
Bare root means NO dirt or pot. Roots will be (or should be) wrapped in wet newspaper or somethings else that will allow the root not to dry out.
In MY opinion bare root trees, are very small ... you would be better off, buying a larger more established tree. A little more money, but this time of year you should be able to find a few good sales. Good luck.

Teri
"There are black sheep in every flock"

www.whitesheepfarm.com
https://www.etsy.com/shop/whitesheepprimitive
Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2013 :  06:24:37 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the info, Teri. Having previously bought all the trees I've planted on our property in giant pots, I never knew there was such a thing as "bare root."

What's weird is, when I didn't have room for fruit trees, I used to see TONS of them for sale at our local nurseries and would sigh and dream, then move on. Now that we've cleared all the damage out and do have room for planting, all the nurseries I've been to say they are all out of fruit trees for the season - except for the one I went to that had plum trees half price and I did get one of those. I'm going to call two more a little further out later today and see if they have anything available.

Murphy's Law, I guess!

Farmgirl Sister #3243

"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." - Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2013 :  07:26:31 AM  Show Profile
The only thing I ever had success with in the bare root category was Wisteria, which is very hardy. I agree with Terri, spend the extra and get trees.

It all comes back to the ground!

Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2013 :  07:44:52 AM  Show Profile
Suzzanne, the company "stark Brothers", all are sent bareroot, they arrive in a bag (roots only), with some damp soil around them, they are dorment at this time, so planting them is less stress, and is much easier for the tree, have your holes ready when they arrive, and plant them asap...I get all of my trees this way and as I said before, never had a problem...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3488 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3488 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2013 :  08:42:39 AM  Show Profile
I too plant a lot of bare root trees and have never had a problem. All mine have taken off well and grow pretty quickly but it is a bit longer for them to fruit. They arrive smaller than the large ones at garden centers/box stores. More choices when you buy bare root though.

Farmgirl #5111
Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2320 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2320 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2013 :  2:02:49 PM  Show Profile
I worked for our county soil conservation district for several years. All our trees were bare root, yes some were small but at a buck they were worth the money.But we also carried 4 to 6 ft. Trees and if they are planted right away, they do very well. Most of mine had blossoms the first or second year. I have planted hundreds of bare root trees and have had great success.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

country treasure
True Blue Farmgirl

452 Posts

judy
SK
Canada
452 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2013 :  2:41:34 PM  Show Profile
Planted bare root for 35 years & they do really well. We planted a lot of 7' this year & since we're really dry & hot this year we've watered heavy, every 4th day. Keep the roots damp! Dig DEEP holes to afford staking, we have a lot snow & wind, find this is a time saver & saves the trees from breaking.
Small ones grow just as good too! Planted 500 bare root sticks (about 6" long) this spring & they're doing fine. Lots of water to get the roots started.
Here farmers get free sticks through our Prairie Shelter Belt Program (like Julie was mentioning) & can order a variety from the list as long as they last. VERY SAD to say the gov't has cut the program after 100 years of serving farmers...there's a lot of folks outraged!!!! Trying to save the trees!!! Bought the 7' from a tree farm. Approach tree farms in the fall to buy trees plus more for a very reasonable price because they don't want to replant them. They maybe a little crooked or whatever but in a shelter belt in a few years you'll know.
Does anyone else have gopher problems eating at the roots of larger trees?
Judy

country wishes!
Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2013 :  3:08:53 PM  Show Profile
Judy, funny you should mention the gopher. This is the very first year we've had a problem with them in our yard and two of our conifers near what we think is their main hole have started to suffer. I suspect the gophers. We've done every tip online we know how to drive them away and nothing has worked. Anyone have any suggestions?

Farmgirl Sister #3243

Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2013 :  07:27:08 AM  Show Profile
I wonder if my misfortune with bare root trees had to do with not getting them enough water? Of course I got them from a "big box" store which was probably my first mistake!

It all comes back to the ground!

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic bare root trees? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page