LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2013 :  05:01:20 AM  Show Profile
I know it was a really bad year for gardens, but I had a particularly hard time with my heirloom tomatoes. I fertilized, watered, debugged everything like always - and made sure all the soil had plenty of calcium to combat blossom end rot - but my heirlooms really struggled. Most of my plants had a hard time of it this year, but some of the heirloom tomatoes even came out malformed or didn't fruit at all! I've never experienced anything like it - and I did start these myself from seed as usual with reputable organic heirloom seed stock.

Did anyone else experience this?

By the way, my cultivated hybrids did not have this particular problem.

Farmgirl Sister #3243

"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." - Laura Ingalls Wilder

Edited by - LuckyMommyof5 on Aug 19 2013 05:03:41 AM

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2013 :  06:45:38 AM  Show Profile
I had the same issue this summer as well! Deformed tomatoes and all.

It all comes back to the ground!

Go to Top of Page

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3488 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3488 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2013 :  11:28:17 AM  Show Profile
The heirlooms you planted might not be good ones for your area. Hybrids are bred to fight off disease, drought and such. I do only plant heirlooms but for my hot temps I stick to Iraqi tomato breeds, cherry type tomatoes always do well here as well as Lousianna pinks. I do not know which ones would be best for your area, but try different heirlooms next time. I am sure you can find some that will grow in your area. Maybe ask around to see what others in your area grow. Heirlooms are so yummy and fun to grow.

Farmgirl #5111
Blessings
~Kelly~

Edited by - lovinRchickens on Aug 19 2013 11:28:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2013 :  05:48:33 AM  Show Profile
Michelle, you are right about the soil - if I am honest with myself I probably did not condition it as well as I should have this year. I don't think I was expecting quite so many gardening challenges in one season!

Kelly - maybe you are right that I should re-evaluate what I am trying to grow. The worst of the lot this year were my Brandywine Pinks, which usually grow like crazy for me because of our hot, humid weather. Perhaps I should completely mix it up next year and try a whole different set after doing more research on the best recommended for the area. I just hate that so many of them were just completely ruined this season!

Farmgirl Sister #3243

"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." - Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2013 :  07:30:58 AM  Show Profile
I hate waste to Suzanne however if I learn something from it, it doesn't hurt near as bad. I am going to amend my soil and add calcium. I think that is my issue. I had great success this year with eggplant and peppers (jalapeño and green) so I'm basking in that success and the production of figs, blueberries, and pears I had.

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2013 :  11:00:06 AM  Show Profile
Suzanne...I did good with my Heirloom Tomatoes this year...I have had past bad experiences, but learned
that this tomato plant needs continual pruning as it grows or else all the nutrients go to the plant
and not the tomato. This year I pruned like crazy and got a decent amount of tomatoes. I only did one
Heirloom plant but that then I have a postage stamp size garden. My other tomatoes did even better...BUT
the Heirlooms have the BEST FLAVOR! I was passing out samples to friends and family yesterday and everyone
agreed.

So, I hope the pruning idea helps you. Also be sure you did get seeds that are to be grown in your own
area if you use seeds. I am not a fan of seeds...I buy plant starts every year from my local nurseries.

Wish I could pass on some of My heirlooms to you. You also...have hotter weather probably than we do
up here...though we have gone all summer with no rain...we are usually in just in the high 80's.

Hugs,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

"Believe in yourself and let the glitter fly!" P.Smith Mail Art Hostess
Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2013 :  3:15:12 PM  Show Profile
Wow, Peggy - that's a great tip! I never thought of more aggressive pruning with those, but it makes a lot of sense. Even though the year is winding down, I'm going to try it out!! Thanks!

Farmgirl Sister #3243

Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2013 :  07:24:05 AM  Show Profile
I am sure that is what is wrong with my plants. They are huge and leggy but after reading your post I think I need to do some pruning. This may seem stupid but what would be a calcium supplement for the tomatoes you mentioned in an earlier post?

Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2013 :  3:13:17 PM  Show Profile
Michelle - this is going to sound crazy, but for quick calcium supplementation on my peppers, tomatoes and eggplants, I go to my Whole Foods or Vitamin Shoppe stores, get a big (36 oz or more) bottle of kosher bone meal powder, mix about 2 or 3 tbsp into a 2 gallon watering can (mix REALLY well) and pour it right down at ground level on the plant root system. DON'T water from up high, because it will leave a calcium film on the leaves - I am not sure if the white fil is detrimental, I just hate to mess with my plant leaves in any way.

This trick has always worked for me when I need to replace some lost calcium for them quickly. It you see whitish powder on the soild after it dries, just work it in a bit. Works for my containered plants, too.

Farmgirl Sister #3243

Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2013 :  11:33:51 PM  Show Profile
What a great thread! I've been disappointed in my heirloom varieties this year, too, with all the same issues y'all are talking about. We did have a massively wet July, though, so I was thinking that was the issue. Suzanne, your idea about pruning sounds like a good one. Might be too late this year, but I'll keep it in mind for next.

What do y'all think about planting tomato plants in a trench, horizontally, with just the top third or so of the plant above the soil? I've tried that on some varieties and it works great to keep the plants compact and productive. On others, meh.
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic bad year for heirloom tomatoes? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page