mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2013 :  1:35:40 PM  Show Profile
I was wondering what everyone is planting for fall?I've never done a fall garden. I live in southern Mississippi.

It all comes back to the ground!

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3442 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3442 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2013 :  1:58:40 PM  Show Profile
I plant Brussels sprouts, english peas, broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, kale, carrots, cabbage, collards, oregano, cilantro, chard, this year I am tryin kohlrabi. I can not wait to plant currently the babies are all in the greenhouse growing.

Farmgirl #5111
Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2013 :  5:01:37 PM  Show Profile
Wow, Kelly, that sounds amazing! I have never done a fall garden either! I am usually DONE by the end of summer ;)

Good luck and know I am a bit jealous!
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3442 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3442 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2013 :  5:49:56 PM  Show Profile
Marianne
It's a bit hard here in the heat, so when fall comes its so wonderful to garden. No bugs to speak of and plants look gorgeous compared to summer crops who look thirsty often. But I am grateful to get to garden year round. You would have to protect a bit more than I do, but it is rewarding and definitely a more comfortable time to garden here.

Farmgirl #5111
Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2013 :  08:44:15 AM  Show Profile
I live in southern MS so our growing season is fairly decent but we do get frost for a couple of months. Once I get my bearings I would like a greenhouse for those months. I am going to try collards and cabbage again. The cabbage planted during the summer got a strange slimy rot on them. It was smelly too! I am also giving another round to potatoes. I think the seeds I used were to old or something. It was a disappointment for sure.

Go to Top of Page

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3442 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3442 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2013 :  09:19:52 AM  Show Profile
Michelle
We too get freezes but really makes most of the brassicas taste sweeter. The only thing it affects is the heads of broccoli so I just lightly cover them not the whole plant. Spinach some times is an issue if it is a hard freeze but not otherwise. English peas can not take freezes either. But everything else on my list does great. I wish you lots of luck, I think both cabbage and collards will do wonderful for you.

Farmgirl #5111
Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2013 :  06:49:15 AM  Show Profile
I'm heading out this weekend to the city to pick up a few plants. How do you think cucumbers will do? I had a few rotten cucumbers sprout and I planted them. The previous crop did not do well!

Go to Top of Page

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3442 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3442 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2013 :  11:14:22 AM  Show Profile
I do think cukes will do pretty good if planted pretty quickly and they can grow until the cold comes, but only in the greenhouse after cold hits. My Cukes did get too hot this year. But I have let them all go for now only because I want all the crops that grow well in the colder months to flourish. I also plant a lot of onion and garlic and they all grow superbly over the winter and harvest mid spring.

Farmgirl #5111
Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2013 :  07:34:01 AM  Show Profile
Our garlic did wonderfully this year! The cukes are already in the raised bed because I just transplanted them from inside a cinderblock to the bed. I hope I can get at least a few pints of pickles. I talked to the hubby and he agreed to fund a fall garden because I did pretty well with everything but tomatoes.

Go to Top of Page

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3442 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3442 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2013 :  08:26:43 AM  Show Profile
I am thrilled, just have to let go of the failures and keep on growing.

Farmgirl #5111
Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic fall fashion Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page