Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 planting plum trees/orchard fruits...any advice?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic planting plum trees/orchard fruits...any advice? Next Topic  

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2013 :  6:53:40 PM  Show Profile
Hello Farmgirls!!

Sorry to have been away so long - life, craziness and my first year homeschooling consumed me, but I missed you all!!

About a month ago a tornado went through our backyard - no joke, our BACKYARD!! I get down on my knees every day and thank God that it missed our house, because we didn't get a warning and it hit at 3 am! We're all ok, but it tore three trees right out of the ground, took out the power lines and poles behind us and generally ripped up our yard (half my raised bed of veggies was shredded to bits). We had to pay thousands of dollars out of pocket to fix the damage because we found out that through a bit of a loophole we weren't entirely covered for what our insurance called, "wind damage."

Anyway, to make a long story short, we've cleaned up, old trees gone (we hired an Amish family who took away all the felled and damaged trees for firewood, so at least it went to good use) and we've decided to replant with fruit trees. We did a little research and decided we definitely wanted a self-pollinating plum tree variety and went to the nursery to see what they had. We looked and looked and finally chose a beautiful looking Green Gage Plum tree. It was actually a breed I had not come across before and was so excited to bring it home. Then I started looking up some info online and found about a hundred entries singing their praises....and a hundred more calling them the worst plum tree ever. Does anyone grow Green Gage Plums? If so, how has your experience with them been?

Also, does anyone else have any suggestions/advice for growing orchard fruits? I have limited space and am looking for varieties that are super cold hardy, heavy producers and disease resistant. I also like to keep my yard as organic as possible, so organic fruit growing tips would be really appreced!

Thanks!

Farmgirl Sister #3243

"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." - Laura Ingalls Wilder

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2013 :  7:25:41 PM  Show Profile
I only buy my fruit trees from "Stark Brothers", they have a web site and a catalog, they are in Missouri, and are the best tree company out there...they give tons of help and advice, if your tree or any other plant does not do well, they replace or refund, no questions asked...they will not sell you anything that will not grow in your zone...

I have never heard of a Green Gage Plum Tree, but it may be cause it will not grow in my area...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2013 :  04:30:23 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the tip on Stark Bros! Their website looks great and I requested a catalog. It will give me time to learn and plan for next year.

No one I've asked seems to know about the Green Gage Plum, either. But, it is listed as hardy for my zone and is self-pollinating, so it fit with what I wanted to start with. I'm going to follow the planting instructions, cross my fingers and hope for the best. That's all you can ever do for gardening, right?

Farmgirl Sister #3243

"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." - Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3488 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3488 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2013 :  11:36:49 AM  Show Profile
Suzanne
I sure do not know about the Green Gage Plum, I do however hope it works out well for you. I buy my tress at Trees of Antquity, they have always been nice and trees arrive wonderful. Good luck in your tree buying, we too have been replacing old trees (oak wilt) with fruit and nut trees. I am so glad you all kept safe through a horrible tornado.

Farmgirl #5111
Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2013 :  05:36:38 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Kelly - I checked out Trees of Antiquity website and requested a catalog from them, too.

What fruit and nut trees are you planting or interested in planting?

Farmgirl Sister #3243

Go to Top of Page

AlyssaMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

AlyssaMarie
Palouse Washington
USA
287 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2013 :  08:36:18 AM  Show Profile
Have you tried asking your local Master Gardeners or Extension office? I've never heard of that variety either and it isn't sold by the nursery I order all my trees through here. We've planted 20+ fruit trees on our property and are adding 30 more next spring. (I'm a bit insane I know but I refuse to plant ornamentals when I can plant something that bares fruit. Hahaha! And they're pretty when they flower.) The nursery I go through is Van Well Nursery in Wenatchee, WA and they've been in business for generations. They are super super helpful whenever I call, and they know their fruit trees. They work with commercial growers, but they also help backyard folks too. You might try giving them a call and asking if they know.

AlyssaMarie @ Link'd Hearts Ranch
Go to Top of Page

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3488 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3488 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2013 :  08:37:59 AM  Show Profile
Suzanne
I have growing already avacado, pecan, three varieties of apples, lemons, limes, figs, pomegranate, blueberries, dewberries, am trying the 5 in one pear trees and the fruit cocktail trees and so far they are doing great. I really want to grow a persimmon tree and a blood orange but have not gotten any to root well yet so I may buy them for next season.
What are you adding in addition to your plum? Cherries do well in cooler temps. I want one but too hot here and not cold long enough.

Farmgirl #5111
Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2013 :  05:27:51 AM  Show Profile
AlyssaMarie, I absolutely love your philosphy about planting more fruit trees! I wish I had the space to do that many - it would be a slice of heaven!

Kelly, I love the variety you are cultivating. I wish we had the climate for avocadoes, my little girls are crazy for them! I probably have room for 3 other trees besides the green gage plum I got, so I'm debating what else I should try to put in. Weather and pollinating are factors. Green Gage is a self-pollinating plum, but produces better (according to online info I read) if there is another European Plum nearby, so I wonder if I should get another variety of Plum. I am very interested in tart cherry varieties, so have been reading up on those. Any suggestions on cherry cultivars? Yesterday we bought a rather vigorous looking fig tree on clearance, but I think I may pot that in a very large container and keept it close to the house.

I also wanted to ask if anyone else has problems with deer, and if so, how you keep them away from the fruit trees. More land near us was converted to protected park land (which I am thrilled with, don't get me wrong!) But now we are getting about a dozen+ deer through here every day (and I don't know how many more overnight). I've deer fenced off my veggie plants, but I can't see how I can deer fence off the whole area I plan to put in the fruit trees. Any ideas on what I can do? Also, we have a crazy amount of squirrels...is there a way to keep them away from fruit trees? What about raccoons? We get scores of them, too.

Farmgirl Sister #3243

Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2013 :  07:36:15 AM  Show Profile
I agree with Suzanne, AlyssaMarie has a great philosophy about planting something that produces. As I prepare to design a new front hedge I am going to keep this in mind. Suzanne if a dear came in my yard my boys would have a party! But I know they are annoying. Kelly I have never grown an avocado tree.

It all comes back to the ground!

Go to Top of Page

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3488 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3488 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2013 :  08:08:05 AM  Show Profile
Suzanne
I wish I had an idea for you in cherries but because I can not grow them here I have not done much research. But you are lucky in that they probably would do so well in your area. Deer.....now that's another story. We have a huge influx of them and we do fence all trees. The fencing does not have to be tall just wide so that they will not be able to reach the trees. Deer are beautiful but can be such pests.

Michelle,
I just planted my avacado tree this last spring, it looks really pretty and has put on good growth but the trees do not do well with freezes so I am a bit nervous there. But I pray I can protect it enough to keep it alive. As the tree grows it will handle cold better I know.

Farmgirl #5111
Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2013 :  3:03:21 PM  Show Profile
Kelly - what do you use to build the tree fences out of? I use a semi-hard plastic "deer fencing" around my raised bed and patio container garden because it is easy to put up and take down every year and simple to repair (zip-ties! LOVE my zip ties!).

My girls do love seeing the deer everyday, but it's hard to keep them away from the cultivated plants. I don't mind so much when they want to eat ground cover, or even the ferns and hostas, since we have SOOO many everywhere and they grow back like gangbusters every year. But to put so much time and energy in on growing stuff we need and want to eat, only to see the squirrels, chipmunks, gophers, deer and raccoons eating it all up is heartbreaking and frustrating. Despite my strawberries being fenced off again this year, squirrels and chipmunks still managed to get in and steal most of the fruit!

Farmgirl Sister #3243

Go to Top of Page

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3488 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3488 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2013 :  08:44:32 AM  Show Profile
Suzanne
I just use big box store rolls of fencing, wrap around t-posts and tie closed with Velcro straps for easy access. The fencing also prevents all the feral cats from getting in tree and garden areas. Once the trees get tall enough we remove fencing and deer can eat what they can reach. Works good for my pecan trees. Will not work for the smaller trees like apple or more bushy like my figs. But oh yes we use zip ties as well, however the colored Velcro straps are working great and then we can reuse them later. My girls love the deer too....they hand feed them. I do not mind sharing food with the deer but not everything like they sometimes do.

Farmgirl #5111
Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic planting plum trees/orchard fruits...any advice? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page