Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Holidays
 Traditional Thanksgiving Dinner Dish
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Holidays: Previous Topic Traditional Thanksgiving Dinner Dish Next Topic  

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  3:59:20 PM  Show Profile
do you have a family tradition .. where someone (or you) always provide a certain dish at Thanksgiving Dinner?

My Nannie (aunt who raised my brother, sister and me) .. could whip up a mean Tapioca Pudding with Raisins .. Auntie Em always came through with her great tasting squash casserole .. my sister shasha brought the 'french style green bean/mushroom soup and french fried oinon rings .. from a can' .. aunt pat supplied the most fabulous pumpkin pies (well, except for the year she forgot to put the SUGAR in them! i had a beau at the time that choked it down to be polite before we discovered it had no sugar!)

let's hear some of your traditional foods! xo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

EagleNest
True Blue Farmgirl

192 Posts

Mary
Yakima WA
192 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  7:43:22 PM  Show Profile
We always have scalloped oysters, which are always better the next day. This year I will add a new tradition: Chocolate Cayenne Chillover with raspberries. There goes that chocolate again.
Mary

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Gal 5:22
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  8:02:23 PM  Show Profile
I like to toss a handful or two of pecans into my stuffing mix. That's become sort of my "tradition" ..also I have decided that every holiday must, must, must have apple pie in memory of my grandmother.
I'll probably make my mashed potatoes with rosemary and bacon a family tradition too.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2006 :  05:53:55 AM  Show Profile
My family always relies on me to make the stuffing (out of the bird) and the corn pudding (a double batch). My stuffing has apples, pecans, sesame seeds, celery and good ole sage. Nice sweet savory combo, and there's never any leftover, which is sad! My mother in laws (I have a step and a regular) are the dessert bringers. The step mother in law makes the BEST jello molds I've ever seen--they're absolutely gorgeous and so refreshing, and the other makes the prettiest, best tasting pies this side of the Mississippi.
Aside from great traditional food, the most wonderful tradition this family has is that both mother in laws are best friends, and we don't have to choose between houses every holiday!

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page

ktknits
True Blue Farmgirl

582 Posts

Kathy
Northwest Indiana
USA
582 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2006 :  06:34:43 AM  Show Profile
You have an Auntie Em???! How Awesome!!

I always make oyster dressing for both my dad and my husband's dad. Both of our moms can't quite stomach even cooking with oysters. My husband won't get near the kitchen when I'm making it either! My husband's mom always makes great homemade noodles too! My mom is a good cook, but it's pretty much just the traditional turkey, potatoes, dressing, peas, corn & rolls.

I'm hungry now!
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2006 :  06:52:27 AM  Show Profile
Auntie Em .. she is about 88 years old now. She is one of the two aunts that raised me, my brother and sister. Strange .. but we called her EMMA when we were growing up .. not even Aunt Emma. When the next generation of children came along .. she just became Auntie Em. Two aunts raised us .. our precious Nannie .. who literally gave her entire life up to raise us .. broke off her engagement when her fiance did NOT want to take on raising three children! Nannie was so EXCITABLE .. i would often here her exlaim "DOOOOOO JEZUZZZZ" .. my sister took after her.

Auntie Em was the 'rock' .. who, if she got worried about something .. she ALWAYS hid it from the children ... i think i got her strength in that area. What precious memories!

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2006 :  07:46:02 AM  Show Profile
We always have Dressing and homemade mashed potatoes.

~~Bridge's Boutique~~
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2006 :  08:13:10 AM  Show Profile
We have a corn pudding recipe that is a must for EVERY holiday! I submitted it to the Farmgirl Connection Cookbook so you'll have to order the book to find out the recipe!!! HEEEHEEEE!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2006 :  09:01:23 AM  Show Profile
dressing (in the bird), cream cheese mashed potatoes, pumpkin pie with real whipped cream

Handmade purses and bath delights at www.rusticcottagecreations.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2006 :  11:21:53 AM  Show Profile
Every Thanksgiving I make Scallop Casserole, (the recipe is in the Farmgirl Connection cookbook as well!), and freshly made Pumpkin Pie, made by my nephew Brandon and me. It's his favorite pie and it has become a tradition that we make it the day before Thanksgiving. He is quite good at it now! I know it's not a dinner thing, but in the morning we have the Heap-Big Thanksgiving Breakfast Bash with fried dough( with fresh butter and maple syrup or molasses), bacon, sausage, fruit and orange juice. I usually have to thaw out and rise 8 pounds of frozen bread dough for our family!! Well, there are 18 of us!! We don't eat again until 5:30 in the afternoon. No one has any room for food until then! :)

Karin
Go to Top of Page

summerbreeze
True Blue Farmgirl

277 Posts

Laura
WA
USA
277 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2006 :  7:40:08 PM  Show Profile
Mmmmm, it all sounds so good. The last few years we have been at family for the holiday. My sister-in-law does not like turkey so Thanksgiving is nontraditional at her house. She also does not know how to cook and has no interest in learning. She has my two nices and my nephew so I keep going back. Between me, my husband and brother we can put together a great dinner. My Grandmother (she passed away last Thanksgiving weekend) loved crab so I alway brought fresh crab legs. My brother makes homemade tamales. My husband pulls a few new recipies for a surprise.
If we go to my sister-in-law in New York, the food is always womderful. My husbands family is Jewish and we have a wonderful assortment of dishes. The traditional turkey with noodle pudding.
When we cook at home and have friends over we usually deep fry a turkey. No matter where I am someone always calls me for my sweet potatoes recipe.

40oz can of yams or cooked and mashed fresh (3-4 cups)1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs beaten
1/2 cup milk
1/2 stick of butter
1/2 tsp vanilla

Mash yams and beat with sugar. Stir in remaining ingredients.

Topping:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup soft butter
1/3 cup flour
1 cup pecans

Cut butter into nuts,sugar and flour to make a crumbly mixture. pour over sweet potatoes and bake 30 minutes at 325degrees.
Laura

You only live once,if you do it right once is enough.
Go to Top of Page

PlumJoy
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

joy
Merced Ca.
50 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2006 :  5:17:33 PM  Show Profile
Listening to all of you has made me so hungry. I was always the one who brought the home made yeast rolls. My new husband told me that he wanted me to make them as good as his mom did. My first attempt was just awful. Even our old dog wouldn't touch them. So as a joke my husband used them as skeets and he shot them. He laughed, but I cried. I kept trying though and now I make a mean yeast roll.

PlumJoy in California
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2006 :  6:05:38 PM  Show Profile
We have a tradition in the making.Our son and his 3 cousins(all boys ages 14, 13, 11 and 9) have started making a "surprise" dish for the holidays. They plan, shop and cook this treat all together and they bring it to the meal. So far so good, last year we had some kind of zesty pumpkin soup with toasted pumpkin seeds! Who knows what this year, it's always a surprise! We did hear alot of giggling
before it was served but they did really well! You have to love Food Network, some lucky girls are going to get these guys who like to cook! Mom may have started them cooking but Food Network made it cool to be a guy who cooks!
As for me...like last year, spinach souffle, pumpkin pecan pie, mincemeat pie and Julia's Cranberry Chutney! Look under Kitchen Topics for last year around this time, there are some delicious recipes posted you shouldn't miss! Julia's Chutney is FABULOUS!!!!
The only difference for us is the whole family on my dh's side is travelling to Ct. to my sister in laws! Puts a new spin on "The Moveable Feast"!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2006 :  01:49:27 AM  Show Profile
My daughter always asks for sweet potato casserole. I cook the sweet potatoes, skin and and mash them. Then I add orange juice, brown sugar and butter. I top it with almond slivers or roasted pecans. The recipe I use actually calls for a layer of sliced bananas in the center. I like that, but the rest of the fam does not, so I leave those out.

We always have fresh (not frozen) turkey, corn bread dressing, broccoli casserole, mashed potatoes and giblet gravy (I love to make gravy), rolls and sweet potatoes. And chocolate layer cake with jamoca ice cream. We figure of we are going to have dessert, it should always be chocolate!

Peace
Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic Traditional Thanksgiving Dinner Dish Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page