Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 prairie dress pattern?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic prairie dress pattern? Next Topic  

homemakerkate
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

Kate
Ewen Michigan
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  1:51:49 PM  Show Profile

I know that I hardly ever post, so hello to everyone from michigan's upper peninsula.
I am a stay-at-home mom, wife and seamstress. I have four busy kids that keep me young(ha ha)
I was wondering if anyone here knew where I might find a (free?) pattern for a simple praire dress (and bonet too?).
I have this beautiful crocheted(sp?)cotton lace and am looking for a creative way to use it. I dont really want to put it on a pillow. Any other ideas would be apprieciated. Thanks

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  2:23:47 PM  Show Profile
Hi Katie in the UP! I love it up there -- I'm originally from Holland, Michigan, and have taken many a summer car trip across the Bridge. Just wanted to say Hi and welcome in!

(I'm sure someone else will be able to help you with a prairie dress pattern)
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  3:59:21 PM  Show Profile
Katie, I think Simplicity & Mccalls have prarie dress patterns in the costume section.
http://www.mccallpattern.com/costumes/page-2

I will keep my eyes open at the thrift shops for them for you!! Are you wanting adult size, or girls?

~~Bridge's Boutique~~
Go to Top of Page

Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  6:01:35 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Katie! What size pattern do you need?? I'll look through my patterns and see if I have anything. BTW, My son is moving from Colo. to Traverse City in 1 week. Do you know anything about that area?? I guess the rent is goofy cause off season it's reasonable, but come tourist time it all goes way up??? Any hoo, welcome, I think you'll love it here.

--
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.
Go to Top of Page

faithymom
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Faith
Sandpoint ID
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  10:30:33 PM  Show Profile
How good are you at making your own patterns? I could call you on the phone and tell you how to do a really easy chemise, which could be a prairie dress with the 'right' fabric...
I also may have an actual pattern...I will look tomorrow and let you know.
Faith
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2006 :  08:05:53 AM  Show Profile
Ohh that RENAISSANCE dress on that link was pretty!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

tziporra
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Robin
Seattle WA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2006 :  2:23:01 PM  Show Profile
What size do you need? Keep an eye out for the $0.99 pattern days at your local fabric store. I don't know if you have Jo-ann's where you are, but over here it's Veteran's day weekend for Simplicity. I never buy patterns but when I can get them for a dollar!

Best,

Robin
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2006 :  10:45:19 PM  Show Profile
Hi Katie,
I was looking through patterns a few days ago an came across a pattern from my high school days. OK, this will give you an idea how OLD I am! LOL The pattern reads Mcalls, "Bicentennial Wagon Train Pilgramage" and is for a sweet blouse, skirt, jumper, apron, and shawl. The dress/skirt/apron are ankle length. It's a size 8 which measures: bust 31 1/2", waist 24", hip 33 1/2. It was never used and is uncut. My skill was no match for my enthusiasm at the time! I'd be happy to mail it to you if you are interested. Just send a PM and let me know your address!
Rhonda

I'm a one girl revolution.
Go to Top of Page

suzyhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

Clare
Tyler Hill PA
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2006 :  05:08:11 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Katie. I know I have several Praire Dress Patterns for both adults and child. Let me know what size and style you are looking for. My daughter and I dressed for several years when we worked at a living history museum (homeschooled so she got to go along. She learned to spin and weave while there. The kids enjoyed seeing another child so those things even more than the adults.)

I also agree with Robin. You can find Simplicity Patterns on sale for Veterans day for 5 for $5 at JoAnns. It might be easier to just go look and buy what works for you. Usually, they are still $1 a piece and you can buy just one or two or three at that price. I think they just like to encourage you to buy 5 or more. :)

Country girl in NE PA
Go to Top of Page

homemakerkate
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

Kate
Ewen Michigan
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2006 :  8:11:56 PM  Show Profile
hello! gosh, I am so sorry that it has taken me so long to get back here! please forgive me. I not only sew and teach sewing on the side but I am an EMT and have been busy with that lately...that is an unpredictable job.
Joanne's for me is in Marquette, 100 miles to the east. (I dont get out of town much LOL!) There used to be a JoAnnes in Houghton now closed and Rhinelander WI now closed...:(
Katie-ell: Hugs to "michigander" and if your ever up this way again...(wait till the snow melts)

Bridge: funny you should mention the costume section...I have been getting LOADS of requests now that Halloween is upon us...Iam thinking that I might start taking orders for costumes in August! I sence a whole business lurking in there somewhere...

Luzy: Traverse City is absolutely lovely and a bit pricey. Playground to MI's rich...with ski resorts, and the bay ect. Places out of town would be more reasonable. Tell him he MUST go SMOOCH THE MOOSE. dont worry he'll figure it out. If you plan a visit, go durring the Cherry Fest. You will have the best time then!

Robin: how right you are, pattern prices can get nutty. I have found some Great vintage and even some new patterns at places like St. Vincent De Paul and Goodwill stores, way under a dollar.

Rhonda: oh big hugs! I wont mention the last time I fit in an 8...big sigh...however funny as it may sound I do dream about being that cute and slim again.

Clare: Would you have that pattern in a little girl size, 6 would be best, but smaller would work as well? Maybe you could trace it for me? I could send you postage....

JoAnn's for me is about 100 miles to the east, In Marquette. I live in a wee little town called Ewen. There use to be a JoAnnes in both Houghton (80miles) and Rhinelander WI (1+hour trip) but both closed about 2 years ago...:(
oh gosh, it is late, after 11pm and I am getting "punchy" but I promise I will check in again and sooner this time.
hugs to all, Katie
Go to Top of Page

homemakerkate
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

Kate
Ewen Michigan
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2006 :  8:13:54 PM  Show Profile
look, see that!
I repeated myself...
I knew I was tired!
ok, off I go to talk to myself now.
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2006 :  10:01:11 PM  Show Profile
Katie - hee, hee! I've done that so many times! 'Glad to know I'm not alone!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

JenniferJuniper
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Jennifer
New Hampshire
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2006 :  05:45:43 AM  Show Profile
Katie, if you want me to pick up a few of the Simplicity patterns for you when they're on sale for 0.99 at Joann next weekend & mail them to you, I'd be glad to. I'm going there for the sale anyway. You can check out the Simplicity website for patterns & PM the #s to me.

I lived in way-south Mississippi for a few years in a town with 2 Walmarts but little else. I had to drive 90 miles to New Orleans to shop, so I can totally relate to "shopping = full day road trip." Let me know!
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2006 :  04:14:35 AM  Show Profile
Sorry I didn't see this before. You might try googling for Folkwear patterns, they have a number of prairie dresses. Their patterns are pretty authentic, and I have always admired the designs - never sewed them since I am a larger size and they have only recently begun expanding into the larger sizes.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Wood Bee Farmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Joanne
Folsom California
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2006 :  3:47:11 PM  Show Profile
I have the Folkwear prairie dress with bonnet and apron. I will share it if you still need one. I can copy it for you and mail just your size. I use tissue if that is okay. I just came back, so I'm alittle late reading your post and you probably have a pattern by this time. Let me know if I can help.
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic prairie dress pattern? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page