Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 shirtwaist dresses?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic shirtwaist dresses? Next Topic  

lcelmer
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Lana
Woodburn OR
37 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2006 :  09:01:23 AM  Show Profile
Anyone out there wear dresses around the house? I am toying with the idea of making up a shirtwaist style dress for everyday... I am no longer however slim ... any ideas? I tend to look better in deepish(not scandalous) v neck...

anyone have any links to dresses? or pattern ideas?

Lana C. :-)
Let everthing that has breath praise the Lord! Psalm 150:6

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2006 :  09:04:43 AM  Show Profile
I wear skirts and dresses CONSTANTLY. I love them and I love how I feel in them. Let me take a peek at my patterns, otherwise, I suggest that you find a wrap style dress....those look good on EVERYONE and if you find a pattern, you can make it how you want it! Add an apron and you can wear it a few days in a row provided you don't get too funky in the pits ;)

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
blog: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2006 :  10:17:05 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
Lana,
I always wear dresses or skirts (unless I am doing something that requires leg protection or climbing a ladder). I find that a dress made of light fabric with good drape is actualy more slimming than pants. They also look so cute and country under an apron.

I have been cleaning house and have 3 patterns in my "get rid of" pile that you may be able to use. One is a very simple, dress with a raised waist line (slimming) and two neck/skirt varriations (one of the necklines is V). It comes in sizes xs-xl and since I did not cut on the lines you could make any size. I used this pattern to make my all time favorite dress, but since hubby doesn't like the style I am getting rid of the pattern. The second is a square neck tank style dress with several varriations (doesn't look right on me) and again it is size 10-22 not cut on lines. The third is an A line dress with a over dress to make in contrast. I planned to make one under dress and several overdresses to match. It is cut out in size 18 (bust 40, waist 32, hips 42). Let me know if you want them and I'll mail them out. Actualy, I should post the other patterns on the barter page...

Hope this helps. I know it's not quite what you asked for, but I do tend to chase rabbits.

Trina

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2006 :  7:27:42 PM  Show Profile
I have RA and FM and am in constant pain. Dresses and skirts just make me feel better....I can't tolerate too many tight things on this body. Sometimes it's cheaper to go to Goodwill or the Salvation Army and look at their selection of dresses. I just purchased six dresses for $10. Sometimes material costs more than buying them already made and broke in! just a thought. Susan
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2006 :  7:36:22 PM  Show Profile
I wear dresses or skirts all the time. My favourire outfit for everyday is a cargo denim skirt from Roamans that sells for just $16.99 ..not bad for a very sturdy denim skirt with a drawstring adjustable waist band!I also have the same skirt in a khaki color.These skirts can be dressed up or down..paired with a dressy blouse and pumps or t shirt and sandals.Here is a picture so you can see.

http://www.roamans.com/product.aspx?PfId=58463&DeptId=9841&producttypeid=1&PurchaseType=0

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2006 :  7:53:10 PM  Show Profile
I love wearing skirts/dresses and BarefootGoatgirl is right, an apron looks and feels 'right'with a dress! I especially like them in winter, wearing my woolly tights underneath. Nearly time for me to pack them away - springtime here - and you'll all be getting yours out ready for autumn/winter. I found a great bargain at my fabric store - 2.5 metres of pure wool skirt fabric for only $3 per metre - just waiting for a warm winter skirt for next year. Problem is, I can't wait to wear it!!
Best wishes,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2006 :  7:55:32 PM  Show Profile
I also have been toying with the idea of dresses or tunics with loose pants. I have fibromyalgia and tight clothes hurt. I've been seeing a few women around who have dresses that one might consider too short, but are worn with loose pants or leggings. I rather like the look. I've even surfed around the web looking for 'modest clothing' and have found nice items on Islamic clothing sites and orthodox Jewish clothing sites. Also, there are Mennonite cape dresses which are very loose, but held together on the top with a sort of slip-over vest. I think that some of these outfits that are mandatory for some to wear, are actually quite comfy and practical in design. There is also the basic jumper (Kwik Sew patterns has a plus-size one) and shirt/tee/ whatever!

Jana
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2006 :  9:35:58 PM  Show Profile
you can find modest clothing at http://www.hannahlise.com/

I know the owners of the company. The mom is a homeschooling mom of about 6 kids..at least at last count..she may have more kids by now. They are a very sweet family.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

lcelmer
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Lana
Woodburn OR
37 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2006 :  08:22:45 AM  Show Profile
thanks all for the input.... I have a walmart close by that has $1 fabrc and frequently I find nice stuff there... I figure that making a dress is affordable if I use ony $5 worth of fabric! :-) I have waiting in da stash, a rusty red suiting, a blue and green paisly thin knit, a melon shade of tshirt knit, a length of blue knit, a lovely sky blue tshirt knit and a striped twill perfect for a skirt or 2 . Now, I thought that I should use something else for a shirtwaist dress, may be a cotton or something like it.... HEY! Baby Cordoroy for winter! OK, Im on the prowl for deep apple green/or brown/ or rusty cord...

Thanks everyone...

Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2006 :  08:28:50 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
Lana,
Did you want the patterns? Or should I send them to Goodwill?

Trina

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23
Go to Top of Page

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2006 :  1:56:20 PM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
Tina, I love that site...I especially like that it says "attractive and no frump"! LOL The picture of the girl wearing a skirt and purple shirt and jacket is a lot of what I wear. Thanks again!

Julia
BlueApple Farm
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2006 :  7:55:17 PM  Show Profile
Lana .. i, too, much prefer a loose feel on my body. clothes just seem more swishy and sway-ey when they aren't so tight .. and shirt-waists sound so uncomfortable to me .. and i'm thinking that they look best on skinnie-minnies.

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

Lizabeth
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Washington
560 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2006 :  07:29:31 AM  Show Profile
Folkwear patterns has a great option, the Kamiz tunic and churidar pants from India. 3/4 length sleeve so it doesn't drag into anything, the length of a below the knee dress, convenience of pants. the seams are very flatering.
http://www.folkwear.com/patternindex.html
#135 Jewels of India

also, Simplicity pattern #4125 is a lovely wrapfront blouse that could be attached to a skirt, or worn separately.
http://www.simplicity.com/index.cfm?page=searchResults_C.cfm
(if you click on the picture it takes you to other styles possible with that pattern)

I enjoy sewing, and would be willing to make this or another pattern for anyone.
Go to Top of Page

JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2006 :  1:54:49 PM  Show Profile
well! frannie, lol!!! i am a real skinny minnie 100 lbs, i do like the wrap arounds though. my sister is a bit bigger. she wears alot of jumpers, they make her look slimmer, and country looking soooo sweet. i have to put on some weight though. fer sure. i have i think only wrap arounds so fa,r and a few jumpers that are too big for me now, but i think i will hang on to them for a bit. by by jo~

love is all you need
Go to Top of Page

Clothcraze
Farmgirl in Training

42 Posts

Kristina
CT
USA
42 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2006 :  4:35:04 PM  Show Profile
Lizabeth, the simplicity link didn't work. I'm really good at following directions, but not much of a "pattern maker" myself.

Anyone who could point me in the direction of some apron top patterns and maybe some drawstring or wrap a-line panel skirt patterns, I'd be really grateful!!

Kristina
Mama of 5
Seeker of a simpler life
www.clothcraze.com
Go to Top of Page

Clothcraze
Farmgirl in Training

42 Posts

Kristina
CT
USA
42 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2006 :  4:37:10 PM  Show Profile
Ohhhhhhhh this site looks like it could be fun!!!

http://www.candleonthehill.net/store/catalog.php?category=12

Kristina
Mama of 5
Seeker of a simpler life
www.clothcraze.com
Go to Top of Page

Lizabeth
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Washington
560 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2006 :  8:28:02 PM  Show Profile
Kristina, here is a working link to the simplicity pattern 4125:
http://www.simplicity.com/index.cfm?page=search.cfm&numMatch=2&design_id=13454&design=4125&thumbnail_image=4125t.jpg&ldesc=Misses%20Wrap%20Blouses&size_range=8%20to%2024

The candle on the hill site has some neat items!
Go to Top of Page

lcelmer
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Lana
Woodburn OR
37 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2006 :  09:21:49 AM  Show Profile
trina... YES! I would love the patterns... I tried to send you an email, but I guess you didnt get it.

Lana Celmer
389 W Hayes St.
Woodburn, OR 97071

Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2006 :  1:24:41 PM  Show Profile
Oh...I love to wear dresses and skirts too...mostly skirts because I am nursing my baby. I love the way a gauzy, flowy dress feels in the summer. These sites are great! I need to find or make some skirts for winter.
How do you stay warm in the winter...long johns?
Kate

http://theknifemakerswife.blogspot.com/2006/07/knifemakers-wife.html
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2006 :  2:16:41 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
Lana,
I will send the patterns out Monday. Hope you enjoy them!

Trina

'
Go to Top of Page

JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2006 :  1:52:28 PM  Show Profile
girls did u ever hear about those skirts? they call them serongs? i think that is how u spell it.? it is just one straight piece of material, and u wrap it around and tie it at the top (waiste) some even wear them tied around there arms, u know what i mean? i got a really cute one at a thrift shop. and it is too cute i have a few now, they are some handy i tell ya at a beach. although that weather won't be here for a while now, lol! it is getting chilly outside. think i will stick to some jeans, and stretchie pants underneath,when it really gets cold, till next summer, tee hee! i wear alot of splash pants, and under stretchies plus sweat pants, in winter when i walk everyday. later jo~

i thought love was all you needed? courage is needed too!
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2006 :  2:09:32 PM  Show Profile
I love skirts and dresses best, too. They cool the legs and cover the flaws and look feminine. I wear skirts a lot with knit tops that are cool and comfy. MY skirts are long and then I can wear sandals or boots. But finding these types of clothes are getting to be a harder and harder task!

Peace
Go to Top of Page

JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2006 :  03:54:46 AM  Show Profile
that is fer sure jp i especially can't wear a shirt when i am working in the house, but in the evening they are comfy, and kind of look nice, it is a chilly fall day here but nice out, and i have to be stuck in the basement! yukk!! trying to clean up hubby's mess he left me in here, he must be a pack rat tee hee! i am doing a bit better since he left with his new found love?? i wonder, but it is some hard to get things into perspective? have a good day love from jo!

Go to Top of Page

JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2006 :  4:19:10 PM  Show Profile
speaking of clothes is anyone familiar with the name brand joan's of new york? i got a sweater from the thrift store today, and i hear it is a good name of clothing? it is a really nice sweater! jo

Go to Top of Page

tziporra
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Robin
Seattle WA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2006 :  11:40:29 AM  Show Profile
Hi there!

I'm an Orthodox Jew, so I'm always in skirts or dresses for religious reasons. I try to avoid the black-knit-top-and-denim-skirt look that is the "uniform" for stay-at-home-moms in my community by sewing a lot of my own things. Right now I'm nursing, so I want to be wearing two pieces or something that buttons. I found a FANTASTIC shirtdress pattern from Vogue that I can hardly wait to make (it's all those buttonholes that intimidate me!) -- it's V8028. I know, Vogue is priced ridiculously, but this is a "Vogue Basic" so it's a little more reasonable, and less if you wait till the $3.99 Vogue pattern day.

When I do wear the skirt-and-knit-top combo, I like to keep a cardigan or soft blazer around to dress it up a little if I leave the house or have a guest. I make 6-gored skirts with no waistbands to wear around the house in washable fabrics with a soft texture (cotton velveteen is great for winter). These are nicer than a denim skirt, but wear just as well.

When I'm not nursing it's knit dresses all the way. They are SO comfortable and easy to care for. Plus, there are some great prints. I bought a nursing dress in a style I like, and I'm planning to copy it in some pretty knits I have around the house. The only problem I have with sewing knits is the hems and facings. I am never happy no matter what technique I use, and I haven't yet menanged to justify the cost of a cover-stitch machine for a professional finish!

Best,

Robin
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic shirtwaist dresses? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page