coaloha
True Blue Farmgirl

502 Posts

Pam

USA
502 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2013 :  6:09:12 PM  Show Profile  Send coaloha an AOL message
Hi Farmgirls,

A few of us who live "in town" have been talking, and we would like a place where we can talk about living the Farmgirl life in an urban setting. Being an Urban Farmgirl has it's unique joys and challenges and we can share and inspire each other.

So to start off, what is happening on your urban farm right now? I am in Arizona, and we've had a hot (!) summer that has taken it's toll on the plants. But the good news is that my herbs are going strong and I have had mint, basil, lavender, and rosemary. August is the time when we can plant "cool weather" crops and I have a raised bed to plant, if I can figure out how to keep our hungry cottontails out of the garden. It's also time to give our citrus tress one last fertilization for the winter. I have a healthy crop of oranges and lemons on the trees, enough for our family and some to share with winter visitors.

So Urban Farmgirls, what's going on in your neck of the woods (or desert, or beach, etc)?

Pam
Farmgirl #1075

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Gladstone Mi.
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2013 :  7:09:13 PM  Show Profile
Pam, I think this is a good place for this topic. I live in a town of approx. 11,000. We are renting a little house on a hill on a corner lot. We cannot have chickens or rabbits. I have a small vegetable garden, which this year I planted green beans, yellow beans, peas, tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, zucchini, cucumbers, green peppers, acorn squash. I also have pots of lavender, mint, basil, cilantro, chives, thyme, rosemary, parsley, sage, and a couple others that I cannot remember what it is. I need to get out and cut my herbs and dry them. We have a very short growing season here, usually from mid June until October. Too short to plant any melons. My sunflowers did very badly this year, right now they are only 6 inches high, so no sunflower seeds off of them this year. We have had 7 continuous months of below normal temperatures, and 8 continuous months of above normal precipitation. A bad year all around. Winter was very harsh last year. I am hoping we have a mild on this year. More tomorrow,

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6622 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6622 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2013 :  05:56:17 AM  Show Profile
Hi Urban Farmgirls! This is a great idea for me because I live in a suburb in Gainesville, Florida. Although we are allowed to keep 2 hens in the city, I have not done so yet, but I do have a tiny patch out front that gets enough sun for a tiny garden. Last year's garden was wonderful and my few spring plants thrived. But this summer? Every pest attacked plus it has been unusually wet since May so only the green beans thrived. Normally I can grow herbs well but not this year. Hopefully, this Fall will be drier and I can enjoy a few cool weather crops. We just had the wettest July ever recorded with over 16 inches of rain! I love to make jams, knit, simple sewing read, and cook. One of the precepts of Mary Jane's Farm that attracted me was that being a farmgirl was a matter of heart and not a matter of living on a farm.

I was privileged to have the opportunity to meet Mary Jane out in Idaho this past July 25 in her store at Coeur d' Alene. She is just so friendly, sweet, welcoming, and fascinating to talk to. She looks just like she does on the magazine. When you talk with her, you understand how open the definition of Farmgirl is. There are no hard and fast rules and everyone can connect with people who enjoy the same activities as themselves. I think that is how we all fit in and find a community that we connect with online.

So, what is this Florida Farmgirl doing at the moment? Well, I love to do swaps on the forum so I have been working on 3 swaps that are completing in August for mailout. So much fun! I am especially addicted to the dishcloth swaps. They are fun to do and I have met some really talented Farmgirls. Plus, with the hot and humid weather in Florida, this Farmgirl enjoys projects that can get done in the AC!! LOL!!!
Go to Top of Page

coccocolorado
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

C.
Poway CA
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2013 :  06:22:45 AM  Show Profile
Hi Pam,

Thank you for starting this thread!

I'm from Philadelphia originally, moved to Maine for ten years with the hope of becoming as self-sufficient as possible, but our best laid plans don't always come to fruition-especially when you have two daughters who have to come first. When my girls were both accepted to two different arts program, we wound up in Central Florida for four years-and now here I am in CO with just the one.

I took advantage of the low interest rates and bought a house that has a giant yard! Being new to gardening in this altitude/dry climate, I hired a master gardener to come out and walk the grounds with me-where can I plant/not plant-fruit trees or not, etc. She asked where my yard ended and when I told her fence to fence, she was amazed at the size! It's supposedly in the "bad part of town" but coming from Philly, what Denver considers bad is laughable. I am only one of two families on the block who speak American, but my neighbors have been very friendly with a wave and a smile, and a hand with shoveling in the winter.

Sadly, my first attempt at gardening this year only gave me a few tiny tomatoes. I tried two raised beds, but we have an abundance of rogue cats that made short work of tearing things up,ignoring the barriers I put in place. I want to have a chicken coop and bee hive, but worry about these cats messing with the chickens. I was too late to get my hive started this year, so I'm just learning as much as possible in the meantime.

I came to this site to learn all I can from ladies who have been there, done that and made the most of it! I love the swap-it's like pen-pals with presents and the recipes shared are a great addition to my collections.

Well, that's me in a nut-shell!

C

Farmgirl Sister #5348
City Girl
Country Heart
Go to Top of Page

blackfell_farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

Casey
Chandler AZ
USA
96 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2013 :  11:13:12 AM  Show Profile  Click to see blackfell_farmgirl's MSN Messenger address  Send blackfell_farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Hi Pam! This is a great place for this thread I think. I live in Chandler AZ. And I mean IN chandler AZ, but I am hoping to be able to start some raised beds this winter. I will definitely be asking what to put in them!! :) I have a brick fence so no wild life, which is probably a blessing for anything food related, but sucks cause that's all I have to look at. I work from home with a great company, so I have time for it, but August and Sept are going to be busy months. We fell behind on our budget, so I have to get in gear and really try to make some $$. :)

thanks for starting this thread! :)

blackfell_farmgirl

HorseCrazy!
Go to Top of Page

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2013 :  7:00:00 PM  Show Profile
This is a great idea. Although I have lived on country acreage in the past, I'm now on 1/4 acre in the city of Colorado Springs. We have chickens and dogs and a large garden. This summer, unlike the last few, has been very wet, with rain every few days. I've had a bumper crop of pickling cukes, lettuce, snow peas, onions, and now are just beginning to harvest tomatoes. I'm planning a second sowing of lettuce and spinach, along with the beets and carrots which are not ready yet. By mid-September we will have had a frost, maybe even a light snow. Oh, and 4 pumpkin vines are taking over the whole yard.

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page

2Chickens
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Addy
FL
12 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2013 :  06:34:56 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for starting this thread! I live in a small town in north FL near the beach. I live in a duplex under a ton of oak trees, so no hope of gardening in our tiny yard. We tried some containers last year in the sunniest patch, and they started off okay, but the squirrels and raccoons took care of any baby veggie that started to grow! This year, I have signed up for a plot in my church's community garden, and am excited to plant this fall. I would love to have chickens someday, although I don't think we can here (I live in unincorporated county). But you know, I've never checked! We don't really have the room anyway, and I imagine our HOA where we rent would be none too pleased. I'm vegan, and don't eat eggs, but my husband and stepson eat them all the time, and I'd love for them to have fresh eggs from happy chickens.

I have just started to learn to can - made my first jam a couple of weeks ago - and I'm going to a salsa class (canning, not dance!) at the extension office in a couple of weeks. I bought a sewing kit for children to see if I can learn some basics! My mom is an excellent seamstress, but I never had any interest growing up...

I like hearing about everyone's different urban experiences, and look forward to more :)
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2013 :  11:33:06 AM  Show Profile
Hi Pam!
This is indeed a great topic!
Not sure exactly that I qualify, as I live in "suburbia", not"the city".
We have a basic ranch style home 3bedrooms1 bath, but are blessed with about 3/4 acre. My backyard has a lot of shade, so I actually do my gardening in the FRONT yard. I have raised veggie beds, where I grow tomato, cucumber, peppers, sugar peas, lettuce, zucchini and herbs.
Tishas been an interesting gardening year. Our cucumbers have gone wild and I have harvested over 4 dozen cukes and have canned dill pickles etc. Oddly enough we hardly got any zucchini..go figure.
Tomato are just starting to turn red, and we are chomping at the bit waiting for them! LOL.
We have 2 rabbits, 8 hens, a dog, a cat, and my son has a huge aquarium (125 gallon tank!)
I contemplate ( or shall I say dream?) of getting milking goats some day, and a bee hive too. As much as I would love to live in the country, I don't see my husband ever be willing to leave our hometown, so I am growing where I am planted right now. I just got a great book out of the library yesterday, and it is called "Little House in the Suburbs"
By Deanna Caswell and Daisy Siskin. It is backyard farming and home skills for self sufficient living. I just started reading it, but it drew me right away, because it talks about taking small steps and doing as much or as little as you want towards your own happiness. It's not an all or nothing, gangbusters style book, but rather explains that it is OK to choose some or all of the ways/projects etc that they describe to fit YOUR lifestyle. I liked that about it. It doesn't make you feel guilty if you can't DO IT ALL.

On that note, like Winnie, I was fortunate enough to meet Mary Jane back in June while I visited with some other great farmgirls on a glamping trip. She is exactly as she is in her books and magazines. Such a warm, giving and sweet person. Not the least bit "high and mighty" but rather a wonderfully caring mentor. Someone you can relate to and feel at home with the minute you meet her! Purely awesome!!! I feel so blessed to have gotten the opportunity to sit and chat with her and Megan. I truly feel that I have her to thank for the lifestyle I now live.
Speaking of being lucky to meet other farmgirls, back in March I was fortunate enough to meet Pam "Coaloha" too! Ladies she is everything a true farmgirl is meant to be. Full,of smiles, and kindness, and a pleasure to be around!
Wishing you all the best of luck, in whatever degree of "farmgirl" you choose to be, and looking forward to following this thread and reading about your adventures and supporting one another!
Hugs,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

View my New Blog:
http://simplesuburbanpleasures.blogspot.com

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds that you plant.
~Robert Louis Stevenson

Edited by - laurentany on Aug 10 2013 11:35:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

coaloha
True Blue Farmgirl

502 Posts

Pam

USA
502 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2013 :  11:19:35 AM  Show Profile  Send coaloha an AOL message
Hi All,

I feel so honored to read about what each person is doing in her own environment to live a Farmgirl life and "Bloom where you are planted". Laurie, I think that you are on to something when you talk about taking small steps toward reaching your goals with you suburban/urban home and property. Each of us has been dreaming and thinking and doing exactly that. Maybe we can share more of the "small steps" that we've taken. I took a step recently; where I live we are not permitted to put up a clothes line, yet I love the scent of freshly dried clothes and I would like to cut down on dryer usage. I have recently found a way to tuck in a drying rack in a "hidden" spot outside and I have found that I can dry large things (linens) of the pool fence. Here in AZ it is so hot and dry that things dry very, very quickly. It's not like the big 'ole clothes line that we had when I was growing up on the farm, but I am finding that this works for my needs now and I am happy with the results. I am thinking of more and more things that I can pull out of the dryer and air dry. I recently bought cloth napkins (trying to cut down on the amount of paper I am using) and I am going to try putting them on the drying rack.

Any other ideas for solving Urban Farmgirl problems that you've encountered?

Laurie, thank you for your kind words. It was such a pleasure to meet you and share our beautiful tea together; I can't wait for our next face-to-face event. One of the great joys of being a Farmgirl has been the opportunity to meet other Farmgirls....this has been a source of joy in my life.

Warmly,
Pam

Pam
Farmgirl #1075
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2013 :  3:12:48 PM  Show Profile
Hi Pam!
I'm chuckling about your "secret" clothes line" LO. You GO GIRL!
I often used to find myself trying to achieve too much- or shall I say, conquer more than I could handle. I would have a task in mind, and then not start it because I thought "well, heck, I don't have enough time to get that done tonight". I have recently tried to change my mindset and realize that even if I can go out and weed for 1/2 hour or so I WILL get something accomplished, and over a few days, I WILL complete the task!
I am trying to slowly teach myself that things don't have to be all or nothing. I can adapt and find a happy compromise that works for me NOW, and perhaps down the road a bit, I can reach my ultimate goal.
As farmgirls, we all have BIG dreams, and I have learned that if I go slowly I can eventually accomplish my dreams!

Wishing all of you the best of luck with whatever it is you are working towards. I would love to continue to read about your lifestyles and ideas!
Hugs,

~Laurie
Farmgirl Sister#1403

View my New Blog:

~Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2013 :  3:49:05 PM  Show Profile
Hi, Pam. I live in Rochester, NY, a city of about 200,000 people. House lots are small here and there are many well-established old trees. Beautiful in themselves, but they do make a big garden something of a challenge. Four years ago, we cut down a huge ash tree and finally got a small area of direct sunlight in the fenced back yard (front yard is very sunny, but veggies in the front yard just isn't how it's done--plus they would be at the mercy of every person and every dog passing by on the sidewalk). I've got a few small raised beds in the backyard, but I've realized that I'm just not going to be able to grow a large crop of anything. So I'm trying to focus on getting the most "bang" for my effort: what grows well for me? What produces a fairly large amount of edibles in a small space? What would cost a ton in the grocery store for just a small amount? With those questions in mind, berries and herbs are what I'm trying to stick to in my garden. Although, I have to say, pole beans have always been a big winner here. I've got three bean "teepees" this year, and I'm wishing I had squeezed in a few more.
Go to Top of Page

coaloha
True Blue Farmgirl

502 Posts

Pam

USA
502 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2013 :  10:21:34 PM  Show Profile  Send coaloha an AOL message
Hi Amie,

I agree that herbs produce a lot of bang for the buck...they grow well in small spaces and I think that they are expensive to by fresh at the grocery store. What herbs have you had success with? Here in Phoenix I've grown potted herbs on my patio during the hot hot hot summer months. This year I did well with basil, 2 kinds of lavender, green onions, and rosemary. I enjoy having a fragrant patio : ) and it's so easy to have herbs just outside the back door to mix into a meal.

Do you dry any of your herbs for later use? I haven't tried that yet but have been giving it thought.

Warmly,
Pam

Pam
Farmgirl #1075
Go to Top of Page

2Chickens
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Addy
FL
12 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2013 :  1:45:25 PM  Show Profile
Pam, I am trying to dry some herbs for the first time! The community garden plot I took over recently has some chives, thyme, and mint still left. I cut back a ton of thyme, and am drying many bunches. I'm trying one bunch of chives. So far, so good. Being in Florida with the humidity, outside wasn't an option, and our house is very small. I got creative and made a drying line from fishing line and binder clips! I'm using our spare bathroom which is rarely used when my stepson is away, and because it's cool in the AC and windowless. As close to a pantry or cellar as I'll get! I wish I could have harvested some mint, but I discovered the mint plant was doing double duty as a fire ant kingdom...my first gardening dilemma. Your herb patio sounds lovely, I bet you could get some great dried herbs from your harvest!

I was curious if anyone here relies on their extension service? Even though we are in an urban area, we have a great extension office. I learned recently it has a canning center. I went this morning for a class on making salsa. It was a lot of fun, clarified some questions I had, and reminded me what a good resource extension can be, especially for newbies like me. I was just wondering if anyone here has also done anything fun or new through your extension office.

Happy weekend!
Addy B

Today

Go to Top of Page

coaloha
True Blue Farmgirl

502 Posts

Pam

USA
502 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2013 :  8:10:48 PM  Show Profile  Send coaloha an AOL message
Addy,

Good reminder about the extension service! Because they are tied to the state university systems, the information that they provide is specific to their local area and that makes them a great resource. I have heard about canning classes at other extension offices. What are you planning to can now that you've taken the class? Your salsa sounds yummy.

I admire your determination to overcome the problems of Florida humidity when drying herbs. Things dry so fast here in Phoenix, seemingly overnight. I like to dry flowers for use in the house and they dry so fast. I bought a used decorative "southwestern" ladder and die bunches of flowers onto the ladder to dry. Herbs would work on this too, and I would like to try this.

Pam
Farmgirl #1075
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2013 :  04:44:21 AM  Show Profile
I just found this thread! Thank you for starting it!
Due to a change in health circumstances, I left a rural home (just couldn't keep it up any longer),
and moved into a suburban/city apt, in another state!

It's been a few years now and still adjusting? The apt has a balcony that has a courtyard grounds view and it's relaxing. I do container gardening (mostly herbs). Usually with fair success, tho this year the excessive rains just flooded me out. Gave up. Am trying some cool weather planting this week tho so we will see :)
Due to physical limitations, I'm able to manage small containers of herbs and I'm thankful.
I'm finding that without the physical demands and stresses of my prior home? I'm able to take better care of myself and do some 'farmgirl' things I am able to do that for years just didn't.

I enjoy knitting smaller projects, getting back into sewing. Trying to do more and more from scratch cooking and baking.

I am also learning to get away from all or nothing mentality and be thankful at accomplishing 'baby steps'.
It's a journey!
I'm learning and accepting that our farmgirl hearts are just that sometimes. An attitude of the heart. That spirit to keep trying and enjoying where God has us planted, so to speak :)

I go to our farmers mkts here as I'm able. Find great prices on produce, fresh eggs etc.
One year I canned a couple jars of refrigerator pickles. Really enjoyed that!!

I am learning to be thankful for where I am and my suburban setting now. For maintenance guys who are kind and fix whatever may break, and pole and salt the sidewalks in the winter mornings . For gardners who keep the lawns and plants trimmed during the warm months.

I've learned to accept that I'm no longer able to have that huge acerage etc. But I am grateful for what I now am able to do and have access to here.

Would love to know if anyone is planting some cool weather crops?? What works well in containers? Love any advice/thoughts!
Since I lost my first batch herbs, I may still try some?

Farmgirl blessings,
Linda

http://grannysbirds.blogspot.com/

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2013 :  6:27:55 PM  Show Profile
Hi Linda!
I totally agree with you and the grow where you're planted mentality, as well as the baby steps mentality and being able to slowly learn that it's OK not to finish everything in one day etc. what doesn't get done today, might get done tomorrow. I too have been trying to do that. I usually put pressure on myself to finish things, and if I can't, the I just don't start them at all. Lately I have been trying to work a little ate a time towards my goal ( whatever that may be at the moment) such as clearing out garden beds etc.
as for cool weather crops, yes I just planted lettuce, sugar peas, carrots, spinach and beets. I think that you could probably try lettuce and spinach in containers and have great success!
For the first time this year I am also turning one of my raised garden beds into a hoop house, to try and extend the growing season. We shall see! It's a learn as you go adventure, and I have decided to embrace the ride!
Good luck with your fall plantings!

~Laurie
Farmgirl Sister#1403

View my New Blog:

~Robert Louis Stevenson

Edited by - laurentany on Aug 26 2013 6:28:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

littlepurpleflower
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

21 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2013 :  12:27:21 PM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone!

This thread is wonderful! I am enjoying reading about everyone's Urban Farmgirl adventures! I live in a small city in Northern MI. Our soil is very sandy, so I have been researching doing a back to eden garden in our side yard maybe next summer. So for now I am taking advantage of all the wonderful produce at our local farmers market! I am so thankful for all our wonderful local farmers!!
Pam, I love your clothesline story! My husband rigged up a clothesline on my back deck for me that I can retract if I need to. I long to live in the country or on a hill over looking Lake Michigan, but I am happy where God has my family and I planted right now. I am learning how to can and have set a goal to can enough applesauce to get through the winter. I am learning how to hand sew and hope to master the sewing machine soon. I love to make my own cleaning products and try to be as green as possible. I look forward to hearing more about everyone's farming adventures! Thank you all for the wonderful ideas!

Michelle
Sister #4962

a flower to bring a smile! :)
Go to Top of Page

ModernishHomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

58 Posts

Amy
Colorado
USA
58 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2013 :  10:47:38 PM  Show Profile
I'm not urban any more (though I was living in Denver when I first joined this forum and first started blogging about my homemaking adventures) - but I do live in a small rental house in small town. Since it's a small rental space I face many of the same challenges that urban homesteaders face. I actually recently started writing a book about homesteading for apartment dwellers and other small space renters. I hope to publish it as an e-book within the next few months. (I'm looking for people who might be willing to be chapter editors and draft readers - if any of you have an English background and would be interested).

***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***
I'm just a 20-something girl making a home for me (and my dog) and waiting for the family to fill it!

---

modernishhomemaker.blogspot.com
---
outdooramy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2013 :  5:37:28 PM  Show Profile
Pam, I have basil, lavendar, lemon balm, chives, and mint this summer. A little bit of parsley and dill that reseeds itself. I did have pineapple sage, which is supposed to be an annual in this zone but came back three years in a row. This year I guess it just gave up the ghost. I miss it's tall red flowers, this is the time of year it would be blooming.

I have not done nearly as much as I could with drying. I try occasionally, but it seems like the plants develop black spots on the leaves during the drying process. Not sure what that could be?

Lavender is the surprising success story of my garden. It thrives in my heavy clay soil, and it dries well too. I like to stick a few sprigs in a jar of sugar to make lavender sugar.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2013 :  12:54:36 PM  Show Profile
I also live in a town. We have three small gardens in our back yard area. Each year we grow broccoli, peppers, tomatoes, onions, basil and snap peas. Something is usually in the ground all year, as I live in Florida. My hubby enjoys flowers, and he plants those around the beds to draw the bees and butterflies. Thank goodness our backyard faces into a woods, so I am not looking at another house all the time. This year we have had torrential and daily rains, so my garden for the summer actually suffered from too much water. I am looking forward a month or so when I can plant my broccoli.

I long to go outside and not hear city noise. But I guess that will never happen. However, I try to make my life simple and as farmgirly as possible! I quilt, and I love to cook. I make my home inside as much like a farmhouse as possible. At least my version of farmhouse!

Farmgirl #31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

coaloha
True Blue Farmgirl

502 Posts

Pam

USA
502 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2013 :  8:09:47 PM  Show Profile  Send coaloha an AOL message
Hi All!

I am so inspired as I read what each of you is doing in your urban environment to "Bloom where you are planted" and to make your life and home warm and welcoming in Farmgirl Style. Linda, I am happy to hear that you have your container garden on your balcony. You will have to let us know how your cool weather planting does.

It sounds like several of us are putting in a cool weather garden this fall. I haven't planted yet, but I am hoping to get some carrot, radish, spinach, and lettuce seed in. Even though Phoenix has it's own distinct gardening seasons, the fall season in the garden is similar to gardening in other parts of the country. I'm still wresting with how to keep the rabbits out of the vegetable garden; they are welcome everywhere but there!

Jeannie, you said that you have made your home your own version of a farmhouse. I would love to hear more about that! What about everyone else? I have done the same thing. My house is built in the Southwestern style and has a big, deep shelf all around the kitchen. That is where I keep my "flock", my collection of decorative hens and roosters. I also have a few decorative cows, pigs, and sheep up there, with a metal barn cat who keeps things in order. I have my grandma's old egg basket and some blown out eggs from the hens we kept when we lived in Colorado. Several other things have made it into my "Farm on the Shelf" and this little collection makes me happy.

And speaking of home, the calendar says it's fall and my thoughts turn to the holidays. Do any of you have Urban Farmgirl projects in mind for the holidays? I always bake up fresh pumpkins and mix the cooked pumpkin into my whole-wheat cranberry-pumpkin bread. The fresh pumpkin makes the bread very moist and this has become a traditional bread/gift from my kitchen for many years. I noticed that pumpkins have appeared in the grocery store so it's time to think about starting the process soon.

Looking forward to hearing more about what's going on with our other Urban Farmgirls. Keep that Farmgirl spirit in your heart!

Pam
Farmgirl #1075
Go to Top of Page

GirlwithHook
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Alyce
Madison WI
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2013 :  08:42:43 AM  Show Profile
This topic was just what I needed today! I'm so inspired now!

Hubby and I no longer live in the heart of the city, but we are still renting our townhouse so have to be careful. We have a balcony and windows that get lots of sun, so I am hoping to start a container garden soon (still catching up a bit from the move).

I cook most of our meals from scratch and will be doing more baking now that the weather has cooled down (might do some tonight, in fact). I hand-sewed throw pillows for the couch and am crocheting a Venetian lace table runner for our new table; I plan to make a matching runner for our electric fireplace.

The "secret" clothesline is brilliant! We are allowed to put drying racks on our balcony, so I know what's going on my wish list!

Ric and I have also discovered that we really enjoy building/assembling/repairing things together. We have this massive dresser his mom gave us, but it was damaged in the move. So, we emptied it, took out all the drawers, flipped it over, and rebuilt the broken feet! It was a lot of fun, and now it's even sturdier than before. Who knows, maybe he is finding his inner farmboy...?

A hook, a book, and a good cup of coffee....
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Urban Farmgirl Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page