Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic hyper Next Topic  

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2013 :  10:52:26 AM  Show Profile
Wow, we were just at story time for tots (18 months to 3 yr). There are some sibling in there ranging from 4 to 8. My son has played with some of them out of story time, but today one 6 year old was spun out of control (just hyper really) but it was small room with lots of people. My son(22 months) engages with him because he likes the bigger kids and they don't pay attention to what is going on in the room just each other to the point the older kid is almost in my sons face though he does not seem to mind. I'm trying not to direct their attention but I couldn't wait to get out of there. I was spun up and had to say nothing for fear of shouting at this kid. At one point his mom grabbed his arm and made him stop running after about the 10th lap around the room, but by then my nerves were raw. It scares me to death that that could be in my future. Compared to a 7 year old that just helped out his little sister and was very polite.

Just feeling worn out.

Laurie

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2013 :  12:59:59 PM  Show Profile
The older boy sounds like he may have ADHD. If that is the case, then he can't stop himself from doing these things. Hopefully this boy's mother will stop bringing him along or take him out of the room when he gets so wound up. Otherwise, you may need to find another story time group for your son and your peace of mind.

Good luck on having a more enjoyable time on your next outing.
Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2013 :  2:16:54 PM  Show Profile
He's a good kid and I know that, and he is only here for the summer, but it was one of those days, where I just couldn't cope.

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2013 :  5:04:45 PM  Show Profile
I'm wondering what that child's diet consists of... We have a nephew who LIVES on fast and junk foods. Whenever he visits, the first couple of days he is hyper beyond belief... After a few days of wholesome, yummy food, he goes home like an entirely different kid (and I load him down with grocery bags of good things to take home for his family). And you know, food allergies will do the same. Dawn's right - it could be ADHD, but I'm willing to bet it has to do with what his parents are putting on his plate. Also, let's face it, parenting styles differ... maybe this is just a parent who lets him blow off steam. Who knows? In any event, please don't worry - I'm sure it won't happen to you, Laurie. But if it does, rest assured, we're all here to help you through! ;) Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2013 :  7:23:51 PM  Show Profile
There could be a million reasons why the child was wound up.... And honestly, there will be days, more than likely, that yours will be as well. For me, those are the best days to either a) be a real stickler for routine or b) throw routine out the window and go run outside to burn off some of the excess energy. Honestly, it just depends on the reason why the child(ren) is/are hyper. Recently, my children have been wound up.... there are two reasons for it that I know with relative certainty. a) we are cooped up in the house due to it raining, being super hot/humid, and the mosquitoes trying to carry us away and b) we are not on our normal routine due to a newborn. My solution: we start school back up next week :) My opinion/advice is she you have days where your child is hyper, try to figure out the why (needs to run outside, needs a nap, too much sugar, no structure/routine, etc) and then tackle it from there.

As for dealing with other people's hyper children.... errrrrrr if anyone has suggestions on that one, I could use some help.... I've had a couple friends come over to visit the newest baby, with their children, and as lovely as it is to see them and visit, their children tear my house apart in a matter of minutes! How do you tell someone else's children the rules of your house, when their parents are there... I don't want to parent their children, but I also don't want my house torn apart. For example, my daughter's door now has holes in it and my son's toddler bed is broken :(
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2013 :  3:10:29 PM  Show Profile
Oh gesh Shannon. That's horrible. I did make a few comments to him when he was right in front of us with my son and he was fine. Like I said, I know he is a good kid and I was just having a day. Sometimes you need to tell someone to get it out of your system.

As for other kids in your home, I have no qualms telling them my rules. It is your house. Maybe let your friends know your house rules and that because you are trying to teach your kids it would be great if their kids could help out and follow them too.

Laurie

Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2013 :  12:38:48 AM  Show Profile
OP, well, comments like that are why I hardly took my children in public for a good seven to eight years if I could help it, and why I haven't been to church in almost a year. My oldest is a busy, spirited, active child. It's taken more than a few years for him to somewhat calm down and use that energy for good and not evil. It's still a struggle for him sometimes, as evidenced by my Costco run with just me and all four kids tonight. My 3yo is still in super-busy toddlerhood, hence us avoiding the stares of doom at church since his volume button is still broken. Some kids are just super busy, and it can be difficult (especially if you have more than one to chase! that's why mine tend to be all dressed in orange or lime green at playground so I can do my head counts).

quote:
Originally posted by Montrose Girl
As for other kids in your home, I have no qualms telling them my rules. It is your house. Maybe let your friends know your house rules and that because you are trying to teach your kids it would be great if their kids could help out and follow them too.

Yup, we have rules in my house. I have no qualms about telling kids (mine and others) what's what in my house, and 99% of the time, the other parent is totally cool with it. I have a few friends where we just step in as mom for each other's kids if we see something that needs correcting. Some rooms are off limits, and it's pretty much mandatory that they *all* clean up the mess made from playdates.

So far it's worked out well... so much so that we've become the neighborhood hub yard and there's constantly kids out there playing with mine. We've even had them help out with chores - a neighbor boy helped my older boys unload pavers from our truck, the other day a few different neighbor boys helped mine detail the inside of my van. Mwahaha. Seems they all like responsibility and praise for a job well done.

Lanna, homeschooling mama to four little monkeys that still try to jump on the bed
Go to Top of Page

AFinkberry
True Blue Farmgirl

310 Posts

Ally
Kalama Washington
310 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2013 :  10:58:46 PM  Show Profile
There were many days when I just had to let my oldest just run. I'd take him to the high school track and we'd just run for what felt like hours. We'd spend hours everyday at the park and even then, he was still wound up. I have two boys, and my eldest was noticeably more hyper than my tot at the same age. I've learned that letting kids run around outside as much as possible is the best remedy for many situations where good behavior is expected. But then, there were many times where we just didn't go to those functions... What's that old adage..."Live and Learn." I've been on both sides of this situation. I've been the mom with the crazy kid, but I'm also the mom with the quite one. It's interesting learning how to balance the two parenting styles. I'm still working on it! What a blessing to have a place to vent all of our feelings!!!

Ally

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness." ~His Holiness the Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2013 :  6:01:26 PM  Show Profile
I know a lot of it was just me that day. We moms have them overwhelming moments too and it was a crowded small room. There is another young boy (2 1/2) that is just as hyper, and his mom told us we didn't make her feel bad when they came (unlike another story time she goes to). So I just try to take those moments when I know it is me and step back. My turn may be coming!

You never know what another faces until you walk in their shoes.

Laurie

Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic hyper Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page