Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Linda
PA
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2013 :  09:02:24 AM  Show Profile
Hi Farmgirls!
I just set up a new gardening system to begin using for a few fall crops, and then will intensively use next Spring as my garden. I am using Rubbermaid 100 gallon stock tanks, filled with 6" of gravel on the bottom and mushroom compost as my soil. The plugs at the bottom of the tanks I have removed for drainage. My daughter uses galvanized tanks and they are wonderful for vegetable gardens, I was just concerned about the bottoms rusting out.
Does anyone else use galvanized or rubber tanks as their garden beds? I would love to hear any input from 'veteran' container gardeners!

Farmgirl Sister #3291
http://hoovershomesteadhappenings.blogspot.com
"Leap and the net will appear."

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2013 :  11:47:15 AM  Show Profile
Hi Linda...I live in a Apartment Complex in the city. Moved in from the Country about two years ago.

I use huge plastic flower pots for my garden. I have just enough space under my kitchen window outside
for 3 of the large pots. I planted two tomato plants in two of the pots. One pot has heirlooms and one
has early girls and then one pot I put in two stripped zucchini. I have gotten about 6 zucchini so far
and just brought in my first ripe early girl tomato this morning. I used the large pots...so I didn't have
to bend over to garden. I have Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue...and so I have learned to do everything
the easiest way possible. LOL

Hope you have great success with your gardening tubs.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

"Believe in yourself and let the glitter fly!" P.Smith Mail Art Hostess
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2013 :  8:48:17 PM  Show Profile
I use large containers for my Tomatoes. This year besides the Tomatoes I planted Bush Zucchini and Acorn squash. Bush Zukes are great in containers. the Squash is starting to travel. We will see what happens. One year I grew carrots in containers and they were great. MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

SandraM
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Sandra
Coldwater Michigan
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2013 :  10:39:27 AM  Show Profile
I have seen a garden that uses the galvanized tanks. She has used them because the bottoms had holes in them. Recycling.
She has a nice looking garden!

Sandra
www.mittenstatesheepandwool.com
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2013 :  08:50:10 AM  Show Profile
We tried galvanized tanks for planters but it seemed like the planters got too hot in our summer sun and I could not get anything to do well in them. They might do better for shady plants or cooler growing zones. We have other raised garden beds that are built right into the ground and they have done much better. Just be prepared to do a lot of watering with your trough style planters.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.

"Look deep into Nature, and then you will understand everything better."--Albert Einstein
"A meal of bread, cheese and beer constitutes the perfect food." --Queen Elizabeth I
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Container gardening, anyone?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page