quiltingfarmergirl
True Blue Farmgirl

180 Posts

Barbara
Cato NY
USA
180 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2013 :  12:38:23 PM  Show Profile
I have 2 varieties of tomato plants this year that have started turning brown and dying off in the middle of the plants. The plants have been looking great and loaded with green tomatoes. We have had a lot of very hot weather this summer and lots of rain also. I have never had this happen before. Think it is weather related? I do not see any bugs on them. So far it is the center of the plants. The outer portions still look ok.

Barb

at

Breezy Acres Farm

atkinst2
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Theresa
Canal Winchester OH
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2013 :  1:37:32 PM  Show Profile
I'm in Ohio and have had lots of rain and hot weather and my tomatoes are doing the same thing. I think it's just been too wet!

The road to success is not straight. There is a curb called Failure, a loop called Confusion; speed bumps called Friends; red lights called Enemies;caution lights called Family. You will have flats called jobs. But, if you have a spare called Determination; an engine called Perseverance; insurance called Faith, and a driver called Jesus, you will make it to a place called Success!!
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2013 :  3:17:13 PM  Show Profile
try putting up shade cloth over your plants, and only water from underneath, which I know can be tuff with lots of rain, but if you can put up a tarp when it does rain to direct the rain away and keep your plants dry, along with letting the ground dry up some...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Tomato Plants Turning Brown Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page