Dirtduchess
True Blue Farmgirl

693 Posts

Patsy
Decatur TX
USA
693 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2013 :  10:20:42 AM  Show Profile
Four couples for ten years go to Ruidoso, NM for a week of fun. We rent a van and all climb in for the trip. Travel time is about eleven hours because of all the bath room stops, fuel and snack purchases, breakfast and an afternoon brunch. We laugh, sing, read, nap, yak, and some play Farkle on a metal TV tray.
Two weeks before we were suppose to leave a dead pine tree fell over and knocked out the electrical pole and the TV cable cord. The problem could not be fully corrected until after our time to be there.
We either had to go at the appointed time or skip our beloved trip this year because of conflicting schedules of all of us.
So off we went. Even without electricity we felt we could do this trip.
We would have propane for hot showers. We always eat most of our meal at local eateries.There were streetlights in front and back of our place.
One of the couples going has a vacation trailer house in Ruidoso. Very spacious. Three bedrooms, two baths, and a sofa that makes into a bed.
We took battery powered Coleman lanterns to use for putting on make up and shaving.
Battery powered fans were put in open windows at night. We even had solar powered light bulbs to place in the bathroom at night. A large ice chest was filled with ice and drinks and placed on the back deck.
A very nice neighbor allowed us at no charge to run an electrical cord from his porch to inside the trailer. We had Keurig coffee in the morning. Some watched TV at night while others play Chickenfoot by the light of a lantern. We charged our IPads, IPhones and razors on the power strip.
The back deck was our abode most late evenings. We feed hummingbirds and the deer that wandered by. All variety of birds flew around with their noisy conversations. Two nights we dined on the deck on take out pizza. We listened to music on our IPhones. One man took his guitar and we sang.
The gals did a lot of shopping in the daytime. Guys stayed at the trailer and told uninteresting stories. We all made side trips to different destinations. We went to the hose races. Two of the gals went each evening to gambling. One left Ruidoso $1,260.00 richer.
Our trip was so much fun.We did not have wi-fi. Most of the time we could not get internet or make phone calls. So, I was wondering if this could be considered GLAMPING?

Patsy
Farmgirl 4678

Leave room in your garden for the fairies to dance.

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2013 :  11:06:07 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like you had a great time in the outdoors and really that is a part of the heart of glamping...

It all comes back to the ground!

Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2013 :  2:53:12 PM  Show Profile
i would agree that you had fun and made the best but glamping / no.....just my thoughts!

Farmgirl # 2139
proud member of the Farmgirls of the Southwest Henhouse
~*~ counting my pennies; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

Dirtduchess
True Blue Farmgirl

693 Posts

Patsy
Decatur TX
USA
693 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2013 :  11:57:04 AM  Show Profile
Margo,
I am in agreement with you. I have never been Glamping. Until I was 21 years old I went with my family every year on vacation. Dad was an avid fisherman. Every vacation we ever took was at a lake, river or the Gulf of Mexico. The only things we took for comfort were our pillows, blankets, ice chest full of food and drinks, Coleman cook stove and lantern, and toilet paper. Dad, my brother and me slept on the ground. Dad would take the back seat out of the car for Mom and baby Sis to sleep on. We bathed in the river or lake. Once in a while when Mom had had enough Dad would take us to a motel for the night. Ew! Soft beds and warm showers. Such memories.

Patsy
Farmgirl 4678

Leave room in your garden for the fairies to dance.
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Is This Glamping? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page