hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2013 :  6:27:14 PM  Show Profile
My hubby and I dream of retiring from the AF in a little over 3 years and settling in Wyoming on about 10 acres of land. I'm dreaming of chickens, icelandic sheep, bees, perhaps a dairy cow or two, a garden and orchard. Realistic for that area? I dunno... and honestly I'm not even sure where to start doing all my research of what can be grown. Right now we are stationed in SC - where all year is basically our growing season. I think it will be "weird" going to such a short growing season, but hopefully doable. Would LOVE some feedback on Wyoming and the pros and cons!!!

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2013 :  7:02:32 PM  Show Profile
WINDY!!!!! I lived in Gillette WY for 3 plus years the wind never stopped. Drove me nuts. Garden was ok but we had fields all around us and we had more bugs than I could handle with natural methods so Chemicals were all we could do. .

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

1509 Posts

Alicia
Charlestown, IN
1509 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2013 :  07:19:21 AM  Show Profile  Send DandeeRose a Yahoo! Message
How goes the search sweetie??? We hadn't chatted about it in a while.

Many Blessings- Alicia #5232
http://dandeelionrose.blogspot.com/

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2013 :  7:05:27 PM  Show Profile
REALLY WELL! Looking forward to being there within the next three years! You should move with us :)
Go to Top of Page

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

1509 Posts

Alicia
Charlestown, IN
1509 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2013 :  05:48:37 AM  Show Profile  Send DandeeRose a Yahoo! Message
IDK, we WOULD be better in pairs. ;) Matt really like ID, though...

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2013 :  05:54:55 AM  Show Profile
I absolutely adore Wyoming. No income tax....low property tax......and no sales tax on food! My area is great for ranching, but not great for farming or gardening. It is too cold here. I would consider the Thermopolis or Worland areas. Also the Riverton area is good for gardening. I haven't seen many orchards in Wyoming, but it could be feasible with some hardy varieties. The people in Wyoming are unique and very friendly. We are the least populated state per square mile in the USA. Therefore, we need each other and treat each other well. Expect to have to drive awhile to get from one town to the next. It takes a while to get used to. Healthcare is good here, but you might expect to travel to Billings, Salt Lake City, or Denver for major medical. The educational system is excellent and well funded. In 2014, we will start having the lotto, so all half the proceeds will go to schools, while the other half will be given to municipalities. Politics are mostly Republican and very conservative. Major industries are oil and gas, mineral extraction, agriculture and tourism.

I hope this will help you with your decisions. If you have any questions, please let me know. I love to talk about the Equality State.

PS. Take a look at my blog for pictures from around Wyoming.

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #1682

Thirty-One Independent Consultant

www.mythirtyone.com/sherone

My Blog

www.annapearlsattic.blogspot.com

My Etsy

www.etsy.com/shop/annapearlsattic

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!

Edited by - sherone_13 on Dec 05 2013 06:02:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2013 :  07:01:25 AM  Show Profile
We are looking at the Sundance area.... My brother lives in Spearfish, SD. I love the idea of being able to go across the border to get raw milk, and love the laws of WY - specifically the homeschooling and gun carrying laws. We visited the area in September and absolutely fell in love with it! The area we are looking in, looks pretty good for gardens and orchards, so we are hopeful! Moving from SC will be a pretty big change, but one well worth it! I am sure I will be contacting you Sherone for more info as soon as we figure out when hubby will be retiring from the military!!!
Go to Top of Page

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

1509 Posts

Alicia
Charlestown, IN
1509 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2013 :  07:04:44 AM  Show Profile  Send DandeeRose a Yahoo! Message
Gotta love a Republican, conservative, homeschool safe, pro gun state!!!! :D

Go to Top of Page

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

1509 Posts

Alicia
Charlestown, IN
1509 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2013 :  07:06:07 AM  Show Profile  Send DandeeRose a Yahoo! Message
P.S. I shall look into it some more Shannon, my friend!! ;)

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2013 :  07:11:14 AM  Show Profile
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA - my thought exactly Alicia :) And yes, please look into it more :) Would love to "know" someone when we move and we could join forces in our dreams :)
Go to Top of Page

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

1509 Posts

Alicia
Charlestown, IN
1509 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2013 :  07:11:37 AM  Show Profile  Send DandeeRose a Yahoo! Message
Can I hijack???

Shannon, or people who live in that area....

It looks bare in most pictures I am seeing. Mostly prairie. What is there to hunt? And is there much public land to hunt on?

Go to Top of Page

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

1509 Posts

Alicia
Charlestown, IN
1509 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2013 :  07:25:08 AM  Show Profile  Send DandeeRose a Yahoo! Message
What I like so far is it is still a good way away from W WY, where, beautiful as can be, hosts the danger of sleeping volcanoes. Also quite a way North of Cheyenne area. Those are the 2 biggest dangers in my book. Strategic Relocation says this: Wy runs up against the fabled Black Hills on the east border near the towns of Sundance, Four Corners, and Newcastle. Water is not plentiful, but improves closer to the hill country where excellent retreat sites can be found. The area will never be heavily populated.

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2013 :  08:22:45 AM  Show Profile
There are a lot of prairie areas - which is where antelope live. on the property we live, there is elk, antelope, deer, boar, turkeys, and small animals like squirrels, rabbits, etc.
Go to Top of Page

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

1509 Posts

Alicia
Charlestown, IN
1509 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2013 :  12:16:31 PM  Show Profile  Send DandeeRose a Yahoo! Message
Where you looked you mean? Did you see many animals? That will be a biggie for Matt (and Isabelle)!

Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2013 :  1:25:59 PM  Show Profile
I know that there is White Tail Deer and Antelope in that area. There is also alot of Quail and Pheasant. Best elk hunting would be in the Big Horns north west of that area. Unfortunately, that area is the only part of Wyoming I have not visited. My daughter lived in Torrington for awhile. The gardening is very good there....they can grow corn and sugar beets. Again, didn't see orchards, but hey, you can give it a try. I do know they are growing grapes in Cheyenne, so you should be able to in Sundance.

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #1682

Thirty-One Independent Consultant

www.mythirtyone.com/sherone

My Blog

www.annapearlsattic.blogspot.com

My Etsy

www.etsy.com/shop/annapearlsattic

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2013 :  2:15:59 PM  Show Profile
eek - yes, where we looked.... i wish i could say where we live :) we saw deer, antelope, and turkeys
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2013 :  6:29:27 PM  Show Profile
Shannon,
have you used ' citi-data.com to research different places? it is not 100% perfect, but it does halp...
also, check out web-cams... you can type in "web-cams in Wyoming... and if there are any (usually in large cities) you can peek in on a daily basis...also most State DOT's have web-cams...
Have fun searching and dreaming.

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2013 :  6:33:35 PM  Show Profile
here is a web-cam pic from 7:30pm today...

yep...snow... in WY....

>^..^<

Edited by - katmom on Dec 14 2013 6:34:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2013 :  06:05:54 AM  Show Profile
I didn't know you could do that!!! Thank you so much! How FABULOUS!!!
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2013 :  11:09:55 PM  Show Profile
yepadoodle... and you can do this with some of the larger cities in Europe too! in case you ever get board and want to see what the side of the world looks like... lol!

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Wyoming in our future? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page