Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Help! Need ideas for a present
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Help! Need ideas for a present Next Topic  

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2013 :  06:24:17 AM  Show Profile
Hi Girls,

Need help fast! My dad is celebrating his 74th birthday this week and I need to get something down there to him. Last year I gave him a cookbook. He has every tool, every magazine, and is a retired salesman for gift goods, meaning he has every collectible and shelf sitter you can imagine. Used to send gift cards to go out to eat but he is on a special diet now. In the past, I made special photo albums, knitted items, and I've made homemade cookies and sent jam, so that won't work. Need something different. Any ideas?

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13621 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13621 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2013 :  09:55:47 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
A handmade album of photos of your family, home, etc. . . . in a design he would like and of pics he doesn't have?

CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2013 :  10:19:53 AM  Show Profile
If not a homemade album, then perhaps a dvd of family photos with music. We did that for my mother-in-law and she plays it every time she has company.

Best of luck on trying to figure out what to get your father. Happy Birthday wishes to him too!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2013 :  3:33:52 PM  Show Profile
How about tickets to see his favorite baseball team? Or to the movies and dinner, or a play (our local college has an awesome summer theatre program), or something along that idea? Another idea would be to send him steaks or a roast or something like that. This past Christmas I sent my dad a Prime Rib and he was thrilled! Any kind of food in the mail like that is always appreciated. I know... it's a toughie, but I'm sure you're going to come up with something wonderful! :) Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

tammyc
True Blue Farmgirl

698 Posts

Tammy
Danville California
USA
698 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2013 :  3:54:05 PM  Show Profile
Nini, that's a great idea. As my parents have gotten older and downsized their possessions, it's been very hard to come up with gift ideas. I've done the memory photo albums already, pictures of the kids, etc., etc. Now, I give them restaurant gift cards, movie tickets. We did give them Omaha Steaks one Christmas (steaks and other meat) and they loved it! My dad loves Chardonnay, so I always give him a really good, expensive bottle. Fun things that are a splurge and won't take up space!
They don't really want more "stuff". My parents love to read, so a Barnes and Noble gift card is always a welcome gift for them.

"Be who you are and say what you like because the people who mind don't matter and the people who matter don't mind" - Dr. Seuss
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2013 :  5:44:27 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, girls! I got him a Home Depot gift card and my dd and I made a DVD of our garden and yard, and her playing violin, which her papa gave her. We say its a "virtual visit". I also found the PERFECT card. It is a 2D card with an old fashioned station wagon. It says "Dad, Remember those family road trips? You'd have the tank filled, tires checked, and everything loaded (and I mean crammed in) before dawn." Inside: "You sure packed my life with happy memories, Dad. Thanks. ". Perfect! Then dd made a drawing for him, and I padded the box with jam. Nini, the steaks are a great idea, think I will do that for my brothers birthday. Thanks for all the great ideas everyone, and Dawn, thanks for the idea of the DVD!

Farmgirl hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2013 :  5:46:00 PM  Show Profile
That's so funny you say that, Tammy! I sent my Mom wine from a local winery for Mother's Day - she was THRILLED !!! And a Barnes and Noble Gift Card is a FANTASTIC idea - I will definitely remember that at the holidays! Thank you! You are SO right, too: they have SO much stuff, and usually, if they want it, they'll just go out buy it for themselves, right? It's kind of nice to send special treats that they might not be so quick to purchase for themselves, especially if they're on limited incomes. :)

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2013 :  05:56:11 AM  Show Profile
Another idea is a pass for local museum's, or zoo. My mother, at her age, is begging me to take her to the zoo on our pass (we are waiting for a much cooler day).

Farmgirl Sister #800

My Life: http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/
Recycle Ideas: http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Our Family Store: http://roosterscrowfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2013 :  06:16:27 AM  Show Profile
Nicole! I KNEW you'd find the perfect gift to send! That sounds wonderful! I just know your Dad is going to be thrilled and deeply moved! I love the card, too - what a wonderful find! :) Happy Birthday to your Dad!

Kristina the passes are great ideas, too - especially for grandparents who live nearby! I love that! If my parents lived closer they would love something like that! They'd be taking the grandkids for outings all the time! Awesome idea!!!

Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2013 :  5:01:19 PM  Show Profile
Daddy got his present today. Called me as soon as he went through the box. He loved the Home Depot card as he is always building something at his farm. The card was perfect! He was so touched. Will try the jam tomorrow, and will view the dvd tonight when his wife can show him how to work the video on the computer. Success! Thank you girls!

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Help! Need ideas for a present Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: