Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2013 :  08:26:14 AM  Show Profile
Hi Farmgirls,

Just wanted to say hi to all my farmsisters. The past month was so stressful and I didn't get to "swing by" here as often. You were all in my thoughts, I missed you all so much!

Things are better now that summer is officially here. I was also under the weather for awhile, but feel better now, back to my "old self". Also, my daughter is out of school now, since Friday thankfully. Not only was it a difficult year with the tragedy in our school system, but dd had started a new school with a difficult transition, and was given a "difficult" teacher. She worked hard and kept all A's and B's, but what a hard year! Then there were so many school concerts, end of year field trips, bar-be-ques, etc, girl scouts, 4H club... We were on the run so much! It was all good, but too much of a good thing, lol! Anyone else feel relief that the school year is over? We are not scheduling a thing!

Also curious how everyone's gardens and yards are this year? We've had so much rain and had cold temps for so long, the veggies look a bit "slow", and things have been blooming later here. It's like we are two weeks behind.

Hugs, and missed you all!

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2013 :  08:37:37 AM  Show Profile
Welcome back Nicole. It has been a very rainy, sometimes cool June for us here in the Chicago area. While the vegetables have been slow, the mosquitoes are thriving! I hope you get to slow down a bit now and enjoy the summer break. Time to stop & smell the roses!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2013 :  08:55:46 AM  Show Profile
Welcome back Nicole! I'm glad that school is out and that your daughter can relax and enjoy the summer. It sounds like she did wonderful! What great grades :) I wonder if you have considered homeschooling? We don't have children but we know several families that have and it has been a joy for all of them.

My garden leaves alot to be desired :) We have a short growing season (cannot plant until after June 1st) It is finally in and off to a slow start. I wish that we had rain, we are in a drought and the irrigation water is to be shut off August 1st :(

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2013 :  10:51:19 AM  Show Profile
Hello my friend! Great to see your post- I know how you feel- so relieved that the school year is over with here too. Like you , we have nothing "planned" and are just taking one day at a time. In fact my DH is on vacation this week and we are doing "NOTHING" and its GREAT!
Enjoy your summer, and hopefully at some point we can meet up!
Big hugs,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

View my New Blog:
http://simplesuburbanpleasures.blogspot.com

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds that you plant.
~Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

Simple Living
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Joan
Staten Island NY
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2013 :  4:49:06 PM  Show Profile
Nicole, it's great to see you and your DD are doing good. Keep thinking joyful thoughts Nicole. If there is anything you need, please let me and the rest of our farmgirl sisters know

A Friend is Someone who Reaches for your Hand, But Touches your Heart!
Farmgirl #3842
Go to Top of Page

Sue Feely
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Sue
Buffalo New York
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2013 :  06:13:31 AM  Show Profile
Nicole we have missed you too; we hope that your area is healing!

Gardens are starting to perk up though I was away on vaca for two weeks I dont think my husband watered them as much as I would have liked him to, hoping the little ones will catch up!
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2013 :  12:48:37 PM  Show Profile
Welcome back! We are having a rainy and hot JUne here in North Florida. My tomatoes are gone, but I got a pretty good crop because I planted early.

Hope your life in Sandy Hook gets better all summer!

Farmgirl #31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13621 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13621 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2013 :  5:40:50 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Nicole,
Glad you're back and doing good!
I live in the same area as "calicogirl" and we didn't plant a garden because of the drought and serious, VERY SERIOUS, irrigation issue.
It is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO dry and parched!
We need some rain so desperately!!!

Anyway, glad you're back and look forward to hear more about what you're up to!
Hugs!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2013 :  6:42:12 PM  Show Profile
Hi Nicole!!! SOOOO good to "see" you!!! I'm so glad you're back, too, and that things are getting back to normal for you! It's just not the same when you're not here spreading sunshine! :)

I'm THRILLED school is over for the summer... But for me, that only means planning for fall (homeschool). My son groaned today when he saw me working on his curriculum. He's going to be a junior this year, so there will be a lot of exciting courses to delve into, that's for sure!

I'm soo sorry your daughter had a rough transition and a difficult teacher... School should be fun and exciting and a positive experience all around! I pray she'll have someone much nicer to teach her next year!

My garden is burgeoning with beauty thanks to all this rain. It did take a while for things to start coming in, but now it looks so pretty! Unfortunately, the bad insects have returned to enjoy my organic oasis, but this year I've tried some serious companion planting with flowers and herbs and it really seems to be helping! I still have to be vigilant, though, and am learning how to squish bugs without getting the heebie geebies (thank goodness for good, thick gardening gloves - LOL!). So far, we've had an abundance of lettuce, peppers, radishes and basil... Everything else seems to be coming along nicely, thank goodness. This year, I actually direct-planted most of my seeds right around the last frost and I am absolutely amazed at how well everything is doing. I actually found some 3" cauliflowers out there this afternoon and did a crazy happy dance - I haven't had any cauliflower actually "flower" in a few years! So, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. We'll see! Every day's an exciting adventure! ;)

Keep us posted on your summer and your garden! I sure have missed you!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2013 :  07:12:21 AM  Show Profile
Awwww....thank you all, sweet farmsisters. You are such a big chunk of my heart!!

@ Calicogirl (Sharon), I definitely have thought of homeschooling. I would have and was planning on it but Audrey is such a social child and being an only child, we worried she would be too isolated. If she had siblings I would have. Also, she is so musical, and on the plus side, Newtown school district's music department is amazing, really top of the line. It's unfortunate she got the fifth grade teacher she did. He was downright mean at times. Maybe he was really stressed, but it's really no excuse. But she made it through. She usually cries the last day of school because she loves school, but there were no tears the last day, this year! She did cry last Saturday. The town held a big celebration for all the therapy dogs last week that had graced our halls since December. Saying goodbye to them was really hard. Lots of good stuff this week, like play dates and pool parties, and our town's carnival.

Chicago sounds like you've got the same weather we do. We have more rain than we can use. Wish we could send it your way, CJ! Yesterday we had sun when we got up, ten minutes later a drenching storm, ten minutes later sun. It went on all day. At one point, we had both rain and sun and in my backyard was a rainbow!!

My carrots are looking good, so are the potatoes. With all the drenching rain, I am not sure about the tomatoes, cukes, and squash. Still early, so we will see. Now the beetles are back. Blaaaaaa!

Got caught up on the house chores. We will work on the yard tomorrow, weather permitting. Also am planning a birthday bash for DD! Any ideas for gifts for an eleven year old????

Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2013 :  07:29:32 AM  Show Profile
Hi Nicole,
I've missed you. Glad Audrey did so well in her new school. It is a big adjustment. Brook too started a new school this past year and had to struggle to keep honor roll but she did it. I wish she played an instrument like Audrey.
Brook is now in France for 10 days with my aunt and having a wonderful time. Katie comes here 7/27 for 19 days and I can't wait. Sure wish we could get all the girls together. What fun that would be.
My puny little garden-I got a few tomatoes but they are done now in this Florida heat. Still getting peppers. All my herbs went to seed. I think next year I will plant into the ground instead of pots. On the other hand, my rose bush is growing like crazy.
Still keeping your town in prayer for healing.
Sending love and big hugs, Joey

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Go to Top of Page

Madelena
True Blue Farmgirl

1919 Posts

Mary
Central TX
USA
1919 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2013 :  11:02:09 AM  Show Profile
Nicole.. Glad you made it through the year. Such a rough time for everyone. I think that the Therapy Dog Celebration was a wonderful idea. I am sure that the children greatly benefited from their presence in their buildings.

I was sorry to hear that Audrey had such a tough teacher. One would think that the teachers would understand the children's need to be strengthened emotionally. Maybe the teacher needed more reassuance than the kids did. But, who is to say.

Home schooling is an obvious answer if the schools aren't meeting the children's needs or are too out of line with the parents values. That difficult teacher was probably very stressful for her, but she also learned how to continue to be successful regardless. I think that's something she could be proud of.

Central Texas had the weirdest Spring weather. When the nights were in the 60's I planted.. I mean, Texas.. 60's, 70's followed by 100's! One would expect a typical progression. In stead for the next almost two months we had cold snaps and freezes at night well into May. May should be 95 degree days and 75 degree nights already... Lost most of my Zucchini. They were so stressed they gave up in late June. Only 2 are still breathing. My canteloupe, which I thought was a more tender plant, is happily jumping the beds and taking off across the lawn. I need a muzzle on those things.

Still got green peppers and a peppermint. Never got anything else in and now are well into summer. Just hoping to overdose on cantelopes this year. Will have to buy zucchini.

And yes, I am pretty sure the weather pattern is changing. The South and West will likely be hotter.. and we will all have serious water issues before too long, especially with the increase in population. My Geology teacher told us (100plus years ago!!) that we were in an interglacial warming period and the glaciers would eventually melt in some future century. (Ohio) We had 3 feet of snow outside with a blizzard forecast that week. I thought he lost his mind! .... Maybe not.

Anyone know much about Greywater? I think we will need to all become experts soon.

Take care Nicole. Good to have you back. Families are soo busy these days. Hang in there!

Mary

"There is no unbelief: Whoever plants a seed beneath the sod and waits to see it push away the clod, he trusts in God." (Kate Douglas Wiggin)
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2013 :  2:36:57 PM  Show Profile
Oh Madelena, such weird weather for Texas! Ours is strange too. Winter abruptly ended after dragging on in May, then rain came and it has been here almost every day in June. Floating away. Mosquitos are thriving. Garden is struggling...sigh...flowers looking good though.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2013 :  4:49:07 PM  Show Profile
Hi Nicole. I've been missing also. This move to Texas has kept me away from the MJF. I miss the chatting. Just been busy like you and others. Enjoy the summer. Hugs.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2013 :  5:24:23 PM  Show Profile
Nicole, glad to see you back. Although I rarely contribute, I always read your dinner thread.
I hate that your sweetie had an icky teacher. I had one like that in the 4th grade, my dad had died & my mom was working. She had it out for me;in the class picture, she is sneering at me. Not to mention that Joey Reynolds cut a big chunk out of my hair ALA Harriet the Spy.
But 5th & 6th grade were great. Hope Audrey has the same 6th grade experience I did (& my teach was a man, the vice principal & a volunteer fireman)
She is a bright girl; things can only go up from here right??

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2013 :  11:05:22 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Lisa. She and I feel so much better now that school is out. I worried about her everyday with that teacher. Marly, I missed you!! How's Texas? Are you all moved in okay?

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2013 :  3:30:18 PM  Show Profile
Hey Nicole, got your letter yesterday. So glad that school is over and you can both breathe easier! I haven't been on here much lately, either - but I sure miss talking with everyone! :) Enjoy your summer, my dear!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com

www.amydingmann.com
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts