Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 My big wonderful pile of wood chips!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic My big wonderful pile of wood chips!!! Next Topic
Page: of 2

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2013 :  7:09:59 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Linda. Seems there 's no magic way to control weeds!
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2013 :  11:46:54 AM  Show Profile
Thank you, Linda for bumping up the post and for all the info. Still patiently awaiting the call for a delivery... I hope and pray it arrives before winter!!! At least it's good to know we're on the list! :) Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2013 :  1:36:24 PM  Show Profile
Finished digging all the sweet potatoes and I have to say I am bushed. I ended up with a bumper crop this year thanks to the mulch. The vines that spread through the mulch ended up taking root and making extra potatoes. They were easier to dig up then the ones I planted in the dirt and very clean. I am so excited about these sweet potatoes!!! I will have them to eat for quite awhile. Now I just need to figure out where to store them.

Nini I need another load too. I hope they get to you before too long. If it comes late it will still be alright just put it on or let it rest and do it in the spring.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Oct 10 2013 1:37:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2013 :  1:46:30 PM  Show Profile
I have had (accidental) experience with growing onions and potatoes (not sweets, just regular old potatoes) in straw. Harvesting is a snap, and pretty clean, too. Now I'm wondering if sweets could grow this way.

Edited by - Rosemary on Oct 10 2013 1:47:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2013 :  2:24:08 PM  Show Profile
The tree trimming guys were by last week and my honey intercepted some mulch for our garden. Now to find the time to fill and rake the garden :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

http://amerryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2014 :  09:13:59 AM  Show Profile
Well I had not had another pile of raw mulch since the one big load last year. Over the winter it had broken down alot and was very thin. I knew I needed more but it seemed no chippers were working in my area.If they are not in our area its to costly in gas for them to come here and I understand that.

I was on my way to town when I saw the electric co. clearing around the power lines and chipping. I stopped or should I say screeched to a halt and backed up....lol.... and it was the same guys who brought me a pile last year.They kinda remembered me but said it was kinda hard to dump up by the house since we live are a steep hill. I told them they could dump at the bottom of the hill in our pasture.....it has a flat area at the bottom. They said they could do that.
Well I figured I would not see them but was hoping to.I heard the truck and sure enough they brought some raw mulch and was able to back in pretty easy through the gate. They brought a total of 6 loads. One of the loads has tulip popular and sassafras. Its smells like wine drifting from the pasture. I could smell it in the bedroom last night. Thats where are garden is....it smelled down right boozy.

I didn't think we would get anymore mulch cause I had called and was having no luck. Shoot most people I know were not having any luck. We ended up going to the Amish that sell mulch and bought 6 scoops of their natural mulch that was not treated or colored but its just not the same.Its just shredded up pallet leftovers. It wasn't that cheap either and we needed more.We just weren't sure this type of mulch was really going to be that good for the garden. Its just wasn't the same.None of the branches and green stuff that has all the nutrients in it.

So it was such a blessing to get the good stuff.Its alot of work but am happy to have it and do the work. I read its takes at least 2 years to start breaking down really good and the 3rd year is suppose to be great.I know there were lots of worms under the mulch this spring. Its been one year for us since we put our first load on so its still a work in progress and I hope it turns out better each year.What we don't put on the garden this year will be saved for next year. He told me they would not be chipping for several years in our area after this.

If they bring more mulch today I am going to give them some homemade soap. I will give them a bar of Patchouli & Sandlewood soap and a bar of the Northern woods soap.If they have wives then I will throw in a bar of Lavender too. I figured these guys would like the woodsy ones the best. I missed them yesterday so hoping they bring more mulch so I can give them their soap.

Just wanted to share with you ladies. Thanks.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Jun 17 2014 09:14:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2014 :  10:22:59 AM  Show Profile
Well they brought another load.....I feel like a raw mulch hoarder!!!I hope I don't need therapy for this later....lol. The man ask me do you want anymore........your pile is getting really big? I said does someone else in the area want some? He said not anyone close by......and I said bring more if you get it. He laughed and said okay we'll bring more. I was glad they came back and was able to give them both their soaps. They seemed happy to get them. I left the lavender one in because they are both married.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4190 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4190 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2014 :  4:49:23 PM  Show Profile
Hi Linda, nice to hear of your success story with the mulch. Boy you sure hit the jackpot or should I say mulch mother load! We don't have anyone chipping around us. I use leaves and grass, and it sure helps with the weeds. And I got plenty of composted manure to use too. It all helps. Hope your garden does well this year.

just a girl farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2014 :  5:04:19 PM  Show Profile
Michele the leaves and grass are great. I still use both of them......I think my favorite is the leaves they make beautiful compost. I hope to add more leaves to my garden this fall and some composted manure. The raw mulch is good but on its own its not enough. It does not give a total balance of nutrients to the garden. So I still need to add the other stuff too.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Jun 20 2014 07:51:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2014 :  08:40:21 AM  Show Profile
Linda - this is just SO great! I'm so excited for you! I'll have to keep my eye out for our local tree trimmers and see if I can coral any chips this year. I never heard from them last year - so disappointing! Maybe since our yard is so small they will let me just scoop a bunch of them up as they're working and save them the trouble of hauling it anywhere! We'll see! Keep us posted, okay? Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2014 :  07:16:02 AM  Show Profile
I GOT IT! I GOT IT!! I got a HUGE dump truck full of free mulch/chips yesterday! Long story short, there was a tree service cutting branches from my neighbor's tree. My son went out and asked if they wanted to get rid of the mulch, and they said I could have every bit of it if I wanted! They dumped the whole load in the alley behind the garage, so the guys and our son's buddies were out there moving it until the Pirates' game last night (of which we will not speak). There is still a humongous pile out there so our son and one of his buddies are working on it today. I just want to get it in the yard and then play! It's killing me not to be able to help them... I'm still not allowed any heavy lifting with this pacemaker! UGH!!!

So, our garden was already tucked in for the winter. We had cut down the dying vegetation, laid it quietly on top of the soil, leaving some of the vegetables on the vines so the seeds will set in for next spring. Then we covered the whole thing with straw. Now the boys have put a good two inches or so of wood chip mulch on top, and we're going to tackle the rest today. I think we'll be in good shape come spring. We're not adding any more animal manure this year because we were told that this could actually be bad for the garden due to the natural salts it contains. It was suggested to us that you should only do that every three years or so. However, if I can get around to coaxing my husband into allowing me to have a couple of rabbits (which we can pull off as pets instead of small livestock here in town), then I'll plan to use that next year for sure! When I go to plant in the spring (if I need to, because most of the garden will now be self-seeding), I'm going to pull back the mulch, add homemade compost to the soil, and then either plant seeds or seedlings, then move the mulch back around where I planted. When all is done, I'll probably screen more compost and then spread whatever remains on top of the mulch and wait to see what happens. I can't wait. Wish me luck!

Linda - what happened with the rest of your garden? How did it go? Any pointers??

EEEEE! I'm just so excited! Thank you, God, for unexpected blessings! :)

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Oct 02 2014 07:36:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2014 :  10:09:11 AM  Show Profile
Wow Nini I am so glad you got your chips finally!! Its alot of work but it sure helps. You still need to add other amendments like composted manure,leaves, grass clippings or whatever else you have. I thought his garden was doing good just because of the woodchips but he also uses composted chicken manure. I had missed that part in the film.
I had noticed my garden was not doing as well this year and realized it needed some composted manure. So I added composted manure tea and that helped. We have been in a drought and I only watered my garden plants 2 times and the woodchips kept the moisture in. So that was a great help. We are still in a drought but my kale and swiss chard are still doing great.

If you get a chance this guy talks about the part on the back to eden part of the film that many people missed like me.He is talking about adding composted manure. Here is the link. Hope this helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfX525YOr_4

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2014 :  10:09:37 AM  Show Profile
Linda - Just wondering... Did your wood chips have a lot of leaves and green debris in them? Mine looks like it's a healthy mix of both... And it's super fine chipped as well. I'm thinking it's going to be wonderful in the garden. I'm hoping. Fingers crossed. Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Oct 02 2014 10:09:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2014 :  11:00:38 AM  Show Profile
Yes mine had the leaves in it as well. Those will compost and add nutrients to the soil. I love to get the mulch when the leaves are in it. Its makes it a way better mulch.Did you know what kind of tree it was that they cut down and chipped. Was kinda wondering? I got many loads so there was anything from cedar,oak,walnut, sassafras,maple,tulip,and hickory. I loved the smell of the sassafras tree it was wonderful.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2014 :  11:36:57 AM  Show Profile
It wasn't just one particular tree. Apparently they were cutting trees all throughout our town, so I got a great mixture of different trees, as you did. It really does smell good. I'm hoping that since my soil was so well amended to begin with, along with the fact that I laid down all the vegetation and then covered it all with the straw first will make a big difference. I'm going to add our compost when planting for sure. I did see that video, but I had caught what Mr. Gautschi had said when I was watching it the first time around - it really was a subtle comment, though. I can definitely see where people may have missed it. He really does use a lot of chicken poo compost. I have gone back and watched the a few times and taken notes, and I think maybe those along with what I've learned over the past few years will serve me well. Let's hope! :) I don't expect an enormous garden next spring, of course; I know the mulch will take time to break down. But our neighbor grew up on a farm and he said that this stuff they gave me is really excellent quality. It's chipped super fine and has lots of green, leafy matter. He thinks that it should decompose relatively quickly and then I should be set for the next 20 years. I don't know about that, but I'm sure I won't have to do much as far as amending the soil for a good, long while. (Maybe some pig poo compost and our home composted materials, though! We'll see.)

Right now I'm just praying the boys don't give up out there. They're exhausted, and they've broken two different types of rakes and a couple of shovels already, and they're maybe half way through the pile. I just wish I could help them. I hate sitting here and just supervising.

OH! This morning, when they dug in, it started to steam and look as if it was smoking. I almost had a heart attack! I know that compost gets hot, but I didn't think we'd have a fire issue until I saw the smoke. Thankfully, the neighbor (my son's buddy's Dad) was there to allay any fears and show the boys what to do. All is well now, thankfully. It's hardly a boring day today, to say the least! LOL!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2014 :  11:59:31 AM  Show Profile
Nini I just thought of this. Be careful digging in the raw mulch after it sits a few days. It does get moldy before it breaks down.Our first pile I spent days working on it and by the 4th day or so I inhaled some of that moldy smokey stuff and ended up hardly being able to breath. I had to get a breathing treatment and pills to open my lungs up. I had a severe reaction to it.I thought it was just steam but it was mold.

Another thing I used a pitch fork to load it into the wheelbarrow and into my garden. But mine was not as finely chipped. It took me 6 days with out first pile and finally hubby and my son were able to help me with the rest over the weekend. The other huge pile at the bottom of our pasture it just sitting and composting for now.Take care.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2014 :  1:14:31 PM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness, that's HORRIBLE! Thanks for the heads up, Linda! I really appreciate it!

Well, the guys are still out there moving and spreading, but they've lost steam. We really have too much, although I'd be perfectly happy to figure out what to do with every sliver of it. I called and emailed a whole bunch of family and friends a little while ago to offer them some. Hopefully someone will want it and come take the rest off our hands. The guys are giving me sneers and rolled eyes at every turn. LOL! Wish me luck!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Garden Gate: Previous Topic My big wonderful pile of wood chips!!! Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page