Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic so excited about a pest! Next Topic  

auntjenny
True Blue Farmgirl

277 Posts

Jenny
San Luis Obispo CA
USA
277 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2014 :  7:48:10 PM  Show Profile  Send auntjenny a Yahoo! Message
Our cactus plants have had a problem...Some of them worse than others..we thought it was a disease, but learned online thst it is actually a bug. It looks like little white patches of foam polka dotting each leaf. We also learned that to get it gone we should power wash each leaf or pad to wash it off.... okay, did that. When we did it the water was a brilliant burgundy color. Weird. Anyway, yesterday a gal came from a county agency and asked to put a trap in our big orange tree in the front yard.. they are monitoring for a couple types of flies. We said she could, and then while she was here I asked her about the cactus pest, showing her a plant out front that had a little on it. She explained that it was where chochineal dye comes from-that red we saw! So ...I plan to play with a new dye! Woo hoo! Anyone else try it before?

Inside me there is a skinny girl crying to get out, but I can usually shut her up with cookies.

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4190 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4190 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2014 :  03:59:11 AM  Show Profile
Wow have fun with that Jenny. Do you have to collect bugs or just the foam patches? (yuck) haha

just a girl farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6941 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6941 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2014 :  06:33:48 AM  Show Profile
I find the whole thing of using natural things to dye with quiet interesting. You must have to collect tons of the stuff to use.

Sara
Walk in Peace - Live with Joy
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 25, 2014
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2014 :  07:10:14 AM  Show Profile
Well, I'll be darned... That is so, so cool, Jenny! Nature seemed to be giving you lemons and yet you're able to turn them into lemonade! Awesome! :) Have fun! Let us know how it goes with the dye! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2014 :  06:15:48 AM  Show Profile
That is cool, Jenny. You might have to become a 'bug farmer'!! You know, everyone here is gonna want some dye.

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2014 :  12:09:49 PM  Show Profile
I can't believe it, I was flipping channels and stopped on the show "How It's Made" and they were showing how Navajo rugs are made. They started from the carding/combing process through to the spinning of yarn, the dyeing and then rug weaving.

Guess what! They showed how they use 'cactus bugs' for the red dye. The bugs are bagged up in a cheesecloth type cloth and soaked in hot water. The ratio of bugs to water controls the intensity of the dye. Very interesting.

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

auntjenny
True Blue Farmgirl

277 Posts

Jenny
San Luis Obispo CA
USA
277 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2014 :  7:35:20 PM  Show Profile  Send auntjenny a Yahoo! Message
That is so cool. I would watch for it if I had cable. Maybe I could find it online. That is just how I planned to try it. Soon!

Inside me there is a skinny girl crying to get out, but I can usually shut her up with cookies.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4190 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4190 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2014 :  04:35:06 AM  Show Profile
Can't wait to see pictures!

just a girl farming in WI

Michele