soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2013 :  04:53:01 AM  Show Profile
I guess I'm lucky (?). Most folks in my clan aren't jelly eaters. I know. They are all crazy. However, lots of our friends are, so that's where all the jars go. Now, several of them can also, so I can understand not getting a jar back immediately (sometimes it comes back months later with something else canned in it like salsa). And it's not like I don't give them a gift - they just don't get it in a jar. They may get a plate of cookies on a fancy platter I picked up at the craft store on clearance for super cheap. One year, I got the platters on New Year's Day for 75% off plus I used my teacher discount. I think they ended up being a quarter a piece. Needless to say, I grabbed a stack!

Happy Friday, y'all!

Wife of terrific hubby and mom to 2 teenagers, a bunny, 1 geriatric goldfish, and the best dog in the world!

Check out my blog: http://www.suburbanprairiehomemaker.com
and follow me on Facebook (Suburban Prairie Homemaker), Twitter (@sphomemaker), and Pinterest (Suburban Prairie Homemaker)

Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2013 :  04:54:22 AM  Show Profile
Oh, and the other thing that goes in the jars - hot cocoa mix. To save on jars for that, I save my store-bought spaghetti sauce jars and use those.

Wife of terrific hubby and mom to 2 teenagers, a bunny, 1 geriatric goldfish, and the best dog in the world!

Check out my blog: http://www.suburbanprairiehomemaker.com
and follow me on Facebook (Suburban Prairie Homemaker), Twitter (@sphomemaker), and Pinterest (Suburban Prairie Homemaker)

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2013 :  8:55:05 PM  Show Profile
yes I'm thinking this year as well that "mixes" are going to be going in "saved" jars, I've been saving all my "jars" for months now for this. lol

With 17 siblings (not to mention there wives/husbands! and children too!) I need ideas on cheap, but still wanted gifts for that many people that I can afford with out going into the poor house! lol

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2013 :  11:23:37 AM  Show Profile
This thread seriously had me laughing out loud! My family and friends ever return my jars or lids... half of them reuse them for their own canning and the other half... honestly I have no clue what they do with them! I LOVE the idea of using jars from the store (non-resealable) for dehydrated foods and for hot coco mixes and other gifts that do not need to be sealed. In fact, I make herbal tinctures as well, and I'm thinking I should start using those type of jars for that as well. Thanks ladies!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic BPA-free Canning Jar Lids Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page