MayFay
True Blue Farmgirl

73 Posts

Stephanie
MO
USA
73 Posts

Posted - May 28 2013 :  07:34:17 AM  Show Profile
I've been converting all my kitchenware over to non-toxic products, and I've arrived at canning jars. My understanding is that Ball lids are not BPA-free, so I bought some Bormioli Rocco Quattro Stagioni jars and lids during this busy Memorial Day weekend, only to discover that they are only good for water bath processing, not pressure canning. I found the Tattler brand of BPA-free lids and wondered if anyone has had success using them on the Bormioli Rocco Quattro Stagioni jars for pressure canning?

Farmgirl Sister #5093

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2894 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2894 Posts

Posted - May 28 2013 :  08:31:41 AM  Show Profile
I have used the Tattler lids for 2 yrs with success. Be sure to read the instructions, as you only tighten them finger tight, or slightly, then after processing tighten fully. Out of several dozen jars, both water & pressure canning, I have only had 1 failed seal, but I think that was my fault.

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.

Edited by - nubidane on May 28 2013 09:02:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

musicmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Wendy
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - May 28 2013 :  11:46:51 AM  Show Profile
I'm hoping to switch over to the Tattler lids also. How do you do it for things you give away? At Christmas, we give away several jars to family and friends. It's become a tradition now. I suppose I could ask them to give me the lids back? I just don't want to put the investment into the Tattler lids and then not be able to use them year after year.

One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.
Bob Marley

www.becomingwendy.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 28 2013 :  12:04:38 PM  Show Profile
I am going to switch to the tattler too. BUT, I would only use tattler for my own stuff, not for gifts. UNLESS you know 100 percent the people will give you the lids back. I know my friends and family, and I know I would never see them again! lol So I will continue to use the cheapo ball ones for them, and only use the tattlers for my own stuff.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9382 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9382 Posts

Posted - May 28 2013 :  12:23:03 PM  Show Profile
I have never heard of canning jars lids that you can re-use. Will have to check this brand out. Where do you find them?

farm girl sister#43
http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 28 2013 :  1:49:16 PM  Show Profile
they've been advertised in MaryJane's magazine.

But, the best prices I have found is Lehman's. They sell them in bigger quantities then any one else, and so they are cheapest per a lid there. But, Amazon and all over the place does sell the tattler. But, like I said in my research Lehman's was the cheapest. And they are usually more expensive then any one else!

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9382 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9382 Posts

Posted - May 28 2013 :  3:24:15 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Heather!

farm girl sister#43

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

MayFay
True Blue Farmgirl

73 Posts

Stephanie
MO
USA
73 Posts

Posted - May 29 2013 :  06:35:02 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Lisa! I'm glad to hear the lids work well. And thank you, Heather, for the cheap price tip. :)

Farmgirl Sister #5093
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9382 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9382 Posts

Posted - May 29 2013 :  08:24:52 AM  Show Profile
I was wondering, are these rings that go under the white cap and then are kept on with the metal rings? Reminds me of the rings that used to go under the glass lids with the bales.

farm girl sister#43

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2894 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2894 Posts

Posted - May 29 2013 :  08:58:14 AM  Show Profile
You use the metal bands during processing, but after 24 hrs they can be removed. I store mine without the bands. Yes, the rings are similar to those Denise..

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9382 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9382 Posts

Posted - May 29 2013 :  1:17:49 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Lisa! Going to give these a try.

farm girl sister#43

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

Rain K
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Rain
Paonia CO
14 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2013 :  3:14:21 PM  Show Profile
If you live above 4000' in elevation, DO NOT use the Tattler lids...I am at 6000' and had nothing but trouble. I spoke with the owner of the company at length several times, we tried all sorts of tricks, but the basic conclusion is that the plastic lid/rubber ring system does not create an appropriate seal at my elevation. I can 1500 jars or more in a season and was SO excited about these, right up until I kept having a fail rate of more than 50% of my jars. Sad, but true.
Rain

Farmgirl #3381
The Ninth Wave
Earth Meat farms
Go to Top of Page

MayFay
True Blue Farmgirl

73 Posts

Stephanie
MO
USA
73 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2013 :  3:34:54 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the information, Rain. I'm at 1268' here, so I won't have altitude difficulties, thankfully!

Farmgirl Sister #5093

Edited by - MayFay on Jun 01 2013 3:35:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2013 :  01:37:43 AM  Show Profile
I've got around... 1000+ Tattler lids? Yup, I ran out of my regular-mouth ones last year, and definitely will again this year. Love 'em. I can actually better tell whether I've gotten a good seal with them vs. the disposable lids. And yes, I'm at around 2300ft elevation.

For jams and other things that I know will end up being gifts, I just use my stash of disposable lids I've acquired over the last several years of sales. Only trust my mom, sister, and fellow canning friend to return the Tattlers.

If I could get a whole stash of Weck or Fido or Stagioni jars, that would be great, but that's like a year's worth of mortgages to fill out my whole pantry with just jars. Since I have friends and family that always think of me when they dig up empty canning jars in places, I perpetually have more of those hand-me-downs/heirlooms for free (a few weeks back, some cousins and uncles sent back about 200 jars with my mom when she was visiting, yeehaw!).

Lanna, homeschooling mama to four little monkeys that still try to jump on the bed
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2013 :  09:48:13 AM  Show Profile
wow no one ever gifts me jars! Wish they would! AWESOME!

Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2013 :  7:01:09 PM  Show Profile
Why worry about getting the jars and lids back? I would just figure them into the price of the gift. If I were to ask for them back, they wouldn't be a gift, would they?

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2013 :  7:32:23 PM  Show Profile
cause the tattler lids being reusable are very expensive to never see again, and to think people would just throw them away. People who don't can don't understand the value of them and would just throw them in the trash.

Go to Top of Page

Singing Tree Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Cari
Chase Michigan
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2013 :  7:57:59 PM  Show Profile
Here is the company website. The creator of these lids lives in my hometown, and I have had a great experience dealing with him. http://shop.reusablecanninglids.com/shop.sc
On the homepage, there is also a video for using them, plus other info.
Go to Top of Page

Singing Tree Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Cari
Chase Michigan
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2013 :  7:59:10 PM  Show Profile
oops, don't know why it posted twice.

Edited by - Singing Tree Farm on Jun 21 2013 8:01:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

chickenmom
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Toni
Tucumcari NM
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2013 :  4:08:45 PM  Show Profile  Click to see chickenmom's MSN Messenger address
I'm at just over 4000 elevation. I've only had one Tattler lid fail so far. I like them.
Toni
Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2013 :  01:14:54 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Betty J.

Why worry about getting the jars and lids back? I would just figure them into the price of the gift. If I were to ask for them back, they wouldn't be a gift, would they?

Because I was in part raised by my grandmother, and it was one of her quirks. If you give me back my jars or even snag me some at a yard/garage sale, I'll keep you in jam or peaches for as long as you want.

If you just go and throw away the perfectly good glass jar... yeah, *I* can't handle that coming from a canning family. Too wasteful (although granted, I've been known to be a home for all kinds of jars - I'll take the Del Monte jars from Costco if folks still have the lids because they work great for dehydrated things where I don't need a seal). Besides, I use those jars in part to secure my family's future for the winter - that's what we eat when there's 3-8 feet of snow on the ground and *nothing* is growing. The Tattler lids are part of that - if you count freebie/hand-me-down jars, the lids are more expensive than those.

Lanna, homeschooling mama to four little monkeys that still try to jump on the bed
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2013 :  07:32:38 AM  Show Profile
I totally agree, Lanna. Non preservers do not realize the expense one incurs when it comes to jars, lids, rings, and even the canning process. They are mainly interested in the contents. However, if one wraps in gorgeous paper and beautiful bow, and it is just tossed in the trash like ordinary garbage--what's the difference?

I always asked for the cute little jars that had jam in them back, but just gave up on it because a gift is a gift. When it leaves my hands, it is theirs to do with as they see fit. I'm not rich by any stretch of the imagination, but it wasn't worth losing a friend for.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2013 :  12:34:14 PM  Show Profile
I guess I'm just mean. If you don't return my jars, you don't get jams and jellies for the next Christmas. I usually get most of mine back, and cute story alert, recently a friend of ours realized he hadn't returned my jars, so he bought me (insert super delighted squeal here)those beautiful blue jars that Ball brought back this summer. Boy, do I have them trained!

Just wanted to let folks know that I picked up jars this morning (really great sale), and the Ball jars now have BPA-free lids. I also purchased some reusable lids with silicone seals this summer as well. They are made in the USA, and for the life of me, I can't think of their name (and they're not Tattler).

Wife of terrific hubby and mom to 2 teenagers, a bunny, 1 geriatric goldfish, and the best dog in the world!

Check out my blog: http://www.suburbanprairiehomemaker.com
and follow me on Facebook (Suburban Prairie Homemaker), Twitter (@sphomemaker), and Pinterest (Suburban Prairie Homemaker)

Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2013 :  1:46:40 PM  Show Profile
Good for you Ann. I'm happy that you're happy. I'll have to look up those new Ball jars. Have you noticed in the years past that the jars are getting a different thickness? I think I also read somewhere that Kerr and Ball are owned by the same company. What do you know about that? I may be wrong.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2013 :  9:56:11 PM  Show Profile
hmmm....lol I'm not that far from the great depression-my grandmother grew up during it.

So wrapping paper and ribbons going in the trash? HUSH your mouth! lol haha NEVER. I remember not knowing that other kids just ripped wrapping paper to shreds! Oh my goodness...my mom would of skinned us alive. We had to carefully take it off, and give it back to her to use next year! lol Now the whole family has went to gift bags, and unless something tragic happens to them (like say the cat pees on one! lol) they get used over and over and over again.

Yet, my family doesn't understand to give my jars back! My neighbors do though.

I would never lose a family member or friend over a jar. BUT, my solution to my family-they only get TINY jars of things (the jars are actually not that much cheaper, but it is cheaper to give them less food! And it's less work for me to give them less! So no jar return, less food for you! lol haha) And they only get disposable lids. I would never give them a reusable lid to just trash-why bother, what would be the use of even buying a reusable lid, when disposable exist for them to just trash? Naw, I'll keep giving them little jars, and only use the disposable lids they come with! lol haha My nice neighbor lady on the other hand, will be getting two to three times the amount of jars, not to mention bigger ones then they get! lol haha Cause she not only returns my jars but actually usually gives me some others she's picked up. (she learned fast, more jars you give me, more food you get! lol). haha

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2013 :  9:58:34 PM  Show Profile
oh and it's not that I don't want to be nice to my family. But, I have 17 siblings, it's a BIG investment to buy that many jars to never see again. (let alone if I was to give them reusable lids too!) and so I had to figure out some way of cutting cost, and the only way was to go smaller, and give less food-less food cost me less money. Sadly the food is cheaper then the jars, so if they would only give me the jars back, then actually I could afford to give them all more food! But, I don't even waste my breath. Because not that I don't love them, I just know they are mainly scatter brained and just won't do it...the general rule is, if you ever want to see it again don't take it to my parents house! lol

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic BPA-free Canning Jar Lids Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page