Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 soft, not crispy oatmeal cookies recipies wanted
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic soft, not crispy oatmeal cookies recipies wanted Next Topic  

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - May 23 2013 :  2:17:09 PM  Show Profile
My husband loves soft oatmeal cookies. It seems like every recipe I try makes crisp ones even if I try to underbake them. Do you have a recipe that makes big, soft plump cookies? Raisens or dried cranberries or cherries would be a big plus.

"I've wept in the night for the shortness of sight that to someone's needs I've been blind; but I've yet to feel a twinge of regret for being a little too kind."

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2317 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2317 Posts

Posted - May 24 2013 :  7:07:48 PM  Show Profile
Here's my family favorite Nancy. These cookies always stay soft.

Old-fashioned Oatmeal Cookies
1 cup raisins, covered with water and brought just to a boil to soften and plump. You will add the water with the raisins to cookie dough.
1 cup sugar
1 cup shortening
2 eggs
2 cups flour
2 cups oatmeal
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix in order given. Drop on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 15 min. Enjoy.

Hugs
Julie

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - May 24 2013 :  7:29:18 PM  Show Profile
Julie, Thank you so much! I'm be making them tomorrow and let you know how they turned out.

"I've wept in the night for the shortness of sight that to someone's needs I've been blind; but I've yet to feel a twinge of regret for being a little too kind."
Go to Top of Page

princesspatches
True Blue Farmgirl

431 Posts

arttie
iron mountain michigan
USA
431 Posts

Posted - May 25 2013 :  04:18:46 AM  Show Profile
Nancy,

If you want softer cookies....use your shortening or butter COLD. Crispy cookies use shortening or butter WARM.

Good luck
Arttie
Go to Top of Page

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - May 25 2013 :  08:46:19 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the tip, Arttie.

Go to Top of Page

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - May 26 2013 :  1:07:08 PM  Show Profile
Julie, I made the cookies and hubby really liked them. I used dried cherries which he loves so he is one happy man. I would like nuts...I like nuts in everything but he doesn't in oatmeal cookies. I'm going to make them again with cranberries. Thanks so much. My search for the perfect soft oatmeal cookie is finally over!

Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2317 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2317 Posts

Posted - May 28 2013 :  3:31:39 PM  Show Profile
So glad you liked them Nancy. Try them with dried blueberries and a little orange peel, super yummy.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - May 28 2013 :  5:22:00 PM  Show Profile
Great idea! I'll be making these cookies often.

Go to Top of Page

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3474 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3474 Posts

Posted - May 28 2013 :  6:12:01 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Julie and Arttie for the recipe and tips. I am sure going to try making them really soon. Sound yummy

Farmgirl #5111
Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page

naturemaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

2569 Posts

Connie - Farmgirl #673
Hoosick Falls NY
USA
2569 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2013 :  02:23:24 AM  Show Profile
Nancy, i got this recipe off allrecipes.com..they are nice and soft.

Soft Oatmeal Cookies

"This recipe for soft oatmeal cookies creates a moist and flavorful dessert that will make everyone's day a little bit better."

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3 cups quick cooking oats
fruit of your choice

DIRECTIONS:

1. In a medium bowl, cream together butter, white sugar, and brown sugar. Beat in eggs one at a time, then stir in vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon; stir into the creamed mixture. Add fruit. Mix in oats. Cover, and chill dough for at least one hour.

2. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets. Roll the dough into walnut sized balls, and place 2 inches apart on cookie sheets. Flatten each cookie with a large fork dipped in sugar.

3. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. (i bake mine for 10 min..no less or more)

Connie

http://www.naturemaiden.com/ - Soap & Candle
http://modern-day-laura.blogspot.com/ -Filled with everything I love!
http://www.thriftyfarmgirl.com/ - FOR SALE: Vintage Sewing Machines, Parts, Crafts and more.

Edited by - naturemaiden on Jun 09 2013 02:27:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4740 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4740 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2013 :  06:32:55 AM  Show Profile
We love Paula Deen's, Paula's Ultimate Oatmeal Cookies. I'm not a fan of most of her recipes, too sweet or buttery, but these are delicious and soft. The recipe is in her "Paula Deen & Friends Living It Up, Southern Style" cookbook. Please email me if you want the recipe.

Have fun testing out all the yummy recipes you have received and let us know which one was you favorite.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic soft, not crispy oatmeal cookies recipies wanted Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page