Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Canning Beef Stew Recipe Question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Canning Beef Stew Recipe Question Next Topic  

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - May 13 2013 :  07:59:33 AM  Show Profile
As everyone knows I'm really getting into pressure canning this year. So please forgive all the questions.

Anyway, I have several roasts in the freezer that I'd like to put up as beef stew. And this is my question:

All my favorite "regular" beef stew recipes have tomato sauce/paste in them but the canning recipes do not. Can I add the tomato sauce/paste into the basic recipe? I'm thinking it would be ok because of the acid in the tomato and the stew being pressure canned, but before I commit 7 jars, I just want to be sure.

Thanks ladies!

Wife of terrific hubby and mom to 2 teenagers, 2 bunnies, 2 geriatric goldfish, and the best dog in the world!

Check out my blog: http://www.suburbanprairiehomemaker.com
and follow me on Facebook (Suburban Prairie Homemaker), Twitter (@sphomemaker), and Pinterest (Suburban Prairie Homemaker)

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - May 18 2013 :  10:47:22 AM  Show Profile

Ann,

I wish I knew but I have never done beef stew in canning. My canning is usally done for summer vegetables. Maybe you can find some information online. I hope everything turns out great for you!

Hugs!

Judy

"Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

"Country Girl at Heart"...
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - May 19 2013 :  7:00:54 PM  Show Profile
You can add the sauce with the meat, just can it for the full time length and pressure the meat requires. I can "meals in a jar" all the time. It is SO handy!!!

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - May 20 2013 :  04:46:06 AM  Show Profile

Angie,

Sounds so good. I need to "expand my horizons" so to speak and begin to try to can some other things besides vegetables. When I was a youngster...my mom used to buy cans of pork and beef. I still remember the taste and especially how good it smelled when she opened the can. So good were the "good ole days"! I have been told that eating homemade saurkraut helps replenish the beneficial bacteria in our body which is so needed for a healthy immune system.

Hugs!

Judy

"Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

"Country Girl at Heart"...
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - May 21 2013 :  10:13:06 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Angie!
Fortunately, the stew was a huge hit. Unfortunately, there wasn't anything left over to can. BUT - it's good to have another recipe for the future.

Wife of terrific hubby and mom to 2 teenagers, 2 bunnies, 2 geriatric goldfish, and the best dog in the world!

Check out my blog: http://www.suburbanprairiehomemaker.com
and follow me on Facebook (Suburban Prairie Homemaker), Twitter (@sphomemaker), and Pinterest (Suburban Prairie Homemaker)

Go to Top of Page

82kygal
True Blue Farmgirl

548 Posts

Laura
Somerset Kentucky
USA
548 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2013 :  2:14:00 PM  Show Profile
Oh this is awesome. I have canned for years but not with a pressure cooker. I am to scared to. LOL. Anyway was thinking of doing meat. What are your recipes or good advice on the subject. Thanks much

With God, all things are possible. (Mark 10:27)
What ever you are, be a good one. (Abe Lincoln)
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Canning Beef Stew Recipe Question Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page