CindyG
True Blue Farmgirl

293 Posts

Cindy
Fairfax VA
USA
293 Posts

Posted - May 17 2013 :  2:28:46 PM  Show Profile
Sorry if this has already been covered, but I'm off on a camping trip tomorrow and need advice quickly if anyone has some....

Has anyone made marshmallows with ChillOver AND have you toasted them over a campfire? How did they turn out?

I'm taking some Girl Scouts camping tomorrow and just found out a late addition to the trip requires a pork-free diet for cultural reasons. Store-bought marshmallows can have beef and/or pork sourced gelatin in them, so she can't eat those. I think I will get kicked out of scouts if we don't have s'mores on a campout, so I need a solution!

I've made some yummy chilled desserts using ChillOver, but not marshmallows. I can get them made tonight, but would love to hear from anyone who has done this and has torched them.

Thanks in advance-
CindyG

ruthie218
True Blue Farmgirl

1425 Posts

Ruthie Ann
Indiana
USA
1425 Posts

Posted - May 18 2013 :  07:32:44 AM  Show Profile
Just google homemade marshmallows and there tons of recipes

http://simpleindianagirl.blogspot.com/

Farmgirl sister#4072
Go to Top of Page

Ashley
MaryJanesFarm Food Guru

54 Posts

Ashley
Moscow ID
54 Posts

Posted - May 20 2013 :  09:25:14 AM  Show Profile
Hi Cindy,
Sorry this is after your trip, but yes! Marshmallows made with ChillOver toast beautifully. In my humble opinion, they taste and toast even better than traditional marshmallows!

Ashley
Go to Top of Page

ruthie218
True Blue Farmgirl

1425 Posts

Ruthie Ann
Indiana
USA
1425 Posts

Posted - May 20 2013 :  5:06:48 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Ashley good to know.

http://simpleindianagirl.blogspot.com/

Farmgirl sister#4072
Go to Top of Page

CindyG
True Blue Farmgirl

293 Posts

Cindy
Fairfax VA
USA
293 Posts

Posted - May 20 2013 :  5:37:31 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ashley,

Thanks for the review of toasted ChillOver marshmallows - I will make some and use them on our next trip in June.

Just FYI we subbed a seriously decadent dessert on this weekend's trip. Can you imagine a camp version of pineapple upside-down cake made with Krispy Kreme donuts?! Cut a glazed donut in half like you would a bagel. Put it cut-side UP on a piece of tin foil greased with butter. Drizzle a little pineapple syrup from the can on the cut side of the donut, place a pineapple ring on top, and then sprinkle with a heaping teaspoon on dark brown sugar. Top with the other half of the donut, cut side down. Add one cherry in the center, if you want. Fold up and seal the foil. Place on a grate over campfire coals (or in a hot oven) for a total of 6 - 8 minutes, turning over at the halfway mark. Open the foil, let cool for a minute or two and then be ready for a hedonistic treat :)

To say that no one missed s'mores at a Girl Scout campout is saying something!

But s'mores with ChillOver marshmallows will be happening in June.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic ChillOver marshmallow s'mores? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page