Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Fabulous Farm Collectibles
 *Farmgirl Barter™
 Share Your Sour Dough Starter?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author *Farmgirl Barter™: Previous Topic Share Your Sour Dough Starter? Next Topic
Page: of 2

bybiddie
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

susan
upstate ny
USA
267 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2006 :  09:28:28 AM  Show Profile
I have got such a hankering for sour dough, and I thought that I'd see if there is some FarmGirl out there who would be willing to send me a bit of their special starter - I can trade a pair of mittens or fingerless gloves for it! I thought it would be so nice to make my sourdough bread knowing there was a little bit of FarmGirl in each loat

Lovin' my life

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2006 :  9:10:27 PM  Show Profile
sourdough starter is on it's way to Susan in New York from Nevada
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2006 :  10:02:17 PM  Show Profile
how does one mail sourdough starter? just curious...

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2006 :  09:33:27 AM  Show Profile
I've sent it to England and Australia as well as all over the USA and Canada. I feed it the night before and fill a small freezer ziploc about half full, then press out the air. Put into a bank check box, as they are small but sturdy. Only one didn't arrive safely and that was to a gal in
Arizona in the heat and it sat in her mailbox several days. It leaked out of the bag, though she was able to scrape out enough to get it going again.
I've also sent it dried, which is cheaper, but not everyone has the patience to feed it slowly to get it activated again. When I mailed the box yesterday, the post office lady asked if it was perishable, etc. I laughed and told her it's hard to kill a good sourdough starter.
Think I may have offended someone who went on and on about the Amish friendship starter and I had to explain to her they weren't one and the same.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2006 :  11:42:27 AM  Show Profile
Ooh I would like some too if you have enough......could sew up a small bag? or an apron?

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
Go to Top of Page

bybiddie
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

susan
upstate ny
USA
267 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2006 :  12:35:32 PM  Show Profile
Ronna, I don't think there's any chance it will overheat in my mailbox! Hasn't been above freezing for a couple of days. Maybe it will be there today!!??!! How exciting!!!

Susan

Lovin' my life
http://BizzyHands.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2006 :  8:28:27 PM  Show Profile
Holly,
Email me your snail mail address and I'll send you some. Don't need anything in return, sharing is what I like to do.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

EagleNest
True Blue Farmgirl

192 Posts

Mary
Yakima WA
192 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2006 :  9:19:37 PM  Show Profile
Ronna
Would you have a little extra for me? My 5th graders are reading a book set in the Snake River Canyon of Idaho. The old prospector in the book has sourdough starter and teaches the main character to make bread, cookies, etc. My students are very curious about the sourdough starter. I'd love to able to show then a batch and maybe even bake them a treat.
I'll send you something fun in return.
Mary

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Gal 5:22
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2006 :  07:57:05 AM  Show Profile
Mary,
I'd be happy to send to you, email me your snail mail address. Showing the kids the starter when it's dormant and how it bubbles and rises when it's fed should be interesting. My MIL, born on this day in 1904 (she died Sept.11, '95) told me her mother always kept starter on the shelf above the stove on the farm in Kansas. She would have appreciated the significance of dying on another infamous day and we can't forget her birth or death dates.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

berries
True Blue Farmgirl

475 Posts

gloria g
Florida
USA
475 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2006 :  10:34:28 AM  Show Profile
Ronna, you didn't know what you were in for when you joined this group. After the holidays, and things settle down for you, and all your starters are sent out....I would surely love to have some as well. Years ago a doctor friend of mine shared some of his families with me, which I had for over 15 years. But when my husband and I had to move, I gave it away without realizing the value and love in it. I would love to have some of yours. But I don't mind waiting. Sounds like everyone wants to share in it! My sons always remember when mom made sour dough bread and they always mention it when we're all together!!!!

Thanks for joining in and I look forward to hearing from you!

farmgirl hugs and strawberries, gloria g. Richards, TX

strawberry fields forever and ever!

www.strawberryhousequilting.com
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2006 :  11:48:19 AM  Show Profile
Gloria....and anyone else who wants some, send me snail mail addresses and I'll send some out. Not any more work to box up a few more and send them all on the same trip to the post office. Will probably go out Monday, will post when they're mailed to those who request. I'd better go round up all the empty bank check boxes. I have to go feed my starter now, new homes are waiting :) Does this qualify me to be okay for swaps even if I am new?
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

berries
True Blue Farmgirl

475 Posts

gloria g
Florida
USA
475 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2006 :  2:56:55 PM  Show Profile
Oh yeaaahhh.....Thank You, I really don't mind waiting.

Thanks again,

farmgirl hugs and strawberries to you, gloria g. Richards, TX

Go to Top of Page

bybiddie
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

susan
upstate ny
USA
267 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2006 :  5:09:28 PM  Show Profile
Yay!!! Mine came in today's post!!! Thank you, thank you, Ronna! Now I'm going to dig out the email you sent on how to keep it going! I can't wait to use it - thanks so much for sharing!

xxx susan

Lovin' my life
http://BizzyHands.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2006 :  5:17:19 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for letting me know it made the trip cross country safely.
Those bank check boxes are great for mailing small items. I have 3 more (so far) to mail from this group and one to a man on the sourdough list.
Enjoy, don't let it intimidate you or think you have to be a slave to using it. It will sit and wait in the fridge for a very long time without feeding.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2006 :  6:28:45 PM  Show Profile
Ronna.........Don't forget your best friend when it comes to starter, OK? I'll try not to kill it! Cindy

If life gives you scraps, make quilts!
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2006 :  8:15:00 PM  Show Profile

Cindy,
Yours will be personally delivered when we meet tomorrow. I didn't forget you, honest!
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2006 :  7:51:41 PM  Show Profile
Sourdough starters are mailed and on their way to new homes across the country. Sent out 6 today, one to a man on the yahoo sourdough list and the rest to MJF ladies. All went first class mail, so should be at your house by the end of the week I hope. Will appreciate letting me know they've arrived okay.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

berries
True Blue Farmgirl

475 Posts

gloria g
Florida
USA
475 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2006 :  7:53:32 PM  Show Profile
Thank you girl! I can hardly wait!

farmgirl hugs, gloria g. Richards, TX

Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2006 :  9:52:45 PM  Show Profile
thanks so much Ronna.recieved mine today.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2006 :  2:52:53 PM  Show Profile
Received mine today! Thanks a lot! Do I need to feed it? Also we are going out of town for several days next Friday.... can I just leave it in the fridge without feeding it?

Thanks again,

Holly

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2006 :  6:53:29 PM  Show Profile
Hey everybody........I made sourdough pancakes last weekend and they were wonderful! Thanks Ronna!!!!!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2006 :  6:59:10 PM  Show Profile
Holly, Ronna is out of town for a couple days so won't get to her computer. This is how I would handle it, she can correct me if I'm wrong when she gets back. I don't think I can kill it long distance!!!

I would feed it and let it get bubbly and then put it in the fridge. That will give it a good start and you can use it when you get back.

I think you will have a lot of fun with it when you get a chance.

Cindy

Go to Top of Page

EagleNest
True Blue Farmgirl

192 Posts

Mary
Yakima WA
192 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2006 :  10:32:52 PM  Show Profile
Ronna
Mine arrived this afternoon. Now I'll feed it and let it grow. Thanks a bunch!!!
Mary

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Gal 5:22
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2006 :  12:40:11 PM  Show Profile
I'm back home, hit some snow and icy roads about 100 miles from home and Larry decided we should spend the night. Had a large lake to go around, with a steep drop off and I don't like it at night when it's good weather, so glad he made that decision.
Don't be a slave to the sourdough, it's very forgiving. When you aren't going to be using it for a week or longer, feed it, let it bubble and raise and when it's done, put it in the fridge in a tupperware or such. If it's not done bubbling, leave the lid a bit loose so it doesn't pop it off from the gasses. If it's not active, you can seal it to keep the fridge odors out. When you're ready to use it again, let it warm up a bit on the counter and then feed about equal amounts of warm water and flour. If you like it thick, use more flour, thin, more water. If you read all the do's and don'ts, it might scare you off, but don't let it. I still believe in not using any metal to store or stir it, but that's just the way I learned many years ago. Baking in metal pans is fine, by that time, your main amount of flour is added and it's not so strong. Try some in your next banana bread, about a half cup for a usual one or two loaf recipe. It adds another flavor dimension. The recipe I've used for carrot cake for years, with sourdough, is so well used, the book opens to that page by itself. Enjoy.....Ronna
Go to Top of Page

welikepets
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Dana
Jefferson City MO
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2007 :  7:37:58 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Ronna.....or any of you nice ladies out there with some sourdough starter to share.....I would reeeaaalllly like to have some too....I've just discovered MJF & this site. WOW! What a great place to easily find so much farm girl info. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2007 :  7:51:13 PM  Show Profile
Dana,
Email me with your mailing info and I'll add you to the next batch going out, probably sometime next week. Will have to find some more small boxes for them.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 *Farmgirl Barter™: Previous Topic Share Your Sour Dough Starter? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page