Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 HIVES! not the bee kind
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic HIVES! not the bee kind Next Topic  

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - May 10 2013 :  06:47:08 AM  Show Profile
Have you ever had hives? I developed a case of hives last weekend, as the doctor said only about half the time can the cause be identified. So I don't know, among the multitude of possibilities I should watch out for. On line it said that they can last up to 6 weeks. My concern it that its been almost a week and I keep getting more new spots in spite of taking my prescription. Is that what usually happens or am I re-agravating them somehow? I'll try to call the doctor later today but thought someone here might have dealt with these nasty itchies.

Susan

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
635 Posts

Posted - May 10 2013 :  3:44:07 PM  Show Profile
I know that when I've had hives due to an allergic reaction from a new medicine, I can take my prescription and then BOOM it's gone. But I had a friend that developed hives that wouldn't go away. After three months of suffering, he finally went to an Amish "doctor" who told him that the hives were due to stress. Has your doctor discussed doing allergy testing on you? I hope they go away! Itchin' all the time is miserable!

My blog: http://14thandoak.com
The Homefront Kitchen (WWII-inspired): http://thehomefrontkitchen.com
Go to Top of Page

KathyC
True Blue Farmgirl

583 Posts

Kathy
Gastonia NC
USA
583 Posts

Posted - May 10 2013 :  4:37:33 PM  Show Profile
I had hives 3 or 4 times between the ages of 18 and 30. The first was by far the worst. They started late one afternoon on my scalp. By about 6:00pm the were starting to creep down onto my face. My mom knew what they were once she could see them. By the next morning I was COVERED in hives down to my knees. I went to the doctor wearing only a skirt and a poncho. I had them so bad I could not even open my eyes all the way. He gave me some meds that put me to sleep, I woke up 6 hours later hive free. Nothing in the last 30 years thankfully.
Sorry I'm no help, itching is the worst!

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - May 10 2013 :  5:56:35 PM  Show Profile
Hives are usually from an allergic reaction to something (possibly that you are eating), or from nerves. Getting hot or sweaty can make hives much worst. Try staying cool if you can. Feel better. Nothing is worse than the itchies!

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9329 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9329 Posts

Posted - May 12 2013 :  12:23:56 PM  Show Profile
I suffered with hives a couple of summers ago. Started in the spring and went in to the fall with them.
They were big too the whole front side of my thighs and my arms. I took an antihistamine which helped a lot. I can't do Benadryl. It seems for me they were linked to my regular allergies. I have those year round. They ended and I have rarely had them show up since. I still deal with the allergies so I can think is that there was something that I normally deal with that just ballooned that year. I used Aveeno in the bath which helped but the antihistamine was the only thing that would make them go away. They usually started in the afternoon and by the time I went bed they were really bad so I started taking the antihistamine in the late afternoon to avoid them. They would be gone by morning and it would start over the next day. Just kept that up until they left for good.

farm girl sister#43
http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - May 19 2013 :  1:37:26 PM  Show Profile
I get them from eating anything that has sodium nitrate or sodium nitrite. Had sworn off foods that had this in them for migraine prevention.

Found out last summer for sure this is what caused them when I got all itchy and it wasn't from the heat. I was in a colder climate and hadn't sweated at all for about 4 days! The only other thing was eating subs from Jimmy John's and Subway

Last wekend we bought a pepperoni pizza. Of course I picked all those off, but sure enough, 30 minutes later, had quarter sized hives on my stomach again. Probably from the teeny pepperonis and just the pepperoni saturated fat since only half were picked off
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic HIVES! not the bee kind Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page