Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Gout - Help!!!!! I'm helpless...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Gout - Help!!!!! I'm helpless... Next Topic  

shawneefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

91 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
91 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2013 :  06:06:52 AM  Show Profile
My son is having a gout attack.......he has had them in the past, but this one is HORRIBLE. He watches what he eats, and drinks. And he is out of his meds. I do not know what I can do for him other than call the dr. when the office opens. Has anyone had gout attacks, and what do you do to help prevent them, or anything herbal he can take to help reduce the inflammation while having the attack?? I read that nettles tea could help. Does anyone know if this is true? He is in constant horrible pain, and I feel helpless. You know how mothers are...

I'll tell you the truth, if a man keeps my word, he will never see death." John 8:51

jollyquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

WV
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2013 :  2:44:32 PM  Show Profile
I am saying a prayer for him. How old is he? Ice will help but you may have to use cold water instead, the ice may be to heavy. Ibuprophin will help a bit to.

www.StuffByKim.etsy.com
http://fiberandflea.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

shawneefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

91 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
91 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2013 :  3:25:23 PM  Show Profile
Jollyquilter: thank you for the prayers. God is good, isn't he..I luckily got him in right away this morning to the dr. Usually on Mon morning -that's impossible! He got a shot, and some meds. His blood pressure was up to 207/87 because of all the pain. So getting the shot helped it to come down. My son is 38 and lives about 20 min away. He called this morning and we went to get him because he could not walk or drive. His dr. is about 10 min from us, so it all worked out. I am so thankful that this all worked out for him and the pain is subsiding. Thank you for the ice suggestion, but this time it would have been too heavy like you thought. He took ibuprofen -800 mg but it did not even phase the pain. I hate, hate, hate that lousy gout - it's SO painful. But thankfully he's on the downhill side of this.

I'll tell you the truth, if a man keeps my word, he will never see death." John 8:51
Go to Top of Page

TexasJo
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Jody
Berthoud CO
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2013 :  3:53:39 PM  Show Profile
Linda, My husband has gout attacks periodically like once forgetting that Salmon is a problem (oops). He drinks a massive amount of 100% Black Cherry Juice if he doesn't have meds available when he has an attack. That somehow helps to flush it out and makes it a little more tollerable, but almost nothing works until it's flushed out of that particular joint, which takes time unfortunately. I have made foot baths for him (hot water and cider vinegar) to loosen up those crystals that form around the joint and he has found that gives him some relief. I hope your son feels better soon. I know the meds the docs give help to flush it quicker, so hopefully he will be feeling better soon. Gout is awful stuff!
Take care,
Jo
Farmgirl Sister #5000

We can do it!
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2013 :  4:15:00 PM  Show Profile
Have him eat more alkaline foods, decrease his animal protein intake and cut any soda completely from his beverages of choice. Good herbs for inflammation include yucca and noni, you might also consider dandelion, red beet, red clover, safflower, devil's claw or uva ursi to supplement. Be sure to check for any possible interactions with his medications. A great place to check for drug interactions is http://reference.medscape.com/drug-interactionchecker

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

True enlightenment is nothing but the nature of one's own self being fully realised-- His Holiness the Dali Lama

www.madameapothecary.com
Go to Top of Page

jollyquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

WV
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2013 :  9:35:18 PM  Show Profile
Also need to drink plenty of water. At least 2Liter a day. The uric acid can also cause kidney stones in men. My dh had one removed last year the size of a ping pong ball. The tests showed it was formed with uric acid. Good luck to your son.

www.StuffByKim.etsy.com
http://fiberandflea.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2013 :  03:45:01 AM  Show Profile
Linda - I'm so sorry he's going through this, and will pray for him! My dad also has been battling gout. One thing that really shocked him was learning that turkey - TURKEY of all things - will seriously exacerbate the problem. Alcohol is a REALLY big no-no as well. Coffee and vitamin C are supposed to be helpful for some reason, too. Also, gout can be the result of more serious problems, so please do make sure he sees the doctor. My dad lets it go too long and then ends up having serious complications in other areas. Finally, and I'm only saying this because I learned this the hard way myself: please be sure to check with the doctor and/or the pharmacist before taking any herbal remedies or supplements, which can react in extremely adverse ways with certain medications. I hope your son will be better soon! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

TexasJo
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Jody
Berthoud CO
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2013 :  09:29:24 AM  Show Profile
Wow, Nini -- turkey? That's wild! Thankfully my husband doesn't like turkey. But he loves asparagus and that's is one of the worst for him besides peanuts. He ate peanut butter for years and years and now has to eat only Almond Butter. He also cannot eat salmon, but shellfish hasn't been an issue -- weird. He does fine with beans though, too, but they are supposedly an issue along with peas. It's very hard to figure out what is going to be a problem and what isn't. Red meat doesn't bother him, but it's on the list also. He does have to be careful with alcohol, too, but one or two beers doesn't seem to bother him. The main thing he does is he drinks a lot of the 100% organic Black Cherry Juice. That helps to keep it in check. But he sure misses asparagus and peanuts. :( It's crazy how the body suddenly chnages and is not able to process the same as it did before. We just have to make changes along the way, don't we? Linda, I hope your son does better and figures out what works for him and stays away from the stuff that really gets him. It's soooo hard! Take care,
Hugs,
Jo

We can do it!
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2013 :  09:38:10 AM  Show Profile
Yep! Honest to Pete, Jody - TURKEY! My dad learned that after his Thanksgiving dinner last fall. The gout flare up was incredibly bad as a result. The doctor said it's one of the worst things for gout, and after his experience with it, my dad now avoids it at all cost. I just couldn't get over it myself!

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

TexasJo
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Jody
Berthoud CO
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2013 :  1:05:02 PM  Show Profile
LOL... Nini -- I believe you! So weird though, right? And I have never seen turkey on any of the lists. But I guess I shouldn't be surprised by anything that causes it now... so many things do! Sometimes he's at a loss as to what he should or shouldn't eat. But he tries it all and then if he gets a flare up he knows to not try it again. We seriously forgot about salmon when we were eating dinner out one night and he had a delicious meal but it came on quick that night and was one of the worst attacks he has ever had. I just wish there was a way to reverse his system from being susceptible to it. Not sure how to go about that process or if it's even possible. I know that it's a build up of uric acid, so you would think once it's clear that it shouldn't be a forever issue. Or maybe his body just naturally produces too much on it's own and then if he adds extra then it's a problem? I just don't get it really. But he is able to control it very well at this point. He is just very careful.

We can do it!
Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2013 :  09:57:51 AM  Show Profile
Hi! In the book, "Folk Remedies from Around the World" written by anthropologist John Heinerman, PhD. it states that a remedy for Gout is to "Take four figs and boil them in a pint of water until half the water remains. Let it stand and cool before drinking. Repeat as much as is needed." I do not know if it works. Best to you. Annie

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - May 01 2013 :  7:29:49 PM  Show Profile
Weird as it seems, I am a female and have trouble with gout too. If I stay away from night shade veggies such as tomatoes, peppers, and potatoes my toe joint doesn't hurt. I eat them, I am in pain! Don't know if he has considered those foods.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 02 2013 :  03:29:41 AM  Show Profile
Jody - My parents live walking distance to the coast, and my dad fishes almost every day for their dinner... I wonder if fish from the ocean would have the same effect?

Annie - Thank you for sharing about the figs! Isn't it so true how often we find those old folk remedies really work! I'll let you know if he tries it!

And Kem - I wonder if he has a reaction to those veggies, too... I know for a fact they are a regular part of his diet! Interesting!

Thank you, girls! I'm definitely going to mention all of this to him! :)

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

TexasJo
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Jody
Berthoud CO
USA
161 Posts

Posted - May 02 2013 :  08:24:56 AM  Show Profile
Hi Nini -- Not sure about all fish, but I know Salmon and some shellfish have affected him. He is okay with Tilapia and other white fish so far. We have heard that crab and lobster are not good for gout, so he has stayed away from that. Poor guy!! We eat a lot of Tilapia though and it's never been a problem. And he's okay with steak and pretty much any red meat although we don't eat much red meat anyway. Mostly chicken, fish and tofu. Beans don't seem to effect him either, although they are the list. We are starting to think those that create those lists just don't know because I think differnt foods affect people differently. Just depends on how your body processes it I guess. Kind of frustrating though. My husband has only had about one flare up in two years, so I guess he has done pretty well. He does make sure to keep a good amount of that 100% Cherry Juice (organic) on hand.
I hope your son is able to find what works for him. It's not a fun process, that's for sure!!
Hugs,
Jo

We can do it!
Go to Top of Page

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - May 02 2013 :  08:54:18 AM  Show Profile
My husband is having problems with gout right now. He has had 2 shots in the past couple of weeks. Plus he is on medicine. He had blood work done and his uric acid level is low so the doctor is puzzled. His blood work came back perfect. He has tried everything from cherry juice . herbs, watching what he eats, soaking his feet and nothing has helped. He is about to give up.

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 02 2013 :  09:01:12 AM  Show Profile
Oh - it's my dad, Jo, not my son. I'm sorry for the confusion! I remember we were told a long time ago that people who develop shellfish allergies usually do so as a result of the iodine in the shellfish. It is not processed out of their system, and our bodies can only process so much in our lifetime. Once we've reached our limit, that's it, and the allergies set in. I'm wondering if that might be a reason that crab and lobster have an adverse affect? I don't know if that would be a problem with the salmon, though. I've never heard my dad complain after eating fish, but I'm definitely going to mention it to him, as well as about the black cherry juice.

I really appreciate everything you all have shared! Thank you!

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

TexasJo
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Jody
Berthoud CO
USA
161 Posts

Posted - May 02 2013 :  10:48:22 AM  Show Profile
Nini ---whoops, my mistake -- I got lost who was who. OOPS! Sorry! My understanding is shellfish is high in uric acid also, so that seems to be the issue for my husband. I know its the build up of uric acid and at the time my husband developed gout he had a huge amount of peanuts in his diet. He loves nuts and peanuts are full of it. So maybe it is similar to developing allergies -- once you max it out, you're done. EEEK! I was hoping that once he got his uric acid levels leveled out again to normal that he could go back to eating normally. He pretty much can -- but he is very careful. He makes sure that if he eats foods with uric acid that it's in moderation. For example, if he eats red meat and beans within the same week, he is not going to also have any asparagus. If he hasn't had the red meat or beans, then he will try a couple of small spears of asparagus and he doesn't have any flare ups. And he makes sure he has plenty of cherry juice (a glass everday!) to keep it in check. He is very careful not to over do any foods with uric acid. He never eats peanuts though anymore. He just doesn't want to risk it. He is happy with almonds and cashews. I guess his body just doesn't process uric acid well anymore. Thanks for sharing!! Our bodies are so weird --changing over time.
I hope all are doing well now. I know several people who the cherry juice works wonders for. But it has to be 100% cherry juice, not mixed with anything else. Can be hard to find sometimes, but it is out there. Best wishes for all.
Hugs,
Jo

We can do it!
Go to Top of Page

TexasJo
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Jody
Berthoud CO
USA
161 Posts

Posted - May 02 2013 :  10:57:17 AM  Show Profile
Dorinda, It's so hard! Hopefully with time it will subside. My husband had the same issue and truly was just a matter of time. Sometimes the pain just lingers. I think the crystals can remain in there even though the levels show low -- and it just takes time for the body to rid of them. It's so awfully painful. I'm sorry your hubby is dealing with it. Makes me cringe because I can remember the look on my husbands face when he was dealing with it. Sounds like he is doing all the right things and he needs to keep on doing them even though it doesn't seem to be working. Does he add cider vinegar to the hot water foot soaks? I think that helps to draw it out. I also have made sea salt foot soaks for my husband. When he is dealing with lots and lots of pain, he drinks the Cherry Juice in massive amounts. Then when it's under control (pain is gone) he continues with Cherry Juice every day - at least a glass a day for breakfast. He can't give up!! What types of herbs has he tried? How about Dragon oil? That has helped my husband tremendously also --- the Cayenne pepper and mint mixture just seems to do the trick. He swears by it when he has a flare up. I don't remember all the ingredients and we found it at an apothecary shop. I can find out for you though if you want.

We can do it!
Go to Top of Page

shawneefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

91 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
91 Posts

Posted - May 05 2013 :  1:24:49 PM  Show Profile
Thank you girls for all this useful information!

Jodi: So sorry your husband has to deal with this, too. My prayers go out for him. The black cherry juice - do you get that at the grocery store, or a health food store?

Rachel: I know he drinks lots of water, he works outside. He does watch his protein. Thanks for the herb suggestions. I was looking online, and saw stinging nettles to be good for flushing uric acid from joints. Do you or anyone else know if that is true? He has bouts of kidney stones, also.

Jollyquilter: Oh my gosh! Your poor husband - a ping pall ball size kidney stone has got to be more painful than the gout! I hope he is doing better now.

Nini: Thanks for the prayers - turkey -WOW - I know he eats lots of turkey. I'll have to inform him about that.

Annie: thanks for the book information. This sounds stupid, but, do they sell figs in the grocery store produce isle?? I don't recall seeing figs in the grocery.

Dorinda: Oh my-is your husband doing any better today??? What kind of shot did he get? My son got a non narcotic shot - can't remember the name - but he was walking on his foot by 5 o'clock the same day. Are you sure it's gout he has and maybe not something else? My prayers go out for him also -

Cozynana: So sorry to hear you suffer from it too. I do know it hits men much more than women. I actually don't know any women who have it. I guess our bodies take care of the situation better than a man's.

God bless you all, and I pray for a speedy recovery to everyone...
Linda

Go to Top of Page

TexasJo
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Jody
Berthoud CO
USA
161 Posts

Posted - May 08 2013 :  2:17:59 PM  Show Profile
Linda,
We get the Black Cherry Juice from King Soopers (Kroger stores) or in health food stores. He has been lucky enough to get it at King Soopers most of the time. Also, as far as herbs, I have also given him tea with Nettles or Red Clover. They both seem to help when its a really bad attack. I truly feel for your husband and hope he finds what works to keep it in check.
Hugs,
Jo

We can do it!
Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - May 09 2013 :  2:28:59 PM  Show Profile
Hi Linda,
Yes, they sell figs in the produce section of a grocery store. I have found them at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods, but when in season they should be readily available at most grocery stores.
Annie

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Gout - Help!!!!! I'm helpless... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page