lmckean
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Leevelyn
Richmond KY
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2006 :  1:05:23 PM  Show Profile
I'm treating my cat, that is now living outdoors, with Frontline Plus however, I've noticed fleas in my house! ARGH! Does anyone no of a non-toxic method of flea removal?

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2006 :  2:30:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Yes! sprinkle everything that is cloth in your house with borax if it is within 3 feet of the ground. Leave for two hours and the vacuum like crazy with a clean vacuum back. Then immediatly throw away the vacuum back outside in a plastic bag. Do this 2 or 3 times in a week and your fleas should be killed. The borax is a naturally occuring salt complex. It makes fleas in all stages of life dehydrate pretty much instantly and as the fleas dehydrate it kills them. Borax is safe and while toxic to pets in huge quantities- it is safe to use around pets. I looked it up and a cat would have to eat about half a box of borax in one sitting to cause a toxicity problem! Since borax tastes really horrid no pet that doesn't have some nuerological disorder will do that. They might lick a little to see what the new smell/taste is but will soon stop!

I had a horrible outbreak of fleas last year and this totally solved our problems.
Go to Top of Page

tiffany01
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Tiffany
Indiana
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2006 :  06:04:53 AM  Show Profile
This doesn't help your in-house flea problem but in the future, you can add apple cider vinegar to your cat's water to keep the fleas off. We found this tip in MaryJane's magazine and used it this summer with our cat and dog and it worked like a charm and we saved the money we would have spent on the chemical flea repellents. The ratio is 1 tsp apple cider vinegar to 1 qt. water. Add it gradually at first to let your cat adjust.
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Fleas...HELP! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page