Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Sick chicken? Next Topic  

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2013 :  2:03:10 PM  Show Profile
We have a hen that keeps spitting up water, like she can't keep anything down. Her crop feels fine, & last week I went to the coop a few times a day & picked her up, massaged that area, and held her upside down to help her spit up. Each day was less & less, & she seemed fine for about 4 days. Now she is doing the same thing. Any ideas?? Her backside looks fine, and she does not appear bloated.
Thanks!

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2013 :  2:24:57 PM  Show Profile
My hen was doing that and I gave her antibiotics for 5 days and went out later that day and she had passed. I don't have any idea what it was. I also wormed her thinking maybe that. She was only 4 years old. Hopefully someone can shed some light on it.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2013 :  3:13:48 PM  Show Profile
Have you tried giving her some yogurt? Or apple cider vinegar? I really have no idea what would be causing this. Amybe some clabbered milk? My hens love this. I hope someone else comes on here that knows what's wrong with her.

Kris

The good beekeeper is generally more or less cranky. C.P. Dadant

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2013 :  09:51:56 AM  Show Profile
Have you checked the inside of her mouth? Sometimes avian pox can make them appear 'drooly'. It causes cheesy looking sores in the mouth/throat. Otherwise, I am not sure. Is she pooping normally? I'd personally isolate her and get her under a small heat lamp. Any time you have a sick bird, additional heat really does help. Then you can monitor food/water intake and assess her more closely. I'd definitely want to know what her poo looks like.

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Sick chicken? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page