levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9392 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9392 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2013 :  5:37:31 PM  Show Profile
with getting rid of stinkbugs. We have had them in the house for a few years now. Everyone seems to have a problem with them so I don't know if it is like a swarming thing and they all decided to hang out around here or what.
I have yet to have anyone tell me that they have rid themselves of these. Last year was not to bad but the year before was horrible.
Just wondered if any of you gals know of something that will take care of them aside from an exterminator. Don't really want to go that route.
Of course they live up to their name too!
thanks for any input.

farm girl sister#43
http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2013 :  10:38:50 AM  Show Profile
I know y'all had a really bad time with them a couple of years ago. This year, we had a BUNCH ourselves. Honestly, I just vacuum them up. They smell like Dekuyper's Apple Pucker (a flavored liqueur) to me! So, the smell reminds me of tart apples, lol!

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2013 :  5:51:47 PM  Show Profile
Aren't they awful?!? Yuck.

So far, we're just catching and flushing, although sometimes they seem to want to get out of the house, and if we open a window, they'll make a break for it. I heard from a friend recently that you can make a trap with a jug of water by squishing a stinkbug around the rim and dropping it in. Supposedly it attracts other stinkers, who fall in and can't get out. I haven't tried it yet, but the next time I empty a white vinegar jug, I plan to. I'll report my experience.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2013 :  6:31:51 PM  Show Profile
I hate them... HATE them... We haven't had quite the infestion here that we've seen in nearby Pittsburgh, but I can tell you that we've had them even in winter. They freak me out. They come in the house on clothing, in grocery bags, through cracks and crevices... even through screens and air conditioners. We noticed them everywhere we went, and had to literally swipe them off the car when we were out at the market. I watched one crawl into my rear view mirror! I read somewhere that they are attracted to sunflowers, so I did without last year, but they were still here in droves. Unfortunately, there are no natural predators, either. They had a "how to" demo somewhere online that showed how to make a trap for them out of those tap lights and soda bottles on YouTube, but I don't have a link for you. Here is the news report about it on one of our local stations: http://www.wpxi.com/news/news/local/best-stink-bug-trap-ever-will-hit-store-shelves-sp/nFHq5/ It was simple as pie to make, and really inexpensive. If anyone has the how-to video, I sure would like to see it! I've already had a few in the house and it's only April! YUCK!

Good luck!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2013 :  6:37:53 PM  Show Profile
Aha! Wait - I found it... Here is the first report about these traps, and the link to the YouTube video is in the body of the report: http://www.wpxi.com/news/news/target-11-tests-7-homemade-stink-bug-trap/nD7sM/ And here is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwUuHhWYvDA

I can smell these stinkers long before we even see them. I think they smell like a nasty unwashed person, or nasty sour breath - not like sour apples, but definitely sour! I guess what they say is true: everything really IS better in Texas, Amanda! LOL! ;)

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2013 :  7:57:33 PM  Show Profile
Nini, I watched the video. Looks like a good project. I don't drink Pepsi, but I'll see if I can get an empty from someone. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2013 :  09:47:43 AM  Show Profile
Ha ha, well....some things are, for sure! Our stinkbugs smell good! :0) That being said, they are so extremely annoying. They really can fit into every nook and cranny.

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9392 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9392 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2013 :  12:31:01 PM  Show Profile
When my husband was removing part of the ceiling in our family room a couple years ago a bunch where up in there. We just keeping killing them or throwing them in the fire but we aren't using the wood stove just now. :) The dog kills them but then she can't stand the taste and does this weird hacking coughing thing. Does she learn.....NO. Just thinks it is her job like catching flies. I can't stand when they buzz ya. Anything near my head or hair drives my crazy and that is exactly what they do. I'm going to look into these ideas because there has to be a way to get rid of them.

farm girl sister#43
http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2013 :  12:46:57 PM  Show Profile
You know what really freaks me out most about them? They somehow always seem to come in through the window next to my bed. My biggest fear is that one will crawl into my ear while I'm sleeping. I know - I am such child. But I remember seeing a movie once (Clare Danes was in it, but I can't remember what it was at the moment) where a prisoner had a cockroach crawl in her ear as she slept, and it gave me the absolute whillies! That, plus knowing that it could decide to climb into my snoring mouth - eghads! Make my skin crawl!!!

I've been wondering, too - do you know or think that diatomaceous earth might be effective against them?

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Has anyone had success Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page