Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Bobby Pins lying around?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Bobby Pins lying around? Next Topic  

papersmiles
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Barbara
Bluffton IN
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2013 :  5:14:09 PM  Show Profile
I have been a crocheter for decades and am now teaching myself how to knit. I always seemed to be at odds with those little split ring plastic stitch marker thingies. Several years ago I found a box of bobby pins in an old keepsake package (not that I hang on to things forever....) and wondered how well they would work for marking the right side of projects and using as a stitch marker. At first I thought they would slide right off but the springy tension lets them dangle without wandering away . These little beauties also don't snag or split the yarn or thread.

Another thing I use them for is securing a hem that I am hand sewing rather than using pins that mark delicate fabrics.

Just thought I'd pitch my two cents worth into the pot. Have a great day of stitching.

Barbara

Aprons make the outfit!!!!!

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2013 :  8:53:36 PM  Show Profile
I often use bobby pins while I am crocheting, to mark my place! Sometimes I use a barrett or my cats will undo my work.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

jenne.f
True Blue Farmgirl

643 Posts

Jenne
Wagontown PA
USA
643 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2013 :  06:39:44 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the idea. What a neat solution!

~blessings~
Jenne
Farmgirl #4616

"Longin' to be farmin'.."
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

1979 Posts

Brenda
Jackson MI
USA
1979 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2013 :  3:15:17 PM  Show Profile
Barbara,

Love the hint, I've crocheted and knitted for years and can still learn something new. I have, also, taken plastic straws and cut little circles to use as stitch markers. It's cheap and works as good as purchased ones.

Thanks,
Brenda

Each day we add to our legacy--good or bad.
Our Daily Bread
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2013 :  06:49:36 AM  Show Profile
What a resourceful idea, Barbara. Thanks for sharing it.

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington

My blog, The Review-anista Reads http://friendsfunfabric.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - May 09 2013 :  10:40:26 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for sharing such a great idea! I've also used larger paper clips because the ring-type stitch markers gave me fits, too.

With 2 long-haired girls in my house, we have an overabundance of bobby pins - now we'll be able to make them do twice the work!

Wife of terrific hubby and mom to 2 teenagers, 2 bunnies, 2 geriatric goldfish, and the best dog in the world!

Check out my blog: http://www.suburbanprairiehomemaker.com
and follow me on Facebook (Suburban Prairie Homemaker), Twitter (@sphomemaker), and Pinterest (Suburban Prairie Homemaker)

Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Bobby Pins lying around? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page