Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Tatting class! I need another project like I....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Tatting class! I need another project like I.... Next Topic  

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - May 06 2013 :  7:44:24 PM  Show Profile
Need a hole in the head, but my husband played the Leo Coffee House on Sunday evening which is a local throwback to 1970 put on by some local folkies (that haven't changed since 1965 or so) called the Queen City Balladeers. Anyhoo, while he was playing and Violet was eating her weight in gluten free cookies, I was chatting up a woman who was tatting. She said they found each other via internet after thinking for years they were the last of a dying breed.

They teach class every other Monday night at the local library and sell a "beginner kit" for $10. I'm going to do it!

I remember my Great Grandmother tatting, but I had little interest as a child. Now I wish I'd taken the time. But, maybe I can make Gran proud if I take a few classes and really like it. Hopefully, it won't have the same yarn/string addiction that comes with knitting...I need to go to a Knitters Anonymous meeting for that!

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 06 2013 :  11:40:19 PM  Show Profile
I love tatting. I am hoping enough people will keep taking it up so it won't die. You will love it. It's super easy and fast to pick up. And the great thing about it, even quick things can be done. Like in a minute or two you can make little decorations to add to stationary/cards and envelopes and such as that. I made a website about it with some of my own patterns years ago, but I lost the website (can't remember the address or my password/login! lol)

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - May 07 2013 :  07:18:19 AM  Show Profile
You should so take those classes!
I've always wanted to learn to tat,my Grandmother used to tat as well as thread crochet and both of those things have dwindled in popularity so much I'm afraid that they will die out too so I'm determined to keep it going,I crochet with thread already but just haven't yet learned to tat but it is on my agenda.
I recently bought a sewing cabinet and was given some old sewing things with it and inside a tiny basket was a sterling silver old tatting shuttle and some very fine little pieces that were made on it,I don't know who made them but I was real pleased to have them and the shuttle and plan to get started soon.

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Nostalgic Needleworks http://www.etsy.com/shop/NostalgicNeedleworks
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - May 07 2013 :  08:31:17 AM  Show Profile
You should take those classes and in MaryJanes sewing book she has a tatting tutorial. Very helpful. I need hands on teaching. LOL MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - May 07 2013 :  10:29:15 AM  Show Profile
I would love to learn tatting, my dear neighbor Pat was going to teach me and the Lord took her home a year ago!! I would to learn to honor Pat!!

Lori

God has promised strength for the day, rest for the labor, light for the way, grace for the trials, help from above, unfailing sympathy and undying love.

We are here to love each other, serve each other and uplift each other.
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Tatting class! I need another project like I.... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page