TexasJo
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Jody
Berthoud CO
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2013 :  09:33:57 AM  Show Profile
Hello Farmgirls! I'm very excited to say that I just joined MJF a few days ago and want to introduce myself. I'm Jody and I can't believe there are 5000+ of you sisters out there! WOW! What an amazing group of women you all are and I am proud to now be part of such a fun, loving and wild group! I live near the Rocky Mountains in Northern Colorado. I am originally from Texas (born and raised) but moved around some at the start as an Air Force Brat, starting with a 4 year tour to Japan. Colorado is home now (27 years), but Texas will always be my true Home. I have raised two boys (who are also Texans) and a bunch of critters who have all flown the nest in some fashion or other. I joined the 50's Club a couple years back and now I raise only what I grow in the garden or in pots. I keep hinting at getting some chickens, but I guess they are still on a wish list as opposed to in my backyard. Working on that. I have a darling granddaughter (also a Texan) who spends much time with me and I am very thankful for her. I am a huge fan of all things herbs and making homemade soaps and skincare products with herbs and oils from herbs. I am just learning to quilt and how to use a sewing machine. I learned as a child how to work a needle in embroidery and love to hand sew and am teaching my granddaughter. I adore the outdoors and have spent many days/nights in the Rocky Mountains camping, hiking, and fishing, but back surgery slowed me down some in that dept. I still yearn to go as often as I can. Glamping would be a real treat! I have never lived on a farm, but I admire those who do and if I ever have the opportunity to, I would love to. I have been described by many to be a Girly-Girl/Tomboy. LOL. I love reading about all of you and am very happy to be part of your group. I hope I can give back what I have already received in my heart from just reading about you all. Thanks for being out there and for sharing.

We can do it!

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2013 :  09:54:35 AM  Show Profile
Hi Jody,
welcome to the forumn! Enjoy your time here.

Teri

"There are black sheep in every flock"

White Sheep Farm
www.whitesheepfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasJo
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Jody
Berthoud CO
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2013 :  09:55:59 AM  Show Profile
Thank you, Teri

We can do it!
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2013 :  11:01:27 AM  Show Profile
Welcome, Jody. You are a true farmgirl! My husband and I are moving to Texas at the end of this month. Enjoy your time with us.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

TexasJo
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Jody
Berthoud CO
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2013 :  12:34:22 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the welcome, Marly. I'm very jealous -- Moving to Texas? Lucky girl! Whereabouts are you going? I have lots of family down south there still and I visit as often as I can, but I try to go only when it's not in the heat of the summer because after so many years on Colorado I am sad to say I am no longer acclimated to the humidity on top of the heat there. I truly melt! hahaa. But you being from Louisiana I guess the weather won't be any change for you. I am from the San Antonio area, but I have family in the Dallas/Ft Worth area too. Its always a treat to visit the south. I sit back with a tall glass of sweet tea, and tell myself "I'm home again". And you don't even need lotion every five minutes! The humidity takes care of the skin that way. Enjoy and I hope to hear about your adventures there.
Jo

We can do it!
Go to Top of Page

TexasJo
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Jody
Berthoud CO
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2013 :  12:38:18 PM  Show Profile
By the way, can someone tell me what the red hexie is all about for us newbies? And how do I find out what the stars mean? Just wondering... (gosh I sound like my granddaughter...what do the stars mean? LOL...)

We can do it!
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

7626 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
7626 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2013 :  1:24:59 PM  Show Profile
Marly you are moving?

Jody Welcome to the farm it is an awesome place to be, I was born in Colorado and lived there 27 years before I moved here to California and I have been here since 1974 in the Northern part of the State.
I still love Colorado and keep up with the daily news there.
Welcome and have fun.
hugs
darlene

I have learned that to have a good friend is the purest of all God's gifts, for it is a love that has no exchange of payment.
by Frances Farmer

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.

I trust in you Jesus...
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Gladstone Mi.
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2013 :  1:35:16 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Jody. Sounds like you are aready a true farmgirl. Looking forward to knowing you better. I am from northern Michigan, where we are still getting snow!!!!

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasJo
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Jody
Berthoud CO
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2013 :  2:33:28 PM  Show Profile
Hi Darlene, Thanks for the welcome. Where did you live in Colorado? That's funny you were here 27 years and that's how long I have been here (so far). Where is Loleta, CA? I have a brother in Roseville who has also lived in Redding, Pacific Grove and Carmel. Are you close to Redding?

We can do it!
Go to Top of Page

TexasJo
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Jody
Berthoud CO
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2013 :  2:47:48 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Janet and hello! I'm glad to meet you. Northern Michigan, eh? I have a sis in White Lake, Michigan. I haven't yet visited her there, but look forward to checking out that part of our country some day. I have only been East once (to Boston) when I was in high school, but I truly want to see more of the East and Northern parts. We have been having some Spring like weather here (off and on). This past week has been a mix of Spring with Old Man Winter passing through. I guess he can't just stay away from the Rockies either! Last week we thought we were in for the biggest storm of the season, but it fizzled out and we didn't get a snow day. They closed many of the schools in prep for it, but lo and behold, nothing but a few inches. Another storm on its way here, I heard. Might bring more than last time, but it's hard to say. My poor flowers are quite confused and I am afraid some will not be showing off their beauty when the Real Spring arrives. Blast! Oh well,,, sometimes that's just how it is. We do need the moisture, so I am not going to complain. (too much). ;) It's great to meet so many women from all over! Thanks for the welcome!

We can do it!
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

7626 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
7626 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2013 :  4:33:35 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jody,
Redding is about 100 miles East of Eureka and Roseville is towards Reno I think further over. I am south of Eureka about 11 miles and you can see the ocean and the Redwoods.
I am in the Eel River Valley area and 7 miles from Ferndale where you cross the Fernbridge to get there. Google Fernbridge CA.
I lived in Jefferson County mostly I lived in Arvada, and Wheatridge. and I lived in Barnum before I moved here, west of Golden.
I moved before the built it totally up to the mountains.
I remember being at Berthoud Pass just as winter started, The snow flakes were coming down so big and beautiful, I can see it now and boy was I glad to get home. It was beautiful though. Good memories though.
have a wonderful Sunday
hugs
darlene

I have learned that to have a good friend is the purest of all God's gifts, for it is a love that has no exchange of payment.
by Frances Farmer

Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.

I trust in you Jesus...
Go to Top of Page

TexasJo
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Jody
Berthoud CO
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2013 :  5:08:45 PM  Show Profile
Hi Darlene, My brother loved the Redding area, up north there in CA, but his job transferred him back down to Roseville (quite a distance south). I think it's kind of near Sacramento, but not sure. Your area sounds wonderful! Many, many people think of Berthoud Pass when I tell them that's where I'm from, but I am a long way from there. Berthoud Pass is above Denver, in the mountains. I'm actually way up north in the State close to Fort Collins and only an hour South of Cheyenne, Wyoming. Our little town is just east of the mountains, almost in the foothills, but not quite. Denver has built up so much and the surrounding towns are spreading quite far, so we moved as far north as we could almost 20 years ago without making it too hard to commute to Denver for my job. Since we were traveling to the mountains every weekend to camp, we wanted an easier route than I70 where the traffic is horrendous due to the skiers and it being the closest route from Denver. We hit the mountains in the northern part of the state now where it's less traveled. I remember seeing the Redwoods as a child and was amazed by them and I have it on my list to visit them again someday (hopefully). I am kind of a freak for trees! Spent many days in trees as a child. LOL. I am sure it's beautiful there where you are. I miss the ocean although my experience with the ocean is not as grand as it is out where you are since I only had the gulf area to head to from San Antonio. Do you collect sea glass? ;)
Enjoy your evening!
Jo

We can do it!
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

7626 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
7626 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2013 :  5:32:14 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jo,

You know I love sea glass and some friends gave me some but I have never been to Ft Bragg Glass beach to get some. some day I hope. I would love to get some of the glass.
I see what you mean about Berthoud and I may have been there too as my dad you to take us fishing up there by Fort Collins and I don't remember now where we were exactly up there because I think I was 10 but we fished alot up in Puedre Canyon alot. and went into Cheyenne once or twice and other places. Have you been there? I loved camping there and hearing the river run close by and always tangling my line and my dad getting it untangled much to his chagrin.
Thanks for making me remember.
I do love these trees, they are so beautiful, so big and grand. I am more of a forest person than an ocean person but it is great to see both. there is nothing like being in the woods in the trees and hearing the buzzing of the bees and sound of the birds and the frogs, and the wind rushing through the trees on a warm summer day.
I love it.
You enjoy yours too
darlene

by Frances Farmer

I trust in you Jesus...
Go to Top of Page

TexasJo
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Jody
Berthoud CO
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2013 :  06:15:57 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Darlene, I haven't ever heard of Ft. Bragg Glass beach before. That sounds like the place to be if you are looking for sea glass! Interesting. I will look into that. I have spent a lot of time on the Poudre River and in that Canyon. We camp in and around the Walden area, so the Poudre Canyon is our route. I have a favorite fishing spot through there. We didn't make it up that way last year after the fire, so I have no idea how the canyon looks now, but we are going to try to get up that way this summer. I'm hoping the little abandoned cabin that we fish near is still standing. The way they described the direction of the fire, I fear it may be gone. I haven't fished anywhere in Fort Collins, although I have hiked around Horsetooth Reservoir -it's pretty up in there also. I wonder if that's where your father took you? I have been to Cheyenne quite a few times over the years, especially to go to Cheyenne Frontier Days for concerts and rodeos. We had a friend some years back that was with the Adams County Posse and rode in the parade every year so we camped with the Posse a few times in a valley. That was great fun! I, too, am much more of a forest person rather than an ocean person. Nothing like being on top of a mountain somewhere at treeline, basking in the morning sun on side of a hill with the chipmunks chattering at you and the wind swaying the trees. Aaaaahhhh...... :)
I woke to snow falling fast and heavy this morning, and heard on the radio the highway is closed up north already, so it looks like I have a snow day. Happy Monday!
Jo

We can do it!
Go to Top of Page

Kirksmom71
True Blue Farmgirl

873 Posts

Mel
Dallas Texas
USA
873 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2013 :  08:36:27 AM  Show Profile
Hi there Jody.....Glad you could join us here! It's been awhile since I've actually been on here but saw that you were new and from Texas! Thought I'd say "Howdy" from Dallas/Addison. Been in Texas for 20 years. Have 'kin' in Windsor Colorado and my nephew (Air Force) and his family are in Monument but on the move to Birmingham in a month. When the kids were young we camped in the Rockies....so beautiful! Snow? 75 degrees here today! :) Again......WELCOME!!!

My best to all,
Mel

Sassy City Girl with Farmgirl Fantasies!
Go to Top of Page

TexasJo
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Jody
Berthoud CO
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2013 :  09:29:37 AM  Show Profile
Howdy Mel! Yep, I'm from Texas! And Proud of it, of course. I have a brother in Red Oak and works in Richardson, so I've spent some time in your area too. 75 is real Spring weather, but I am getting used to Springtime in the Rockies with snow storms. Note, I have been here 27 years and am still getting "used to" what spring time brings around here. We have even had snow on Mother's Day before! I live very near Windsor! Just down the road a piece. :) Thanks for the Welcome!! It's good to be here and great getting to know all the sistas here.

We can do it!
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9384 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9384 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2013 :  10:43:37 AM  Show Profile
Welcome to the forum Jody. By now I am sure you have figured out the Hex as I see you have one and also the stars. If you still know about them they change as the number of your posts change. I am a New England gal myself and have been around the states. (husband was in the service for many years) We live about 5 hours from where I grew up but I still don't get there very often. My parents became southern birds once we all left home. Now my dad is going to move back up here with us this summer.
Anyway, enough about me welcome again and I hope you enjoy every minute you spend here with us.

farm girl sister#43
http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

TexasJo
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Jody
Berthoud CO
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2013 :  11:18:21 AM  Show Profile
Hi Denise, Thanks for the welcome! I am truly enjoying my time at MJF. It's great to meet so many people from all over. I have not figured out the HEX yet. Can you tell me what it is? I thought maybe the stars were about the number of posts when I noticed I received one then two. But what is the Hex? It seems the Hex was there from the start.
As a military brat, we moved some, but not much. Our first move was to Japan and then returned to the States in '72 and ended up in Spokane, Washington. I loved it there, but was only there for 6 months! From there to Denver for a couple of years and then back home to San Antonio. Returned to Colorado in '86, but that was not due to military - I was out on my own by then. That will be nice to have your dad close by again, I'll bet. I miss my dad terribly -- he's still in SA, and will never move here due to the cold. He would rather be hot than cold. My brothers both moved to CA after moving out, but one followed my back down to TX and then was mad when I left to move to CO. :/ oops... I miss having enough family nearby, but I was thrilled when my oldest son moved back from TX to CO. He went to college in SA and then settled there for about 5 years, but he missed Colorado too much and hated the heat. So he's close by now. :) Would love to hear about your travels.

We can do it!
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9384 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9384 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2013 :  1:57:37 PM  Show Profile
The hex is when you join up to the sisterhood which I am assuming you have done since I see one over your name. You usually get something in the mail for joining the Sisterhood. You will get a farm girl number also.

farm girl sister#43

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

TexasJo
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Jody
Berthoud CO
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2013 :  2:13:52 PM  Show Profile
Ohhh...I see, Denise! Thanks for clarifying that! Does it not stay on there always -- or is it just temporary when one is new? Brian wrote to me and told me I was Farmgirl #5000 and that I would receive my package in the mail. I see that you are a Farmgirl also, but no hex? You are Farmgirl #43 --you were part of the first women to join, eh? Sorry for so many silly questions... just trying to figure it all out. :) Thanks for helping.

We can do it!
Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

1650 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
1650 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2013 :  2:38:41 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jody so glad to meet you and welcome to the Farm. You will love it here.

Hugs Marlee

God is the painter, he paints the picture. And his son builds it, for he is the Master Carpenter!

Silly Boys Trucks Are For Girls
Go to Top of Page

TexasJo
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Jody
Berthoud CO
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2013 :  3:39:01 PM  Show Profile
Hi Marlee, you are another Louisiana Farmgirl, huh? Nice to meet you! I am truly enjoying my first couple of days here. Everyone is so inspiring and helpful. It's been great! What do you love best about being a Farmgirl?

We can do it!
Go to Top of Page

TexasJo
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Jody
Berthoud CO
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2013 :  3:41:36 PM  Show Profile
Oh, and Hugs backatcha, Marlee! I meant to include that, but my fingers sometimes go faster than I can think... lol

HUGS from
Farmgirl #5000
Jo

We can do it!
Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

1650 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
1650 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2013 :  4:17:09 PM  Show Profile
I think the best thing about being a Farmgirl is no matter what you need, if it is support, encouragement, knowledge about something... etc. And so much more.

I am a Louisiana Farmgirl, although grew up in Indiana. But been here 28 years. Jody you will have wonderful Farmgirl sisters that will enrich your life more than you can imagine. Welcome home sister.

Hugs Marlee

God is the painter, he paints the picture. And his son builds it, for he is the Master Carpenter!

Silly Boys Trucks Are For Girls
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9384 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9384 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2013 :  4:37:50 PM  Show Profile
I joined when they first started the sisterhood. I am no longer subscribed to the sisterhood part.
there is never a silly question.

farm girl sister#43

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

TexasJo
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Jody
Berthoud CO
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2013 :  6:10:34 PM  Show Profile
Oh my, Marlee, but you brought tears to my eyes. Home indeed. It does feel like a large family of sisters on here. I have been reading and reading - old posts, new posts and I have to say I am so very much touched by all the love, support and caring going on here. I knew it was going to be something I would like, but I am at a loss for words as to how I feel right now. What a wonderful thing that Mary Jane has started here and all these beautiful women coming together to share something that I don't know how to describe. I guess I have been quite starved for family of late and now I can't stop crying. Thanks for the welcome!

We can do it!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic New Sister Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page