Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Family Matters
 Need advice on how to handle Trichotillomania
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Family Matters: Previous Topic Need advice on how to handle Trichotillomania Next Topic  

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3463 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3463 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2013 :  12:57:39 PM  Show Profile
I would really be grateful for any holistic approaches any of my wonderful farmgirls might know of or have had experience with.
Long story short, goes back a few months to when my 9 year old decided to pull out her eyebrows. Had a talk and she left them alone for a bit and then back at it. Last week she came to me and said, " mommy I have started pulling out my hair and I do not know why" the absolute worst feel came over me as I searched mentally how to reply. But we talked and I asked her if something was bothering her she said " no". I then asked her when she felt she would pull and she said during school or at night. Well we do homeschool and she struggles a bit with reading and writing. (Whole different story, this year we have been adjusting with right brain learning styles) so I have been really being sensitive to her during those times of each day.
What next? The Internet paints a horrific picture of children with huge bald spots and some completely bald. I really do not want her being medicated. I thought I would try herb teas from my garden. Camomile, pineapple sage, and lemon balm. Maybe to help calm her during the day at school and again before bed. But does anyone have any other suggestions? I am praying for answers to this horrible time in our lives.

Blessings
~Kelly~

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2013 :  1:41:24 PM  Show Profile
I am not trying to be mean, and I'm not trying to force my opinion on you. BUT, I know that from what I have heard of this, you have a small window while they are young to help change this. I would ASAP find a ped, that can recommend, a therapist that specializes in this. I would NOT medicate her...she needs to learn other dealing techniques.

Personally I would call Dr. Laura (the radio person) even if I don't agree with every thing she says she is a real dr (psych kind) and ask her what kind of therapist you need to be looking for for your dd, and what kind of treatment (she is against medication children, so don't worry she won't be reccomendding medication). She may recommend hypno therapy though or something, I don't know. But, she will know the exact kind of therapist you need to be looking for. I know you need to try to do it sooner then later so that she doesn't get too attached to this behavior.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3463 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3463 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2013 :  2:10:43 PM  Show Profile
Heather, yes that is getting done, the dr apt. I just know I will not agree with medication. So I do hope there is an alternative way to go about it. I certainly do not want it to become worse. Thank you for your opinion to my very upsetting issue.

Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2013 :  4:40:02 PM  Show Profile
In addition to checking with the doctors for the medical side of this issue, perhaps have her try some Reiki or relaxation therapies might help. Listening to Deepak Chopra talk is very soothing for me (doesn't really matter what he's talking about his voice is just very calming for some reason) and his guided meditations are pretty good. IS she getting upset at a particular time or when she has to do particular things (as you said she struggles with reading/writing) maybe have some calming music in the background might help. EFT might also be very helpful to her. I have a Reiki workbook and I believe I still have some EFT materials in pdf (if not it's easy enough to find them online) that I can send you if you'd like. The herb teas are a great idea as well to help her relax and be calm.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

True enlightenment is nothing but the nature of one's own self being fully realised-- His Holiness the Dali Lama

www.madameapothecary.com
Go to Top of Page

sjmjgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

566 Posts

Stephanie
Mt. Vernon Iowa
USA
566 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2013 :  5:08:05 PM  Show Profile
Kelly, have you thought about using essential oils? There are many that help with anxiety which, as I understand it, is a trigger. There is a great website that has many recipes and easy to use info,campwander.blogspot.com/. I will say that she uses DoTerra brand exclusively, but also makes it very clear that any brand you choose is fine. I would check out the blends called Peaceful Child and Jeddys Blend. Hope that helps!

Farmgirl Sister # 3810

Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
- Dalai Lama

April is Autism Awareness month. Autism affects 1 in 88 children (1 in 54 boys, including my son). Go to http://www.autismspeaks.org/ to learn more and help Light It Up Blue on April 2nd!

Edited by - sjmjgirl on Apr 08 2013 5:18:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3463 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3463 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2013 :  5:55:20 PM  Show Profile
Rachel..I will look into reiki and relaxation therapies but if you have anything you no longer need I would be interested. I will email you.

Stephanie...essential oils are a great idea, I have a few already and I am definitely going to look at the blog you suggest.

We are starting with lemon balm tea and lemon balm tinctures as well. I am hoping it will relieve some of the stress she feels. Although she just keeps telling me she is sure not worried or stressed. She is a very happy girl with a wonderful personality. Just mostly gets unhappy during language lessons and I think night time alows her mind to wonder.

Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page
  Family Matters: Previous Topic Need advice on how to handle Trichotillomania Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page