True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2013 :  07:21:05 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls!

My parents live in an area where the soil is almost completely clay. Every year, my stepdad maintains a cozy little entertaining area in the back yard, surrounded by sea grasses and a few plants that will grow in just about any soil, but he has been so frustrated in not being able to grow fresh tomatoes and other vegetables they truly enjoy. Every summer when we visit, he and I discuss all the different ways he has tried to amend the soil in the past. He has found that he goes through all that work, but the produce they receive is minimal, and then he has to start the entire process all over again this year. It's too hard on his back, and feels like a futile effort. Very frustrating for him, to say the least. I was doing a little research last night and came across straw bale raised garden beds. I think this would be a very good, viable option for him - one that he would really be excited about. But before I send him the information, do any of you have any experience with this type of garden? Do you have any special insight for me to share with him? What types of vegetables and fruits do you grow this way? There is nothing more I would love to give him as a pre-Father's Day this gift this year than a nice, little easy care garden with the promise of fresh tomatoes, lettuces and other delicious things! :)

<I had also thought maybe a permaculture-type hill would be another option, but I don't think his back could take the work.>

Thanks so much for your help!

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2013 :  09:48:19 AM  Show Profile
Nini, I've read that they only last for about a year before you have to turn them into mulch, but if that's not an issue, then it looks like a fun way to garden that's easy to weed and keep up with. I've been considering it too, but my sweetie has decided to use up extra wood flooring to make raised beds for me. I've read that the bales have enough weeds and seeds that they sprout, but the weeds are super easy to pull. I think that you should put some kind wood stakes or posts in the corners to keep them from bowing out there. I was going to get strong plastic baling twine and wrap round the whole thing a couple of times myself. I hope that some ladies with more advice pop on and give you something more useful since I've never actually made a straw bale bed.

I think it would be a wonderful father's day gift =}

Smiles ! =}

You must do the thing you think you cannot do
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Annika
Farmgirl & Sister #13

http://thegimpyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2013 :  10:35:12 AM  Show Profile
Very good advice, Annika! I was reading that as the straw decomposes, you just build upon it again each year, adding another bale of straw and the some soil/compost mixture before planting. The previous year's straw and growth could either just be left as is, or he could chop it up with a hoe or shovel - it would be a natural rich compost to build upon. Then all he would need to do is add to it every year. In effect, he could avoid any kind of tilling at all, which really would be a blessing on his back. Eventually, he'll have a nice little garden plot to play with every year with very little work or hassle! I love that! I really think he would, too! :) You're right, though, I think adding some sort of support at the corners and sides would be wise. I was thinking that the string holding the bale together might not hold for very long once roots start growing and the weather starts working its magic!

We were thinking of putting a few items together and bringing them with us on our next visit: a few bales of straw, some home-made compost from our pile, a bag of organic garden soil, a few transplants and some seeds from my collection. We could probably have him up and running in an hour or two! I am so excited!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2013 :  2:29:29 PM  Show Profile
Nini,
That sounds like a wonderful idea! I do remember reading a fairly indepth article on this in mayber Mother Earth New? Hmm, cant remember for sure where I saw it.
I think it is most certainly worth a try, and if it doesnt work out he really hasnt lost anything since he doesnt really have a garden anyway!
Great idea! I'm sure he wont be able to thank you enough!
Let us know what you decide and how it works out!
Hugs,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

View my New Blog:
http://simplesuburbanpleasures.blogspot.com

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds that you plant.
~Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2013 :  2:36:29 PM  Show Profile
Laurie - Do you remember when you might have seen the article? I'll try to find it! I'm going to head over to their website now... Thanks so much! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2013 :  2:44:45 PM  Show Profile
Well, I did just do a little search on their website, but the only thing I could find was about using hay bales as a raised bed border. In other words, you create a raised bed using the bales as sides and then fill the inside with soil and compost. What I want to do with my stepdad is create a garden in the straw bale itself, adding soil and compost on top and then planting the transplants and seeds directly into the bale, if that makes sense. I'm going to do a little more research, though, Laurie. It could be that I'm just typing in the wrong key words! Thank you for the suggestion! :) Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2013 :  4:41:28 PM  Show Profile
I've done this. It's the same thing as making a raised bed with 4 or more bales, except you just scoop out one bale and fill the center with soil. You can stick onion sets right down in the outer edges of the straw, too, with some handfuls of soil. They grow fine that way, are good companions for tomatoes, and make the bed especially interesting. Your dad could even put small potted plants on the bales, too, or squish them down into the edges of the straw. Could be quite a conversation-starter for the "cozy entertaining area." It would break down awfully fast, though. A 4-bale arrangement wouldn't take up too much space and would offer lots more options, as well as being sturdier for maybe two years if it's cared for after the "harvest" is in.

Container gardening is also a possibility. When I lived in the city and had only a balcony for a garden, "Patio" tomatoes in a big clay pot always produced well for me. They are compact and the fruit is delicious. I used to surround the plant with chives and creeping thyme to give it a little more interest. And what about hanging baskets for cherry tomatoes?
Go to Top of Page

chickenmom
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Toni
Tucumcari NM
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2013 :  6:12:28 PM  Show Profile  Click to see chickenmom's MSN Messenger address
Mother Earth ran an article several years ago about Ruth Stout's "no work" gardening. Been wanting to try it myself, hay and straw both are hard to come by here right now because of drought. But the concept worked for Ruth, goole her and you should find the Mother Earth article and more. There's also a great film called Back to Eden. You can go online to www.backtoedenfilm.com and watch the movie online for free. He uses a notill mulching concept also. Good luck!
toni
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2013 :  6:58:52 PM  Show Profile
Thank you, girls! :) I can't wait to try this myself! I think my step dad will love it, truthfully!

Mara, you make it sound so easy! Do you have to do anything special to protect your bale garden, other than bracing up the sides? And when you did it, did you find any pest problems? I think he might like this better than a container garden because each year it can compost down and he can keep adding to it. Eventually, he'll have a nice little garden plot with a minimum amount of work! SO COOL!

Thank you SO much for the information, Toni - I am going to see what I can find right now. Also - I have heard of the film, but have never had opportunity to watch it. I'm going to set some time aside to do that this coming weekend! THANK YOU!!!

SO cool!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2013 :  7:16:54 PM  Show Profile
We have grown potatoes in straw with good results. But why don't you try container gardening, almost anything will grow in a pot.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2013 :  7:27:49 PM  Show Profile
Hi Bonnie! He won't do pots - I'm not sure why, exactly. I think he's concerned about managing the water or something. I have a couple of really big pots that I've grown different things in each year - lettuce and tomatoes, flowers, carrots... you name it. It's just his preference, that's all. I think you're right, though; a couple of perfectly appointed pots around the patio area would be great! :) His main complaint is he'd like a garden, but all the toil and amendments to his soil is a lot of work that really doesn't pay off very well and is very hard on his back. I was thinking raised straw beds might cover a few of the issues he has to contend with, you know? Also - I'm so excited! I haven't had too much success with potatoes, so now that you've said that you've had good results growing them in straw, I just might try it myself! If there's anything special you think I should do, please let me know! Thank you! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Erin Rock
True Blue Farmgirl

103 Posts

Erin
Grand Blanc MI
USA
103 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2013 :  06:50:20 AM  Show Profile
I'm so glad to hear this topic being discussed my husband and I are talking about getting some straw bales in addition to our garden boxes.

Erin Rock (sister #4131)
Tree Huggin'
Bunny Lovin'
Dirt Worshipper!
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2013 :  07:54:38 AM  Show Profile
Another thing to consider is green manure to break up the clay and start it toward being productive soil. We planted buckwheat and it made a tremendous difference. Start with the straw but consider improving the soil too!

Here is one source of information.
herbgarden.about.com/od/fertilizer/a/greenmanure.htm

Susan

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

becky 2002
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Becky
Williamsport Ohio
94 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2013 :  2:33:22 PM  Show Profile
I was following this conversation but have never posted before - I wanted to offer this bit of information - when you google a garden subject, add ,ext to the end and information from State Universities will be at the top of the search list. Example - straw bale gardening, ext - brings up a very informative bulletin from the University of West Virginia. You can do it with any gardening topic or plant. It has been a life saver for me - good luck with the straw bale garden - I would like to know how it turns out!
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2013 :  2:53:34 PM  Show Profile
Becky, that's a wonderful suggestion! I hope you'll post more. You seem like a very clever farmgirl :)
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Straw Bale Gardening? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page