sissarge
True Blue Farmgirl

502 Posts

Linda
Montgomery Texas
USA
502 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2013 :  7:56:57 PM  Show Profile
who uses it? I thought I read on here that someone used black plastic in their garden. I would like to know just in between rows, to help cut down weeds, do you lay it in-between plants. How thick do you lay it. One layer or more. Can someone help me to know what to do with it. Thanks Farmgirl #946 Linda

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2013 :  8:08:27 PM  Show Profile
Linda, I use layers of newspaper in between my rows. It works great to keep weeds down, plus it can be composted into the garden in the fall. I use about 12 sheets for each layer, and make sure to keep it moist so it does not blow away.

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2013 :  8:18:13 PM  Show Profile
I covered my empty beds last fall with black plastic. We get terrible weeds in spring, lots of rain. I had done the same thing the year before in only one bed and it made a huge difference. So last year I did it for all my empty beds. I take the plastic off when ready to rotatil and then plant. It works well. This year I put plastic under my bark mulch that I have around my blueberry, cranberry, and goji berry plants. Along my walking paths I use layers of cardboard and I plan to mulch over with straw or compostable bark mulch.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

sissarge
True Blue Farmgirl

502 Posts

Linda
Montgomery Texas
USA
502 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2013 :  12:01:22 PM  Show Profile
Thanks ladies, for your help. I think since I was given all this black plastic, I am going to use it. My garden has been tilled and is planted everything is up now and doing good, I am going to use it down the center aisles, and will just have to work the top of the rows next to the plants, this has got to help some or lots. someone else told me to lay some dirt on ends for wind control, or to put some bricks or rocks. Guess I will see how it works. Save some back breaking work. I have heard about the newspaper, and that would be good to till in. Use to get the leftover papers from the local convenience store, but now, leftovers go back to the carrier for recycling. Again, thanks for your help! Farmgirls are the best! Linda Farmgirl #946
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13627 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13627 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2013 :  4:34:43 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Linda,
We use black plastic ALL the time in our garden. We buy it from the paint department at Walmart. I buy the long, narrow rolls (3 feet wide) and I buy the bigger sheets (10 x 20, I think . . something like that). For the things I plant in rows I use the rolls, lay it down, leaving whatever I think I need between for planting (usually things like beans, carrots, beets, lettuce, etc).

For tomato plants, squash (summer and/or winter), pumpkins I use the big sheets. We lay it ALL out, secure it down. with metal frames that are used to be part of the shelving units at Walmart. We also use old tires and cement block as necessary to hold it all down. Then I cut holes in the plastic and plant my plants.

One layer is all we use . . . it does an amazing job on keeping weeds down and keeping moisture in the ground. We are high altitude, dry climate. When the garden is done, but usually in the spring, I pull it all up and re-use it if it's still in decent condition. We pull it up so that we can till and fertilize the garden for the next year. And, I don't usually plant the same things in the same area of the garden every year.

I'll ALWAYS use it!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Black Plastic in Garden Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: