country roads
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Melissa
Shinglehouse Pa
USA
443 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2013 :  05:03:21 AM  Show Profile
Morning girls! I am planning on planting an herb garden this year. So far I have seeds for Garlic Chives, Sweet Basil, and Oregano. I also want to buy seeds for Rosemary, Thyme, regular Chives and Garlic bulbs. I was just wondering what everyone else has growing in their herb garden? Do you have yours in its own little bed? Any suggestions for herbs I haven't thought of. Oh! Maybe some Spearmint too.

Take care, Melissa.

Farmgirl # 352

~Think happy thoughts~

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2013 :  05:40:30 AM  Show Profile
It all depends on what you like to use. Every year I add a few more. We use some herbs for teas, some for baking and cooking, and some for homemade goat's milk soap. I started to add some for medicinal uses as well. I am going to dry more Thyme this year, as it came in handy for home remedies (hot tea). I love making spearmint/green tea (iced) in the summer. Yum. I do grow what you mentioned, plus parsley, dill (for pickle canning etc), lemon for soap and teas, Cilantro (salsa's etc), Marjoram, Tarragon (great for fish etc). I like to add some of my herbs to cookies, breads, potatoes, etc. I also added more sage to my garden. I love it on roasted turkey, and it makes a healthy tea as well. Golly....there is so much you can do with an herb garden. I love basil in our squash salads we make (spaghetti squash) over summer too.

My Life: http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/
Recycle Ideas: http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

country roads
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Melissa
Shinglehouse Pa
USA
443 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2013 :  05:48:06 AM  Show Profile
I'll have to add Dill and Cilantro to my list then, cause I had planned on making pickles and salsa this summer. What are good herbs foe teas? What home remedies do you use Thyme for? I'll grow some Parsley too, I forgot about that. Wow! So much to learn!

Take care, Melissa.

Farmgirl # 352

~Think happy thoughts~
Go to Top of Page

Dirtduchess
True Blue Farmgirl

693 Posts

Patsy
Decatur TX
USA
693 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2013 :  07:02:06 AM  Show Profile
Don't plant mint in the ground in your herb garden. It takes over like honey suckle. I usually plant it in a big pot.

Patsy
Farmgirl 4678

Leave room in your garden for the fairies to dance.
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2013 :  07:11:22 AM  Show Profile
Here a lot of herbs are grown as annuals, but I bring some of them in over the winter. I especially love sage, perennial here, for tea and cooking. We put mint in the orchard and it crowds out some weeds and smells amazing when we walk there.
I like tarragon but have found it hard to get seeds locally.
Susan

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4738 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4738 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2013 :  08:29:46 AM  Show Profile
I have parsley and basil growing in the living room window sill right now. If spring ever sticks around, I will grow tarragon, rosemary, mint, and chives. They'll have to be in container this year since we moved to a townhouse. Hopefully they will still be delicious.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2013 :  09:54:27 AM  Show Profile
I just planted 2 Orange mint plants in my herb-flower rock garden. I planted dill a few days ago. And I already had sage from last year. In the raised cow trough herb garden, I have rosemary, oregano, chives, basil, mint. I need more thyme. And time too! I love thyme. I make feta goat cheese and put lots of herbs in my marinated feta cheese. It's so fun going out tot he herb gardens and picking fresh herbs any time I need them.

Have fun with yours, Melissa. I have never started with seeds though. I want to have something fast, so I buy plants. And seems like rosemary would just take too long from seeds. I do need some more.

Lemon balm is really good too. I use it in tea. Plus peppermint. I like a lot of mint growing all over the place.

I amlmost forgot the Feverfew I just got the other day too. It has pretty little yellow daisy like flowers. I also have chamomile. It's so pretty and makes great tea too.

Kris

The good beekeeper is generally more or less cranky. C.P. Dadant

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Apr 11 2013 09:55:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

country roads
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Melissa
Shinglehouse Pa
USA
443 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2013 :  05:22:07 AM  Show Profile
Thanks girls. Good to know about the mint Patsy, I wouldn't want it to crowd everything else out. It's looking like my herb garden is going to be bigger than I originally planned! Will the garlic be ok in same bed as the other herbs? I'll be leaving a empty spot where I'll plant the garlic this fall. I can't wait to start my seeds this weekend! :)

Take care, Melissa.

Farmgirl # 352

~Think happy thoughts~
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2013 :  06:38:24 AM  Show Profile
I don't do a lot from seed because I've never had much luck that way (especially with that darn chamomile!) but I do have herb beds and I plant mint in pots. I started out REALLY over zealous the first year and had things that I never ever used and couldn't even find recipes that called for an amount worth growing! So, I narrowed it down over the years and what I use all the time is this:

Sage, oregano, chives, rosemary, summer savory, thyme, AND A HUGE PATCH OF BASIL, lavender, chamomile, lemon verbena and mint in pots.

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Herbs Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page