kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2013 :  4:17:53 PM  Show Profile

I finally got some stinging nettles! I went to the farmer's market last week because someone was bringing some. I got there and there were a few people in front of me. The guy that was next bought the last 2 bags. So I was there early today and the 3rd person in line and got 2 bags! I have never had any and have been reading about them and how wonderful they are. So wanted to try some. I also got some baby collards and just now sauteed some with some nettles and garlic.

Has anyone else had them before? She said to just fix them like you would spinach. Or in a tea. I was so scared to touch them because I have heard the stingers really sting bad. And to not eat the stems? So I cut all the leaves off.

I'll make some tea with some of them too.

Kris

The good beekeeper is generally more or less cranky. C.P. Dadant

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2013 :  5:52:42 PM  Show Profile
Nettles hurt like hell if you touch them where they grow, or before cuttings have dried. They lose that ability to do that when you dry the leaves. The tea made from nettles is very nutritious and tasty. It ices nicely, too. I make mine with a little honey.

In herbal medicine, fresh nettles can be used topically as a rubefacient to relieve certain types of pain.
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2013 :  6:32:51 PM  Show Profile
They are growing on our property so yes I have used them--alot. You can make a pesto out of them and a I had a good veggie dip using them. Enjoy!

I'm not old just delightfully retro!
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2013 :  07:12:26 AM  Show Profile
I've never eaten them, but I've taken them in capsules (dried) as a natural anti-histamine. Ironically, those nasty prickers produce a histamine reaction (aka the rash and itch) when the plant is fresh, but when it's dried and used as an herb, it's the opposite.

Wife of terrific hubby and mom to 2 teenagers, 2 bunnies, 2 geriatric goldfish, and the best dog in the world!

Check out my blog: http://www.suburbanprairiehomemaker.com
and follow me on Facebook (Suburban Prairie Homemaker), Twitter (@sphomemaker), and Pinterest (Suburban Prairie Homemaker)

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2013 :  6:34:31 PM  Show Profile
I sure need the antihistamine. The pollen is horrible here right now. And I would much rather take something more natural.

I'm sure it grows around here but I just haven't ran across any yet. I just dried most of it tonight for tea. I made a cup of tea awhile ago and I love it. But it sure does sting!

Rosemary, how do you store yours? Just in a baggie? I hope to get more next week too.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2013 :  4:52:55 PM  Show Profile
I keep mine in ziploc bags in my herb cabinet (a very old buffet table). Nettle infusion is a really good drink and it's loaded with iron.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

True enlightenment is nothing but the nature of one's own self being fully realised-- His Holiness the Dali Lama

www.madameapothecary.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2013 :  6:00:09 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Rachel. I am loving this stuff already! I hope to be getting some seeds from someone who reads my blog who does not like it at all. I said I would take all she had. I want my own nettle patch. Someone else said that it spreads like mint, so might need to keep it somewhere that I could let it go. Although, I do love mint and don't mind it all over.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2013 :  08:23:35 AM  Show Profile
That is awesome, Kristin! I've found a good bit growing on the property here. I invested in a plant ID book for the southeast and it has been so AWESOME--I didn't realize what a gold mine of herbs I have here! Good luck with your nettles!!

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

True enlightenment is nothing but the nature of one's own self being fully realised-- His Holiness the Dali Lama

www.madameapothecary.com
Go to Top of Page

arabianhorselover
True Blue Farmgirl

422 Posts

Jennifer
Bedias TX
USA
422 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2013 :  09:55:06 AM  Show Profile
They are growing out of control here. I had no idea that you were able to use them in this way. Interesting!

Breeder of Straight Egyptian Arabians and SportHorses
www.whisperwindsarabians.com
Farmgirl Sister #561
Never squat with your spurs on!!!

www.throughjenslens.etsy.com
http://twitter.com/arabhorselover
http://kountrybumkinfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://fancyfeathersfarmgirls.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2013 :  10:25:09 AM  Show Profile
Well, now I don't know where I saw it, but I just read a really good article about nettles and their good benefits. Either Homestead Blessings or that new magazine that's on-line. But it told of how to harvest them all the way to putting them up. And what they're good for too. I'll try to find it again.

Jennifer, you should harvest some and try them. But be careful and wear armor! That article did say after they are boiled a few times, they lose the stingers.

Rachel, I also have a book I need to find. I need it now for all the good things growing in my yard right now. And the honey bees are all over today! Glad to see them here. I get my hive soon.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2013 :  11:36:02 AM  Show Profile
Kris, I store all my dried herbs in glass jars.

[/quote]
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2013 :  11:38:04 AM  Show Profile
Jennifer, you need to cut and dry your nettles! You might be sitting on a nice source of income :)
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2013 :  11:49:35 AM  Show Profile
http://homesteadrevival.blogspot.com/2013/04/tis-season-to-harvest-nettles.html Yay, I found it! I knew it was homestead something. This is really informative.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4219 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4219 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2013 :  04:30:36 AM  Show Profile
Wow they sell nettles! I guess I am sitting on a gold mine then. They are a nasty weed here. Kids learn to identify them at a young age! Good luck with getting some to grow Kris. I did dry some for my dad one year to drink as a tea. He liked it. I had heard you want to snip the young shoots for drying.
Michele
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2013 :  06:41:52 AM  Show Profile
http://www.woolymossroots.blogspot.com/

Check out Taryn at her blog above. She is in Oregon and talks a lot about what nettles have done for her.

Rachel, Jennifer, and Michele, y'all really do need to find a market for your nettles and sell them. The lady at my market was selling hers for $2 a small bag that first week, then went up to $3. She really should sell them for more because of all the work involved. I wouldn't mind paying more for someone else to pick them for me! But really really do want my own nettle patch right here. I just think they are the coolest plant ever. I just love how God has made so many good things for us and they're all weeds that most people don't want or know about. But people are really starting to get educated about the more natural foods and remedies now. Chattanooga is doing an amazing job doing this too. Our farmers here are really into all the natural foods too. So that helps when you go to a market and the farmer knows what he or she has and can tell you what to do with it. Or what it's good for. Like Plantain. And dandelions. SO GOOD for you. And people are killing them like crazy. I cry every time I see the commercial for the dandelion killer. I just cry.

I think I'm done now. So y'all get out there and pick ya some nettles now! The tea is really good too. And good for allergies. WHich I am having a hard time with right now. But do be careful! And that link on my other post has some really good tips too.

Kris

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Stinging Nettles Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page