Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 What potatoes do you serve on your Easter table?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What potatoes do you serve on your Easter table? Next Topic  

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2013 :  10:21:43 AM  Show Profile
I have been nominated to cook Easter dinner. I'm glad of it, because I love to cook for folks, but I seem to be running into a wall when it comes to potatoes. I made the Pioneer Woman's scalloped potatoes for Christmas Eve dinner and my mom said they were "just ok" (this coming from a woman who made scalloped potatoes from the Betty Crocker box my whole childhood!!!). She said she didn't like all the onion.

I don't want to simply put mashed out, because we eat those a lot just everyday dinner-wise.

Anyone want to pass on some favorites?

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2013 :  10:23:26 AM  Show Profile
My sister always brings her cheesie potatoes. It is similar to a scalloped potato but has asiago and gouda cheese.
Susan

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2013 :  10:41:32 AM  Show Profile
Mashed, also a side of mac and cheese

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2013 :  10:48:05 AM  Show Profile
We do roasted garlic potatoes and baby carrots at Easter, but we serve lamb vs. the traditional ham. :)

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2897 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2897 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2013 :  10:56:29 AM  Show Profile
Hey Jonni! I saw these on an episode of Pioneer Woman. Sort of a different take on a roasted potato. They look yummy!
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/crash-hot-potatoes-recipe/index.html

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.

Edited by - nubidane on Mar 20 2013 10:56:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2013 :  11:24:07 AM  Show Profile
I love mashed potatoes but with roasted mashed garlic and lots of Parmesan cheese and then parsley. And of course LOTS of butter, salt and pepper.

We're having Easter dinner here this year and I am going to be having a leg of lamb from one of my own lambs that were jsut butchered. I hope I can do it right. I love raost leg of lamb.

Good luck with your dinner, Jonni. You are a great cook, so don't worry.

Kris

The good beekeeper is generally more or less cranky. C.P. Dadant

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2013 :  12:08:43 PM  Show Profile
Thanks girls--
I'm thinking I'll stick with scalloped, simply because my husband lives on mashed, and the champ we made for St. Patrick's day week (we just finished on St. Patrick's day), and that's essentially mashed with a bunch of heavy cream and scallions.

Nini and Kris, dinner sounds good--we are having ham or pork loin, not sure which yet, but I have to make up my mind soon to order from the butcher. As much as I have tried, I cannot do lamb. It's not an aversion to lambs in life, but it's a flavor/smell thing for me when cooked. I've tried it about.....10 times and just can't do more than a bite, so I think I've given it the girl scout effort :)

Lisa, I've made those potatoes before from Pioneer Woman and highly recommend them--I love them in the place of fries or something like that when having burgers or steak. They're crunchy and buttery and salty and excellent! One of Justin's favorites, in fact.

Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2013 :  12:36:21 PM  Show Profile
I would put out my home made potato salad if it was warm outside. Otherwise, the mashed potatoes sound delicious. We would probably have some sort of sweet potatoes if we were eating ham.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2897 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2897 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2013 :  4:40:43 PM  Show Profile
Kind of off topic, but for the past 2 years we have started a tradition of sorts. Hubs & I own land in Indiana (50 acres) that we would LOVE to build on if we could afford all of the site prep(it is RAW). Well the past 2 Easters, our family has ventured to the land, built a huge fire, grilled assorted meats, made salads, hiked, played ball, & let the dogs swim in the pond. That says Hallelujiah to me!
This year I am making venison kabobs with venison from our property, shrimp ceviche, with local farm raised shrimp, roasted rosemary potatoes, & key lime cake.
Mom will bring scrumptious bean salad & good bread, & sis will be the appetizer queen.
Now PLEASE Lord!!! No rain!

PS, the ham, pork loin & scalloped potatoes have me equally hungry; I just wanted to share how our Easter has taken this unorthodox path!

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.

Edited by - nubidane on Mar 20 2013 4:58:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

momshopsalotta
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Connie
Hertford NC
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2013 :  5:15:55 PM  Show Profile
potato salad with bacon and fresh dill...yum!
Go to Top of Page

SarahJ
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Shreveport Louisiana
198 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2013 :  05:57:29 AM  Show Profile
Here's a potato casserole you can make ahead: http://bayoumama.wordpress.com/2012/07/23/diet-schmiet/

I guarantee your husband will love them.

SarahJ

Farmgirl Sister #116

http://bayoumama.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2013 :  06:59:16 AM  Show Profile
Jonni,

I have been wanting to try this recipe but my Mom lives with us now and she requested Sweet Potatoes for Easter dinner. These sure look good and and tasty. I lOVE Gruyere cheese!

http://www.stonegableblog.com/2011/11/muffin-tin-onion-gruyere-potato-stacks.html

Lisa,

The Crash Hot Potatoes are very good and like Jonni, I would definitely recommend them too. When my honey and I first got married my Dad was upset because we chose to go hiking and have a picnic our first Thanksgiving together :)

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon
Go to Top of Page

SandraM
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Sandra
Coldwater Michigan
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2013 :  07:55:07 AM  Show Profile
We have mashed with gravy and my mom usually does cheesy potatoes (with hasbrowns)

Sandra
www.mittenstatesheepandwool.com
Go to Top of Page

Nanniekim
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Kim
Arizona
206 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2013 :  2:56:31 PM  Show Profile
My family loves these easy cheese potatoes -

2 pkg. frozen hash brown
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 pt. sour cream
2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 c. chopped onion

Mix all together. Bake in a greased 10x13 pan at 350* for about an hour. I usually bake it about 1 1/2 hours because my family likes it brown and crispy around the edges.
Around our neck of the woods they are called "funeral potatoes" since they are usually served at meals after funerals.

Kim
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2013 :  7:00:35 PM  Show Profile
Since my whole family has recently had to go gluten free and dairy free, I am oven roasting golden and small red potatoes with salt and pepper and olive oil. That will go nicely with spiral cut ham and french green beans cooked with sea salt and olive oil. There has been a big diet change for us. It has been a process but still yields really good food!

Farmgirl #31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2013 :  06:23:46 AM  Show Profile
Lots of great suggestions, here. In terms of dinner structure, I was trying to determine whether I wanted the veggie to be a gratin (asparagus makes a wonderful gratin) or save the "ooze" for potatoes. I found a great spring veggie sautee with asparagus, green beans and green onions, so I think I'm going to do that and use the cheezy, creamy goodness on potatoes.

One of these recipes, with the hash browns, reminds me that my mom makes a really good cheesy potato dish. I might just employ her for this and then I can stop thinking about it :)

@Lisa, that sounds wonderful. Hope the weather is good for you. Seems like it's supposed to warm up a little by Sunday--based on the stupid snow today, I sure hope so. My spririt has been sorely abused by this weather.
Thanks for the help, gals!

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What potatoes do you serve on your Easter table? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page